What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Charity Shield

True_Believer

Juniors
The reason we never do well in this game in the McGregor era is that he seems to like to flog the players the weeks before Round 1, then have us taper. It didn't really affect us in the Newy trial as it was a completely different line up in the 2nd half.

This week, our starters played more minutes to try and simulate a real game. I assume his theory is the more miles in the legs now will benefit us during the season. This hasn't really worked in season's past, but hey, that's Mary.

The first half was probably a better indicator when the starters on both sides were on. Our defensive intensity was evident and we did ok. 2nd half, the Souths 2nd team were playing flat out, as most are trying to secure a spot in the 17 (much like our 2nd team last week against Newcastle).

Our defence dropped noticeably in the 2nd 40, as does always seems to happen in this game.

So I'm gonna hold off on the razor blades until we actually get flogged in a proper game.

Spot on. He has done it in previous years and he's doing it again. How many changes did Souths make at half time compared to us? It was essentially a different Souths side against the same team in the second half. We were tired and just couldn't keep up the intensity against a fresh team.

Like you, I'm not going to judge anything on last week or this week. As we've seen in past years, Mary plays as many of the first grade players for as long as he can in the trials and he tends to hold back on how we are actually going to play in the season proper. I've seen it too many times in previous years to think he's going to change it this time.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It’s easy to score points if you have a good attack, just look at our multitude of wins under Bennett...

And easy to defend points it you have a good defence..

Clear example is our game
in Wollongong in around ‘10 or ‘11 when we defended 6 sets of 6 on our line vs manly...

Whilst I applaud your efforts playing junior footy, it’s difficult to translate your experience into those of the first grade team..
You are deflecting this conversation into a completely different direction to suit your narrative as usual. Not once did I mention goal line defence, and did BB miss any tackles or let in a try which would lead you down that rabbit hole? Winning games is largely about swinging the possession around and getting in good field position. Yes sometimes teams will win with an uneven share of possession but over the course of a season no matter how good the defence an uneven share is always going to catch up with you. We didn't look like getting into the contest besides an against the run of play try off a kick. As soon as BB come on we rolled up the field and he setup a try. We immediately started to swing the possession around and look more dangerous. Watch the game again if you have time between trolling people to make your wang feel bigger.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Norman was disappointing
Clune showed more urgency and skill and put a lot presuure on the defence.
Clune over Norman

Aitkin should have scored that try himself. Any decent centre would have crossed the line.
Wiliame or Fui would have done so.
Wiliame or Fui Aitkin

Lafai needs one more crack in round 1
As centre otherwise its Sailor's turn.

I would rotate Sailor and Lomax.
Centre to FB.
I don’t think there’s an issue with our halves. If origin selectors see something, there must be something. It’s the backline. There’s haphazard coaching there. I’m glad Flanno is refining our defence, but we need to highlight what we are missing in attack and coach the big money halves we have and not just let them make it up. Controlled flair. That’s what needs to happen. Hunt and Cozza Nozza have it in them, they just lack discipline

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You are deflecting this conversation into a completely different direction to suit your narrative as usual. Not once did I mention goal line defence, and did BB miss any tackles or let in a try which would lead you down that rabbit hole? Winning games is largely about swinging the possession around and getting in good field position. Yes sometimes teams will win with an uneven share of possession but over the course of a season no matter how good the defence an uneven share is always going to catch up with you. We didn't look like getting into the contest besides an against the run of play try off a kick. As soon as BB come on we rolled up the field and he setup Vaughan. We immediately started to swing the possession around and look more dangerous. Watch the game again if you have time between trolling people to make your wang feel bigger.
See, you always switch to personal attacks when you’re losing a debate..

It’s a shame as it negates any points you had previously made..

You’re talking about league being a game of metres brewing the key to the win, but suddenly the lack of metres is not due to our apparent saviour (who managed to lose us points as well as metres)

Come on bro, I’m frustrated as you are at losing another charity shield, but I’m still not really sure how your experience playing u/13s hooker would have turned that result around..

SaintPauli

Juniors
I don’t think there’s an issue with our halves. If origin selectors see something, there must be something. It’s the backline. There’s haphazard coaching there. I’m glad Flanno is refining our defence, but we need to highlight what we are missing in attack and coach the big money halves we have and not just let them make it up. Controlled flair. That’s what needs to happen. Hunt and Cozza Nozza have it in them, they just lack discipline
Norman's short kick in goals are as bad as last year. We just keep giving 7 tackle returns. We were the worst with general play kicks. This evenings game looked no different in playing style etc to last year.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Almost 2 years ago I worked out that the only way Aitken wasn't getting picked, was if he was injured. lol I didn't want him in the team back then and still don't.
You’re our saviour Frank.. You should probably tell Mary your thoughts.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
See, you always switch to personal attacks when you’re losing a debate..

It’s a shame as it negates any points you had previously made..

You’re talking about league being a game of metres brewing the key to the win, but suddenly the lack of metres is not due to our apparent saviour (who managed to lose us points as well as metres)

Come on bro, I’m frustrated as you are at losing another charity shield, but I’m still not really sure how your experience playing u/13s hooker would have turned that result around..
Mate I played for over 20 years you donut. Have you ever laced up a set of boots? be honest with me I nearly guarantee you haven't.

Dragon David

First Grade
I didn’t care who won the game, I was more interested to watch how some of the juniors went, Lomax had a shocker, but I would stick with him, Aitken and Lafaii have reached new heights in how they perform, will be our starting centers in round one, Vaughan and Frizell played well, Sims was not involved. that much, not his fault.
Norman and Hunt did nothing, but will be our starting halves.
Going to be a long season.
I recorded the game as I went out with the family to celebrate birthdays. I found out that we didn't do all that well in the second half (message from my brother who is also a Dragons fanatic). So I wont be desperate to watch the game. Reading the posts on this thread about the game seems to me that it is very obvious that we do not want:-
Mary - in particular
Lafai
Aitken
Norman
and want several positional player changes.

I agree with these and what I must say is that Mary should have given the new guys more time in the game seeing that it was only a trial. We know how useless Lafai and Aitken are - only have them on for 20 minutes then take them off and leave them off. Take Norman and Hunt off as well and keep the likes of Clune and Sailor on for much longer - it is only a trial game as I said and unfortunately we have not won the shield since 2012 I think so another loss is not going to kill us as it was essential to see how the other kids would perform.

I just hope that our defence has improved. I don't think our attack was much chop seeing that we didn't score in the second half. That is why we need a good ball player like Clune playing in the halves for the full 80 minutes. I've said it in other threads, Clune is like Keary and that is the sort of player we need to give us better attacking options. Norman isn't the guy to do this and should not be in the team. Hunt tries too hard and should try and play with a lot more composure.

We will now have to wait to see who is picked for Round 1 against the Tigers. If it is a team comprising the same players who just do not make things happen or do not tackle ball and all (Steve Rogers style), then we will be languishing at the bottom from game 1 onwards.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Norman's short kick in goals ate as bas as last year. We just keep giving 7 tackle returns. We were the worst with general play kicks. This evenings game looked no different in playing style etc to last year.
Correct. He’s not playing with controlled confidence. We now have a Defensive coach but who is focusing on our attack coaching wise. We all know Mc Peanut just talks. As I mentioned, the Queensland selectors see something in Cozza Nozza, and granted, they have thankfully lost the games he played in, but there’s talent there. His attitude has changed, just needs some refinement. Hopefully our justified concerns after the 9s and two trial games get ironed out before the season proper.

Dragon David

First Grade
We need a complete new no 6 and no 7 did shit all game. 2nd half got beaten by a under 20s no7 and no 6 shit.
Overpaid and underachieving halves - what a joke. These positions are so important for our attack. Its no use defending when we do not have any points to defend. Get the attack right and then defend all the points gained.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Lol..

Keyboard heroism 1.01..

Yes, I’ve laced up boots..

That’s a pretty shit guarantee..
All you do is troll people, that is literally all you do. You have pages and pages of trolling people. You never enter a conversation unless it begins with a trolling. That isn't normal, normal people don't do that. If that is the way you get your kicks its a pretty sad and immature way to live your life. Im not sure how old you are but I hope to god when I'm retired my life isn't sitting around in front of a computer all day long trolling people. Thats all I will say on that because I don't want to annoy anyone on here any further. Ive tried blocking you but I cant. I will not respond to one of your posts again ever. Its too toxic for me.

Crush

Coach
Our centres, Aitken and Lafai, are the 2 weakest in the comp. They rank 31 and 32.
Lomax is solid at absolute best but doesn't have an ounce of Xfactor. He'll never turn a game like Turbo, Teddy, CNK and many more.
Our backline is absolutely terrible.
Halves looked rubbish too, crabbing sideways.
Long season if we preserver with this backline.

Latest posts