What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 NRL Nines February 14-15

Happy MEel

First Grade
I agree.

We played a 13-man 9's tournament, which I reckon lends credence to my theory that our priority was to get some match fitness.
You’re probably right, especially considering we only have the one other trial against the Panthers. Matto’s interview suggests they were there to “have some fun”, but there would have been some expectations With sending a strong side over there, so a semi final is passable.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Also probably had 5 of our highest paid players - Moses, Gutho, Paulo, Fergo and Matterson

True.

But consider the following:

* Moses is playing at a different weight
* Matterson is new to our structures
* Ferguson missed a chunk of 2019 through injury
* Junior is notoriously a slow starter come the regular season

To me, it's pretty clear that winning the tournament was our secondary goal; it seems clear to me that Arthur wanted his key players to get some mileage in their legs, and acclimate to real football, under our Eels structures.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You’re probably right, especially considering we only have the one other trial against the Panthers. Matto’s interview suggests they were there to “have some fun”, but there would have been some expectations With sending a strong side over there, so a semi final is passable.

I'm happy.

I think we defended very well, but attacked worse than we are capable of at our best - and we still made the semi-final.

But my biggest hope was for no serious injuries.

Happy MEel

First Grade
True.

But consider the following:

* Moses is playing at a different weight
* Matterson is new to our structures
* Ferguson missed a chunk of 2019 through injury
* Junior is notoriously a slow starter come the regular season

To me, it's pretty clear that winning the tournament was our secondary goal; it seems clear to me that Arthur wanted his key players to get some mileage in their legs, and acclimate to real football, under our Eels structures.
Just on Moses’ weight increase, he remains dynamic but his defence was exceptional.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Haze Dunster looked a first grader in the making from what I saw.
Yeah he impressed me. I had absolutely no time for the merkin last year but he’s progressing pretty well. Still a way off first grade but there has definitely been some improvement.

hindy111

Post Whore
Haze Dunster looked a first grader in the making from what I saw.

Yes I liked what I saw. In NSW cup he seemed a little weak. He has improved his power.
Has plenty of toe also. Him and Parry would add some speed to our backline.

Jnrs footwork is exceptional for a big man. Stefano lacks any. Nikauore style also could do with a bit more foot work.

Stone played hooker. He is not a hooker. Thought he did ok. He showed aggression in defense. I'd be happy to have him on the bench at 14. I doubt he will be a star but could be a solid first grader.
If we want a utility on bench we have

Stone, Taka , Salmon, Davies ,W.Smith
I like W.Smith or Stone for the spot. Tbh.