1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

2020 R16 Sat - Panthers 30-6 Wests Tigers @ Panthers

Discussion in 'Game Day Spoilers / Match Discussion' started by LeagueUnlimited News, Aug 23, 2020.

?

Round 16: Panthers v Wests Tigers

Poll closed Aug 29, 2020.
  1. Penrith Panthers

85.0%
  2. Wests Tigers

15.0%
  3. Draw after Golden Point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sensesmaybenumbed

sensesmaybenumbed Moderator Staff Member

Not doubting that, but the fact he signed them all then bailed certainly deserves criticism. He was given free reign to create the roster he wanted, which has ensured years of failure for the club that he doesn't have to deal with.

Instead, he's walked into a team that is stacked with talent and form, thanks to others.

Fans of any team would harbour resentment for however long the problems left behind by the coach in question remained. The fact he went to Penrith isn't the issue in my eyes. He could have retired or gone into commentary, motivational speaking or flower arranging for all I care.

The mess he left behind deserves criticism.

The Moist Captain likes this.
  2. ACTPanthers

ACTPanthers Bench

Like I said mate, I understand, and I'd probably be just a salty at the bloke as you are, for a time at least.

But when almost every thread is being derailed and turned into some kind of emotional outlet for your fans to continually bemoan Ivan Cleary, it gets boring.

And again, I'll say that I DO understand, and I WOULD be pretty pissed off if it were to happen to my team, but I'm also a 'burn hot but fast" kind of guy and would get over it pretty quickly.

3. sensesmaybenumbed

I dare say people will get over it when the mess he left behind is gone.

The belting I'm expecting Penrith to hand out on Saturday night will be in large part due to the coaching decisions Cleary made before he went to Penrith.

I don't blame the Panthers, or their fans for that, and I wish them every success that they'll achieve (and probably would have under any coach fortunate enough to be in the role) but so long as his mess remains at Wests Tigers this garbage will be raised every time he coaches against them. It's tiring but it's deserved.

The defence of Ivan Cleary offered by many fans of other teams along with the 'salty' tag simply betrays an ignorance of the reasons behind the reaction he has caused.

Of course we're f**king salty.

If a housemate signed you up in a sharehouse to get a big box of shit delivered every week for 3 years at your expense then moved out next week, leaving you with the bill and the shit you'd be salty too...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    The Moist Captain and Ron's_Mate like this.
  4. ACTPanthers

ACTPanthers Bench

Ok mate, I don't know what else to say to this... If you think it's fine to continually bring up the same old gripes all the time, go nuts. IMO though, it's not healthy and just boring.

(Again, I feel I need to clarify this, I understand your anger, I just think it's going a little over the top now)

5. sensesmaybenumbed

Not angry, that's for sure. The disappointment is just the most recent in a loooong history. So long as people chime in with 'lulz, tigers fans so salty', they deserve a reminder about why.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    ACTPanthers likes this.
  6. gerg

gerg Juniors

Eels fans are still salty with Ricky despite him actually cleaning up their mess. It's the nature of rugba leuge

7. ACTPanthers

ACTPanthers Bench

Yeah, but Eels fans are just f**king weird and can't be held to the same standards as regular humans...

8. sensesmaybenumbed

Paging @Bazal

ACTPanthers likes this.
  9. Leber

Leber Juniors

This game doesn't even need to be played to have an interesting game thread.

10. The Charlatan

The Charlatan Coach

Who is the overly optimistic/insane individual who thinks the Tigers even stand a remote chance?

11. sensesmaybenumbed

Ah, the Silverdale phantom strikes again

12. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

Sliding down a track of ice on your back at 100km/h wearing footy gear.

13. sensesmaybenumbed

Two words.

Jamie Lyons...

14. The Charlatan

The Charlatan Coach

I won't lie and say it doesn't piss me off anymore. It's still a bit raw when the media dredge it up.

But in all honesty, it's a one way feud. You guys are 10, likely to be 11 on the trot after this weekend. Outright first, got the squad to be able to take it out. Everything worked out nicely for Ivan, and the Panthers officials who had a hand in getting him over there. And of course Panthers fans will be happy that their club is going well, the ends have somewhat justified the means.

The Tigers fans questioning/attacking his loyalty and integrity may have stung initially, but he's well forgotten about it now, and no amount of yelling at him through a coaches box window is going to wipe the smile off his face if they get the chocolates in the first weekend in October.

Ivan is an easy target for Tigers fans repeated disappointment, because he was one we can externalise our frustrations and anger about repeated under-performance for a change rather than looking inward like we normally have to.

15. TheEroticGamer

TheEroticGamer Juniors

I don’t get why Tigers fans harass Ivan. If the manager of Accrington Stanley got an opportunity to manage Real Madrid would you blame him for taking it?

16. soc123_au

soc123_au Coach

I get were the Tigers fans are coming from. If the same thing happened without their cap being f**ked with overpriced hacks I think they would be over it by now. To be fair the cap situation isn't all on Ivan, the board needs to take responsibility as well. Ironically they also seem to forget they poached our CEO while under contract too. Because it turned out another shit appointment it gets forgotten.

I know I had a seething hatred of the Roosters from the time they poached Freddy until he retired. I also know I wasnt alone among fellow Panther fans. Some still havent gotten over it.

GongPanther likes this.
  17. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

Ivan would have said "Yeah I want that one" "No I don't want that one" but I very much doubt he would have had much to do with price negotiations. Wests Tigers have to pay overs because they are Wests Tigers. The answer is obvious. Develop your own talent. They've done it before. No doubt the experience with Tedesco/Moses/Woods would have put them off.

18. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

Sorry I was sitting in the yard buried up to the waist in potting mix while a homeless man poured champagne into my mouth through a hose.

What's up?

19. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Bench

Oh my Lordie that person is a punish of the highest order.

Verbal poo.

20. sensesmaybenumbed

You absolute sicko.

Champagne?

Pinot Grigio or gtfo.

The Charlatan likes this.