What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbits20

Immortal
South Sydney have lodged an official complaint against Channel 7 over coverage of Latrell Mitchell’s return from isolation to training.

What's The Buzz: bit.ly/2LfgouE

Can‘t view it though.

callmack1

Staff member
NRL reacts to League’s one referee plan when the competition restarts on May 28: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...8/news-story/9471fb0b8221545d755de783f11b612a

Rugby League players to be forced to decide between state and Test level Footy: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/rugby-...el-footy/1e3311e2-f138-470d-b5c5-7593dfb83f21

South Sydney have lodged an official complaint against Channel 7 over coverage of Latrell Mitchell’s return from isolation to training.

What's The Buzz: bit.ly/2LfgouE

Can‘t view it though.
Good!! Absolutely disgusting from Channel 7.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
NRL referees rule out strike action despite ‘outrageous’ one Ref proposal: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7bae6ff7205c512f3d9caeebeff2e677

From Sporting News,

NRL Head of Football Graham Annesley defends switch back to one Referee system

This is going to cause a lot of debate ahead of the May 28 return , isn't it?

After news broke on Friday about the NRL looking to move back to one referee for the remainder of the 2020 season, there have been plenty of differing opinions.

Manly coach Des Hasler slammed the plan on Saturday morning in a media call, saying he feels it could be 'disastrous' for the game.

But NRL Head of Football Graham Annesley has come out and defended the plan, and elaborated on why they have come to the decision for the 2020 season.

“It’s something we have been looking at over the last month or so, and I have had some discussions with the chairman and Wayne Pearce," he told ABC Grandstand.

“It’s probably a combination of a lot of things...one of the challenges we have is revenue, and because of the disruption to our season and no crowds, there is a question mark over revenue so we are looking where we can cut costs.

"However, we have got to make sure we still provide the standard of game people expect.

"There are still a lot of people out there who are big fans of the single referee, and this year will give us an opportunity to settle that debate once and for all about whether two referees are better than one."

It will cause a lot of conjecture in the coming weeks, and there is definitely going to be challenges over how the referees control the ruck among other things.

Annesley also opened up on potential plans for the one referee system in future seasons, as well as the challenges for the on-field officials.

"If it is a success, it will be considered beyond this season but there is a long way to go between now and then," he said.

"No many how many referees we have on the field, we are going to have controversy and we know that – it has been that way for 110 or so years.

"We want to do everything we can to get the level of officiating up to standard, and if we can do that with one referee that’s great. Both of those options will remain on the table.

“The ruck is going to be our biggest challenge. Some things have changed since the day of single referees – for example, the Bunker. I’m not suggesting the second referee will be sitting in the Bunker away from the venue – they won’t be interrupting or interfering with the referee’s control of the game.

"We spoke about with Trent Robinson and Wayne Bennett about the need to introduce more fatigue in the game, to breakdown defensive lines and make it more exciting to watch."

Rabbits20

Immortal
NRL referees rule out strike action despite ‘outrageous’ one Ref proposal: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7bae6ff7205c512f3d9caeebeff2e677

From Sporting News,

NRL Head of Football Graham Annesley defends switch back to one Referee system

This is going to cause a lot of debate ahead of the May 28 return , isn't it?

After news broke on Friday about the NRL looking to move back to one referee for the remainder of the 2020 season, there have been plenty of differing opinions.

Manly coach Des Hasler slammed the plan on Saturday morning in a media call, saying he feels it could be 'disastrous' for the game.

But NRL Head of Football Graham Annesley has come out and defended the plan, and elaborated on why they have come to the decision for the 2020 season.

“It’s something we have been looking at over the last month or so, and I have had some discussions with the chairman and Wayne Pearce," he told ABC Grandstand.

“It’s probably a combination of a lot of things...one of the challenges we have is revenue, and because of the disruption to our season and no crowds, there is a question mark over revenue so we are looking where we can cut costs.

"However, we have got to make sure we still provide the standard of game people expect.

"There are still a lot of people out there who are big fans of the single referee, and this year will give us an opportunity to settle that debate once and for all about whether two referees are better than one."

It will cause a lot of conjecture in the coming weeks, and there is definitely going to be challenges over how the referees control the ruck among other things.

Annesley also opened up on potential plans for the one referee system in future seasons, as well as the challenges for the on-field officials.

"If it is a success, it will be considered beyond this season but there is a long way to go between now and then," he said.

"No many how many referees we have on the field, we are going to have controversy and we know that – it has been that way for 110 or so years.

"We want to do everything we can to get the level of officiating up to standard, and if we can do that with one referee that’s great. Both of those options will remain on the table.

“The ruck is going to be our biggest challenge. Some things have changed since the day of single referees – for example, the Bunker. I’m not suggesting the second referee will be sitting in the Bunker away from the venue – they won’t be interrupting or interfering with the referee’s control of the game.

"We spoke about with Trent Robinson and Wayne Bennett about the need to introduce more fatigue in the game, to breakdown defensive lines and make it more exciting to watch."
I have heard them say they’ll fix up the ruck many times over and over so I’ll believe it when I actually see it consistently.

Travitoh

First Grade
I have heard them say they’ll fix up the ruck many times over and over so I’ll believe it when I actually see it consistently.

The problem is that when they did try in 2018 the officials got berated for the number of penalties that were being blown instead of questioning the players who continued to offend 10 weeks into the season.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Righteo I have the Sunday Telegraph right in front of me.

Seven chases Star

Source: Sunday Telegraph

Seven sent reporter Peter Fegan and a cameraman to Latrell’s home to get footage from the street and to ask questions about his testing for Coronavirus.

A furious Rabbitohs chief executive Blake Solly fired off a complaint the next day. “We allowed the broadcasters here on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday,” he said. “There was no need for them to be there. He’s got two daughters under three and he shouldn’t have a TV camera outside his house. We spoke to Channel 7 and Jim Wilson was apologetic. It was unnecessary.”

Seven news director Jason Morrison issued a statement last night. This is the first I’ve heard of any offical complaint.

There has been no contact from any South Sydney representative to myself. I stand by the reporter and cameraman’s actions. At no stage did they go anywhere near any children at the address and the address was not shown.

callmack1

Staff member
Paul Kent blasts one referee shift as a threat to integrity of 2020 NRL competition: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/bea112168ce3b7f7d8847d62159c1c7b

Miffed NRL refs not ruling out strike over mooted one-referee model: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...o/news-story/171b45d279da65cf5943d315dd4f3b1f

NRL poised to seal seven-year $2.3 billion broadcast deal: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7bae6ff7205c512f3d9caeebeff2e677

Righteo I have the Sunday Telegraph right in front of me.

Seven chases Star

Source: Sunday Telegraph

Seven sent reporter Peter Fegan and a cameraman to Latrell’s home to get footage from the street and to ask questions about his testing for Coronavirus.

A furious Rabbitohs chief executive Blake Solly fired off a complaint the next day. “We allowed the broadcasters here on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday,” he said. “There was no need for them to be there. He’s got two daughters under three and he shouldn’t have a TV camera outside his house. We spoke to Channel 7 and Jim Wilson was apologetic. It was unnecessary.”

Seven news director Jason Morrison issued a statement last night. This is the first I’ve heard of any offical complaint.

There has been no contact from any South Sydney representative to myself. I stand by the reporter and cameraman’s actions. At no stage did they go anywhere near any children at the address and the address was not shown.
Good stuff Souths! As I've said before, it was disgusting from Channel 7.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The problem is that when they did try in 2018 the officials got berated for the number of penalties that were being blown instead of questioning the players who continued to offend 10 weeks into the season.
Fair point. For mine though they need to be more ruthless with the sin bin especially for deliberate ones where the other team is attacking.

Travitoh

First Grade
Fair point. For mine though they need to be more ruthless with the sin bin especially for deliberate ones where the other team is attacking.

I couldn't agree more and have had the opinion for a while that holding down in the ruck penalties should be considered professional fouls.

southsport

First Grade
I couldn't agree more and have had the opinion for a while that holding down in the ruck penalties should be considered professional fouls.
Holding down in the ruck probably affects Souths more than some of the top clubs as we often have trouble scoring when attacking the line.

callmack1

Staff member
‘The game will become too fast’: Laurie Daley and Buzz Rothfield clash over NRL rule changes: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/ef2a2415f3eec8320469367e7a440ddd

V’landys wants one-Referee system to cut costs... but this $2 million asset won’t be a casualty: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/vl...y/news-story/21d1be32e443c143dd248b3e4878ea57

DCE, Robbo in high-stakes phone hook-up over NRL Refs controversy: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/41935b2724bec01c09fee52e45d9eaf1

Peter V'Landys could soon be lost to Rugby League: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/82ed4e1d46870267347d92e5d4ed5b7e

Two more Sydney NRL clubs will be forced to merge in next decade, Phil Gould warns: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brad-f...-for-nrl/c0bdd8ce-9a5f-439d-afed-8dbeec735c67

Paul Gallen backs one Referee but has big questions over new ruck rule: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/paul-g...troversy/1e4686c1-ad09-4cb7-adfb-8dd7a98524aa

Timing of proposed NRL ruck change queried: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/timing...-queried/7b8b3d8e-0358-4064-89e4-132140cf7df4

callmack1

Staff member
You test the limits’ - Klemmer says players will target ruck under one-Referee system: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/8ff18dc5d3bb1e937629a32fee4235da

Billy Slater reveals the major frustration that will be solved with NRL's one-Referee rule: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/billy-...e-change/0890ad23-f918-4bb7-bd0d-0f65b6aba0aa

From the Daily Telegraph,

NRL aims to eliminate wrestling and will save $3 million in process

Rugby league boss Peter V’Landys is determined to eliminate the “biggest blight on the game” and the NRL will save $3 million in the process.

Peter V’landys isn’t about to be swayed by the concerns of coaches that reverting to one referee will be another win for ugly wrestling tactics.

The move will save the NRL in the vicinity of $3 million and the ARL Commission chairman also pointed out that the two-referee system used for the past decade hadn’t eliminated wrestling.

“Everyone tells me the greatest blight on the game is the wrestle. Well, two referees hasn’t stopped it,” V’landys said.

V’landys said the introduction of the six-again rule in conjunction with one referee would provide a huge deterrent to wrestling.

The six-again rule was trialled in an All Stars game in 2012 and received considerable support. It allows a referee to restart a tackle count at any point if there is a ruck infringement.

The idea will be thrashed out further on Monday at a meeting involving some of the game’s best football brains, including Michael Maguire, Trent Robinson, Cooper Cronk, leading referee Matt Cecchin and RLPA boss Clint Newton, as well as NRL head of football Graham Annesley and commissioner Wayne Pearce.

It will then be put to the commission to sign off on and is expected to get the green light despite the controversy it has caused.

Reverting to one referee is a proposal Annesley put forward last week. And the former top whistleblower doesn’t believe that blindly taking advice from coaches is always best practice when determining the rules of the game.

“Wayne Bennett said at the Apollo meeting on Friday, and Wayne has said this to me on many occasions over the years, ‘Why do you guys let the coaches have so much say? Our job is to coach, your job is to come up with the rules’,” Annesley said.

“And he always says to me that coaches will always try to manipulate it to their own advantage. And it is true. We might have coaches blowing up but it is a very, very unique year, and this does present us with an opportunity.”

V’landys added: “Don’t forget you have still got two touch judges, you have got a referee in the grandstand and two in the bunker. How many referees do we need?

“I totally support it. There are just too many referees and we have to cut expenses.”

Asked how much it could save the game, V’landys said: “Over a season, probably two to three million. It is a lot of money.”

Annesley is confident the referees will quickly adjust and perform at an acceptable standard despite the short notice.

“Of course they can,’’ Annesley said. “They are professional and they do it in international games anyway.

“I know there are going to be people blowing up. But it is a divided issue. There are people out there who for many years have been saying we should go back to one referee.

“I think what this will help do is resolve it once and for all whether one or two (referees) is the right answer.

“Every time we play international games and people see one referee, they say, ‘you know, what was the problem with one referee?’

“The one thing we know is that whether we have one referee, two or 10, there is still going to be refereeing controversy. But one of the things people complain about with two referees is that there is too much inconsistency between one referee and the other.

“And they think the two referees on the field does have a negative impact on the game.

“I have a responsibility for us to make sure that we live within our means this year as a member of the executive and we all have to look where we can cut some costs.

“But I also have a responsibility to make sure we do that in a way that is not going to have a negative impact on the game. I don’t know the answer. My point is we are going to find out.”

Rabbits20

Immortal
Funny how Uncle Nick is speaking out now that he’s against what V’Landy’ is doing. (We all knew he would as the Roosters and Storm for mine are the two worst wrestling teams in the comp).

Also restarting the ladder like Politis wants for mine also would just be silly. Of course it’s only as his mob haven’t won yet that he wants it. If they’d won both games he wouldn’t be asking for it,

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/3565da2bf16a681cc495ee2fb8aa2c7c

Rabbits20

Immortal
#BREAKING

James Roberts’ career is at the crossroads with the Rabbitohs star checking himself into a rehabilitation facility for the third time in his career.

I can’t open the article though, it’s from the Tele.

I must say good on him for fronting up to it, but this is really sad.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Last edited:

Latest posts