What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

callmack1

Staff member

handyman2190

Bench
I have felt that over the past 2 seasons the amount and quality of players available to be purchased by clubs has dwindled exponentially. Weather because of 2 reasons , clubs seem to be holding on to players more, probably because they cant find better or the expense is excessive, and truthfully ive noticed there isn't enough players to go around. Imagine then a second Brisbane team entering the fray, even less to go around.
Are we in decline??
We lost 3 forwards,2 were at least in the top of the game and weve replaced 1, for next year, how do we stay in the top 4 with that loss? We must have money to burn considering we also lost GI on over the mill and replaced him with a cheaper player.

callmack1

Staff member
New rules generate incredible numbers – and huge disparities: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/04/new-rules-generate-incredible-numbers--and-huge-disparities/

Stat Attack - GPS data shows fatigue factor kicking in: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/04/stat-attack-gps-data-shows-fatigue-factor-kicking-in/

This stat shows six-again has changed the game for hookers - Who is thriving and suffering: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/404eff6ea8d8cb03adf6936f22cbb913

Sydney NRL Grand Final not 'up in the air': https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/sydney...-the-air/92ae69b7-17b7-4a61-9fde-2c672b4e0c3d

handyman2190

Bench
Addo-Carr keen to return to Souths but salary cap a sticking point: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ad...ary-cap-a-sticking-point-20200604-p54zgf.html

Potentially big news here. Would love to see it happen but it just might not be possible.
I just dont believe it,the only reason we wouldnt take carr is that we need at least 2 forwards, loosing sutto,and 2 burgi, signing 1 leaves in my book a sizeable amount, i dont believe a word about cap etc, bryson is on his last year dillon has done jack since coming,if we cant find 400k im a bad judge

Travitoh

First Grade
I just dont believe it,the only reason we wouldnt take carr is that we need at least 2 forwards, loosing sutto,and 2 burgi, signing 1 leaves in my book a sizeable amount, i dont believe a word about cap etc, bryson is on his last year dillon has done jack since coming,if we cant find 400k im a bad judge

If releasing 2 players freed up $400k, only $300k would be able to be put towards JAC as the other $100k would be needed for another player to fill the 30 man squad.

Hellray

Juniors
If releasing 2 players freed up $400k, only $300k would be able to be put towards JAC as the other $100k would be needed for another player to fill the 30 man squad.

Do we then go another way and chase another former junior in Jason Saab (word has it we have inquired about him) he would come cheaper and then we can focus more funds to upgrading our forward pack?

Travitoh

First Grade
Do we then go another way and chase another former junior in Jason Saab (word has it we have inquired about him) he would come cheaper and then we can focus more funds to upgrading our forward pack?

If he wasn't a former junior, would the interest still be there?
Why did he leave?
Would he be better than what Souths currently have?
The fact that he's asked for a release out of a poor StGI side that he hasn't been playing for concerns me.

Souths currently have 5 first grade standard outside backs to fill 4 spots, 6 if we include Goodwin.
Edene Gebbie, Steve Marsters and Jaxson Paulo are also in reserve with a view to future seasons as well as a few others.
I've not seen Saab play but apart from his height, i don't see a reason to pursue him.

Travitoh

First Grade
Going to put a point of discussion out there...
Has Wayne Bennett taken Souths backwards?
In the last 12 months the club has gone 9-12. The 12 months before that they went 19-7.
I struggle to find anyone that has improved under Bennett, nor do i see an improved gameplan.
I'm not saying he should be sacked but it is definitely a valid question imo.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
In the last 12 months the club has gone 9-12. The 12 months before that they went 19-7.
I struggle to find anyone that has improved under Bennett, nor do i see an improved gameplan.

I can't wait until he is gone. Hasn't done much since he has been here except cause a bit of fanfare because of his 'legacy'
I believe he was only to coach Burgess and Inglis both are now gone so he is just collecting his paycheck. Hopefully Demetriou gives us a freshen up because we need it

Travitoh

First Grade
I can't wait until he is gone. Hasn't done much since he has been here except cause a bit of fanfare because of his 'legacy'
I believe he was only to coach Burgess and Inglis both are now gone so he is just collecting his paycheck. Hopefully Demetriou gives us a freshen up because we need it

Does Demetriou take over next season is it still Bennett?

I’d him in an overseer role and throw in Demetriou now.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph, this is exciting!

THE 16-YEAR-OLD WORTH $2 MILLION

This is the freakish 16-year-old footballer who is about to become the first $2 million teenager in rugby league history.

In August, Joseph Suaalii will sign a four-year contract with the South Sydney Rabbitohs worth almost $500,000 per season, such is the demand from rugby union and rival NRL clubs.

Check out his video highlights package (attack and defence) on our website and you’ll see for yourself.

It seriously shows that Latrell Mitchell will be a short-term fullback at Redfern because this rookie is already being compared with Greg Inglis and Israel Folau as youngsters at Melbourne Storm.

Suaalii cannot play first grade until he turns 18 in August next year but Wayne Bennett thinks so highly of the 197cm giant that he trained him with the first-grade squad in the off-season at just 16.

8c60113a856de6c4182b5170af7cd215

Suaalii has long been tipped for big things.

Sam Burgess is reluctant to put too much pressure on the youngster but admits he’s impressed.

“In the pre-season we tested him out with a bit of physical stuff and he responded,” Burgess said.

“He was ripping in with all the contact drills with the big boys. He’s got courage you don’t normally see in kids until they grow up.”

Under NRL rules, South boss Blake Solly has to wait until August before looking at a long-term NRL contract.

“We’re just waiting for our opportunity to talk to him,” Solly said, “He’s not just a very good player, he’s a great kid from a beautiful family. He’s just the sort of young person you want at your club.”

big hit!

Bench
From the Daily Telegraph, this is exciting!

THE 16-YEAR-OLD WORTH $2 MILLION

This is the freakish 16-year-old footballer who is about to become the first $2 million teenager in rugby league history.

In August, Joseph Suaalii will sign a four-year contract with the South Sydney Rabbitohs worth almost $500,000 per season, such is the demand from rugby union and rival NRL clubs.

Check out his video highlights package (attack and defence) on our website and you’ll see for yourself.

It seriously shows that Latrell Mitchell will be a short-term fullback at Redfern because this rookie is already being compared with Greg Inglis and Israel Folau as youngsters at Melbourne Storm.

Suaalii cannot play first grade until he turns 18 in August next year but Wayne Bennett thinks so highly of the 197cm giant that he trained him with the first-grade squad in the off-season at just 16.

8c60113a856de6c4182b5170af7cd215

Suaalii has long been tipped for big things.

Sam Burgess is reluctant to put too much pressure on the youngster but admits he’s impressed.

“In the pre-season we tested him out with a bit of physical stuff and he responded,” Burgess said.

“He was ripping in with all the contact drills with the big boys. He’s got courage you don’t normally see in kids until they grow up.”

Under NRL rules, South boss Blake Solly has to wait until August before looking at a long-term NRL contract.

“We’re just waiting for our opportunity to talk to him,” Solly said, “He’s not just a very good player, he’s a great kid from a beautiful family. He’s just the sort of young person you want at your club.”

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/posts/14128862/

big hit!

Bench

When you look at decisions like moving Murray to the edge and taking away the current team's greatest strength to plug a weakness, then you do wonder what he's doing.

But you have to also look at the cattle at the club at the moment. Very much in transition right now. The plan wasn't to lose two great edge forwards at the same time. Sutto was retiring, but that was covered with S'ua. Sam Burgess is meant to be on the other edge or rotating through the middle this season. His forced retirement came a season or two too soon and the club is caught short on the edges now.

The club doesn't have too many of its strike players in that 23-28yo 'prime of career' age bracket. Off top of my head, Knight, Roberts, Johnstone, & Burgess is really it. There are heaps of young kids coming through though and in a season or two, the bulk of the club's best will be there. Murray, Graham, S'ua, Tatola, Amone, Mitchell just to name a few. The problem will be the spine with all of Walker, Reyno, & Damien Cook into their 30s.

Some decisions will need to be made with regard to whether the club puts faith into its youth such as Taafe, Illias and Joshua Cook to move into those roles once the current halves and hooker are done, or to go into the market. This season was important for the club to see the continued development of these guys along with Gardner and Rodwell in Flegg/NSW Cup, but COVID has f**ked it up royally. Does the club continue to see these guys as the future, or do they need to go into the market for one or two?

handyman2190

Bench
When you look at decisions like moving Murray to the edge and taking away the current team's greatest strength to plug a weakness, then you do wonder what he's doing.

But you have to also look at the cattle at the club at the moment. Very much in transition right now. The plan wasn't to lose two great edge forwards at the same time. Sutto was retiring, but that was covered with S'ua. Sam Burgess is meant to be on the other edge or rotating through the middle this season. His forced retirement came a season or two too soon and the club is caught short on the edges now.

The club doesn't have too many of its strike players in that 23-28yo 'prime of career' age bracket. Off top of my head, Knight, Roberts, Johnstone, & Burgess is really it. There are heaps of young kids coming through though and in a season or two, the bulk of the club's best will be there. Murray, Graham, S'ua, Tatola, Amone, Mitchell just to name a few. The problem will be the spine with all of Walker, Reyno, & Damien Cook into their 30s.

Some decisions will need to be made with regard to whether the club puts faith into its youth such as Taafe, Illias and Joshua Cook to move into those roles once the current halves and hooker are done, or to go into the market. This season was important for the club to see the continued development of these guys along with Gardner and Rodwell in Flegg/NSW Cup, but COVID has f**ked it up royally. Does the club continue to see these guys as the future, or do they need to go into the market for one or two?
I agree with you, i dont expect to be top 8 this year, you lose 4 top players and replace with 1, who is learning a new position and is not at the top of his game, how do you expect the team to play? We will be lucky to beat this reinvigorated titans team, be ready for a heartbreak year, i dont think we planned right or recruited right, RCG would have been an asset as he has shown, instead we have Arrow next year who may be a worker, but is not an attacker or enforcer.