What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

hunters

Juniors
Fmd. Don't know who is in charge of recruiting at South Sydne, but apparently we have signed Taane Milne?? (According to instagram)
If true our side is quickly digging itself a big hole, and I would put bennett as the architect. He left Newcastle a mess, look at the dragons and broncos currently. God save us

To be fair, Bennett left the Dragons almost 10 years ago. Not sure you can blame him for that one.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
To be fair, Bennett left the Dragons almost 10 years ago. Not sure you can blame him for that one.

Suppose.
I just pray he doesn't leave South Sydney in a heap..and Richo is also gone.
Any word on JD as a coach? Coachs assistant? Has he got any history?

handyman2190

Bench
Broncos say they can only give fafita 700 why? If boyd retires there is another 800k, my idea is, bennet gets of his brumby gets pengai jnr to ask for a release to come to us,saving them another700k then they have enough to keep fafita and we get our mongrel

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Broncos say they can only give fafita 700 why? If boyd retires there is another 800k, my idea is, bennet gets of his brumby gets pengai jnr to ask for a release to come to us,saving them another700k then they have enough to keep fafita and we get our mongrel

Wow imagine pangai jnr with curbed aggression :astonished::astonished: running off Walker and cook.. oh my days. Stop it.

He grew up in Newcastle and played for Hunter Sports High and think some of his family live in Newy.. only 2 hrs from Sydney? Who knows. But wow to get pangai would be amazing. But with what money? Do we have anything in the kitty?

Travitoh

First Grade

Pangai doesn't excite me with the money he'd be asking. Good player but his discipline is unreliable and has questionable hamstrings. Souths already have Liam Knight to commit questionable hits.

If we're looking at Brisbane, Joe Ofahengaue perks my interests. Somewhat out of favour, has a relationship with the current Souths coaching staff and is good enough to play origin when in form.

Jack Hetherington is out of favour at Penrith and currently on loan at NZ.
Ryan James could become available but he'll want too much i believe.

Would love Tapine from Canberra but don't see it happening. Same with Blake Lawrie from StGI, he'll need to increase his minutes but i believe he could become a very good first grade prop.

Travitoh

First Grade
The injuries to Roberts and Lowe are unfortunate but they excite me as it will hopefully force Bennett to try some new players in those positions. Paulo or Marsters at centre for the rest of the season and Sironen, Johns or Koala on an edge could really benefit the club in future seasons.

Souths sign $1.7m freak with richest teen deal in NRL history: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/31a265aca277bcc78b0e6e4373f85c4d

Sam Burgess lauds ‘unbelievable’ Rabbitohs prodigy with courage beyond his years: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...6/news-story/1a91072a6431efed80c723c1b4a7ec56

Absolutely stoked with this!! Must admit, I've never seen this guy play but have already heard a lot about him obviously and you can just tell he will be a superstar if he stays on this course. I mean, look at the money we've thrown at him, that speaks volumes. Look at how many others were chasing him (just about every other NRL club and Rugby Union), that speaks volumes. And look at the way some absolutel legends of our game talk about him and rate him, that speaks volumes. Obviously, this has happened many times and the kids have failed to live up to the hype but I've never seen such hype around someone of that age. Great move Souths!!

On another note,

Clubs could be set for early return to home grounds: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/17/clubs-could-be-set-for-early-return-to-home-grounds/

NRL clubs hope to be playing from home by Round 8: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/8df10193aa8ef3b8896001fbaf7dd08e
You've just lost him apparently, all because the NRL wouldnt allow him to sign that contract until he was 18, Union has swooped

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/c988fdfc34e1ca37d58f1c678edb03d5

Rugby Australia is set to steal teenage sensation Joseph Suaalii from the South Sydney Rabbitohs on a three-year deal worth a record $3 million.

In a stunning backflip, Suaalii will become the richest 16-year-old sportsman in Australian history.

Contracted to Souths until the end of next season, Suaalii last month agreed to a three-year extension at Redfern worth $1.7 million. But the Rabbitohs could not register the contract with the NRL until Suaalii turned 17 on August 1, which has given RA time to swoop in with a mind-blowing $1-million-a-year offer.

That equates to a weekly payment of nearly $20,000.

dfc0d05eb746894fbec926ea69f5ac94

South Sydney thought they had won Joseph Suaalii’s prized signature.
RA sources close to Suaalii told The Daily Telegraph on Tuesday afternoon the boom fullback would now reject Souths to become a Wallaby.

similars

It is a massive and timely coup for rugby union, a sport in a desperate state of decline due to poor on-field performances and the devastating impact of COVID-19 on its finances.

Under NRL rules, Suaalii could not play NRL until he turned 18. Those rules, implemented to protect rising stars, are set to cost rugby league a next-generation star.

Instead, Suaalii could now represent Australia in Rugby Sevens at the Tokyo Olympics, should they go ahead next year.

The Daily Telegraph could not reach any South Sydney officials for comment on Tuesday.

Suaalii — who stands 196cm and weighs 96kg — spent the off-season training with South Sydney’s NRL squad.

e8f44a963adec7e6899f8fb1e9f05769

Suaalii with Wayne Bennett and John Sutton after signing with South Sydney.
Just after pre-season training concluded, new Wallabies coach Dave Rennie unsuccessfully attempted to sign Suaalii. Not to be discouraged, Rennie went back again and nabbed his man.

Only last month, Rennie revealed: “I met him (Suaalii) when I was here in January, impressive athlete and a very mature kid for 16.

“As you get with guys like Joseph, they command a lot of attention and clearly Souths are very interested in him and have thrown some serious money in front him.

“So he’s just an example of the type of kids that we want to keep in our game, but it’s a competitive market and it’s not easy.”

The Daily Telegraph understands Suaalii will play Super Rugby Australia for the NSW Waratahs.

cc43ef5bc36453287a90ba184a053ee0

Wallabies coach Dave Rennie has landed a big blow on rugby league. Picture: Hanna Lassen/Getty Images
A Glenmore Park product in Sydney’s west, Suaalii has been in the South Sydney system since he was 11, with many believing he was destined to become a rugby league superstar.

There were suggestions Souths had plans to fast-track Suaalii straight into their NRL side the day he turned 18 next year.

Rabbitohs legend Sam Burgess even described Suaalii as “unbelievable.”

“Look, I hate rapping young kids,” Burgess told Fox Sports. “I‘ve seen him first-hand, training with the first team, and forget his athletic ability — what I saw inside Joseph Suaalii that day, I saw (how) we took him to the edge of the cliff and he hung on for dear life and he had the courage of a 25 to 28-year-old man.

b960f7696beb1c15f0205710730154cd

Sam Burgess is a huge fan of Suaalii’s. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images
MORE NEWS

NRL journo tested for COVID after Panthers breach

$10m bomb: Race for SBW after Wolfpack shuts down

Three Sydney clubs in line to land Broncos star

“And he was riding contact — this was six months ago — like any other first-grader. I‘ve never ever seen a kid do that and never mind an outside back.

“So I hate rapping a young kid because it‘s unwarranted, but I’ve seen him first-hand, he’s pretty special.”

At just 16, Suaalii has already represented NSW in rugby league, rugby union, AFL and basketball. He also represented the Australian Schoolboys and Australian under 18s rugby union sides.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Pangai doesn't excite me with the money he'd be asking. Good player but his discipline is unreliable and has questionable hamstrings. Souths already have Liam Knight to commit questionable hits.

If we're looking at Brisbane, Joe Ofahengaue perks my interests. Somewhat out of favour, has a relationship with the current Souths coaching staff and is good enough to play origin when in form.

Jack Hetherington is out of favour at Penrith and currently on loan at NZ.
Ryan James could become available but he'll want too much i believe.

Would love Tapine from Canberra but don't see it happening. Same with Blake Lawrie from StGI, he'll need to increase his minutes but i believe he could become a very good first grade prop.
10/10 would NOT sign Ryan James.. been out for 2 years, one more Injury and he's done

Travitoh

First Grade
10/10 would NOT sign Ryan James.. been out for 2 years, one more Injury and he's done

That's fair and I'm not necessarily saying Souths must sign him.
But if he was available on a cheap one year deal, Souths would be silly not to at least explore the option i believe. He's potentially better than any of the current options at prop for Souths if he can get his knee right.

callmack1

Staff member
Teen freak backflips on Souths to sign $3m rugby mega deal: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/db81e25fad2bc9cf6705c474e0d088ae

Devastating news. That's huge to be honest. We've just lost one of the highest rated youngsters the game has ever seen. Can't believe it to be honest...

For & Against - Scrums - do we still need them?: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/21/for--against-scrums---do-we-still-need-them/

Kanye West wild night with Russell Crowe and NRL star Sam Burgess: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ka...s/news-story/4610db5f60c461162b9840a615629312

GongPanther

Referee
Teen freak backflips on Souths to sign $3m rugby mega deal: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/db81e25fad2bc9cf6705c474e0d088ae

Devastating news. That's huge to be honest. We've just lost one of the highest rated youngsters the game has ever seen. Can't believe it to be honest...

For & Against - Scrums - do we still need them?: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/21/for--against-scrums---do-we-still-need-them/

Kanye West wild night with Russell Crowe and NRL star Sam Burgess: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ka...s/news-story/4610db5f60c461162b9840a615629312
Meh, so what. He was a Penrith junior, and in time there will be plenty more which Souths can try and sign from our nursery. Ex-Australian Kurtley Beale was playing in the Panthers junior comp for Bidwell with my nephew. I was peeved when he went to Rugby. Tons of talent out at the Penrith district, which will keep the Panthers (and other teams) going for years to come.

Go Bunnies

Juniors
Ah well.. we dont need another back anyway, we have about 20 of them :joy:
He was always going to use Souths as a bargaining chip for Union - and they fell for it. He’s at a private school playing Union - Souths should spend time and energy developIng our own Juniors, not blow ins like Crichton and Suaalli.

callmack1

Staff member
Now there's conflicting info, Rugby Australia is completely denying that anything has happened yet.