What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

handyman2190

Bench
Rumours emerging that Bayley Sironen is another player that could potentially be squeezed out due to the salary cap.

I don't want to lose him at all. He's a future star and said in his interview yesterday he'd love to stay. Hope it's not true.
Could be we are clearing cap space for tavita pengai jnr
Who we desperately need, but in saying that we cleared goodwin and that papua back there must have been a couple of k saved

CAFPOW

Juniors
Who we desperately need, but in saying that we cleared goodwin and that papua back there must have been a couple of k saved

According the media, Pangai Jr can’t sign with another club this season since August 3 deadline has passed. Besides, the man wants to play for Uncle Nick. I think it’s one of the reason the Boncos tore his contract, when he called a Uncle Nick few days ago asking him if he can play for the Roosters.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
According the media, Pangai Jr can’t sign with another club this season since August 3 deadline has passed. Besides, the man wants to play for Uncle Nick. I think it’s one of the reason the Boncos tore his contract, when he called a Uncle Nick few days ago asking him if he can play for the Roosters.

And they'll be able to sign him, sonny bill for another year, Jonathan Thurston will make a comeback and sign with them.. sombrero cap
Uncle Nick must have ties with the Mongols as well :joy:

callmack1

Staff member
Pangai Jnr would be very risky to be honest. Could be a master stroke or a terrible decision. I'd be more inclined to go for it because Wayne would know how to handle him and he's unstoppable when he's on. However, if we're already struggling for cap space, I can't see how we could fit Pangai in so it won't happen.

handyman2190

Bench
Both Goodwin and Gebbie would've been on near to minimum wage. They wouldn't have freed up any cap space.
We have dillon who hasnt shown anything in the 2 yeats weve had him,i cant believe after losing 2.5m in players Gi sam george sutto, we dont have some cap,i believe nothing, the club makes plans on aquisitions, then holds that money in preparation, it wouldnt surprise me if pengais situation is planned, he went to the horses because of bennet, may he not come back to bennet?
Arrow seems a shadow of last year, makes minimum run meters and his impact is minimal, have we blown 800k?
Or is he just making the motions till he gets here,who knows. All i know we need an enforcer a mongrel,pengai fits the bill,heres hoping, talk is also that the fox wants to come, the reason weve given Aj the bullet, personally id try and move gagai, 700k is too much for him, even though he has been playing great and is versatile, we could renegotiate and extend his contract, 450k extra 2 years,wonder what he would think of that.

Travitoh

First Grade
We have dillon who hasnt shown anything in the 2 yeats weve had him,i cant believe after losing 2.5m in players Gi sam george sutto, we dont have some cap,i believe nothing, the club makes plans on aquisitions, then holds that money in preparation, it wouldnt surprise me if pengais situation is planned, he went to the horses because of bennet, may he not come back to bennet?
Arrow seems a shadow of last year, makes minimum run meters and his impact is minimal, have we blown 800k?
Or is he just making the motions till he gets here,who knows. All i know we need an enforcer a mongrel,pengai fits the bill,heres hoping, talk is also that the fox wants to come, the reason weve given Aj the bullet, personally id try and move gagai, 700k is too much for him, even though he has been playing great and is versatile, we could renegotiate and extend his contract, 450k extra 2 years,wonder what he would think of that.

Dillon is another who's contract would free up very little money for negotiations.

Since the retirements of Sam, Sutton and GI, Cook, Cody, Murray and Knight were upgraded, Arrow has agreed to join and Latrell, Roberts, Sua and Lowe have all joined.

I read somewhere that TPJ has missed 30-40% of the last two seasons through suspension. Is that really where you want to spend your money?

Edit: TPJ has missed 14 of the last 38 through suspension - 37% of matches.
37% of his $650k salary is approx $240k.

Last edited:

assess5

Juniors
Who needs him, develop what we got, Sirronen (?) Kalamata(?) Mago are all showing fantastic potential, stick with these guys. Show some confidence in them, I think they will repay if not this year then next.

I haven't ever been able to see why Arrow is so highly thought of excepting he puts in an hundred percent effort.

Travitoh

First Grade
Who needs him, develop what we got, Sirronen (?) Kalamata(?) Mago are all showing fantastic potential, stick with these guys. Show some confidence in them, I think they will repay if not this year then next.

I haven't ever been able to see why Arrow is so highly thought of excepting he puts in an hundred percent effort.

I like Arrow. As you said, he puts in 100% and is a leader which i believe is currently lacking in the pack.

Souths have Knight to do the grubby work. There isn't a need to bring in another.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

yeah I agree with those 3, they are showing good progress, and they're still quite young for fowards, Siro and Kolo not yet 22y?
I'm starting to worry Arrow is gonna be a waste of money

NovoBunny94

Juniors
yeah I agree with those 3, they are showing good progress, and they're still quite young for fowards, Siro and Kolo not yet 22y?
I'm starting to worry Arrow is gonna be a waste of money

Arrow will be another version of Murray. Apart from his quick play the ball and stout defence, he doesnt offer much in attack - ala Jai Arrow. He is a defensive workhorse.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Arrow will be another version of Murray. Apart from his quick play the ball and stout defence, he doesnt offer much in attack - ala Jai Arrow. He is a defensive workhorse.
look, guys like that are always useful, but for 800k per season?
Im praying Siro doesn't get squeezed out and end up joining his brother. Could they be trying to keep AJ? Maybe with Latrell pleading with the front office to keep him might be able to sway things. We still don't know what Suaali is gonna do, that's tying up money until we know.
Roosters saying they're not taking Pangai, I cant see how Newcastle could fit him in, maybe Tigers or Bulldogs?

Travitoh

First Grade
look, guys like that are always useful, but for 800k per season?
Im praying Siro doesn't get squeezed out and end up joining his brother. Could they be trying to keep AJ? Maybe with Latrell pleading with the front office to keep him might be able to sway things. We still don't know what Suaali is gonna do, that's tying up money until we know.
Roosters saying they're not taking Pangai, I cant see how Newcastle could fit him in, maybe Tigers or Bulldogs?

I can see Canterbury offering TPJ a decent salary. More than I'd want to see Souths offer him.

assess5

Juniors

I agree, do we need two, I don't know, Sam Burgess types don't grow on trees but somewhere in England, who knows.

"Souths have Knight to do the grubby work. There isn't a need to bring in another."

Maybe Liam Knight would be better with another five to ten kilos of muscle, he busts his gut with effort, I gotta hand it to him, but he seems a bit light, who knows maybe next year will be a blinder for him.

Travitoh

First Grade
I agree, do we need two, I don't know, Sam Burgess types don't grow on trees but somewhere in England, who knows.

"Souths have Knight to do the grubby work. There isn't a need to bring in another."

Maybe Liam Knight would be better with another five to ten kilos of muscle, he busts his gut with effort, I gotta hand it to him, but he seems a bit light, who knows maybe next year will be a blinder for him.

Murray and Arrow being capable of playing big minutes could allow the likes of Knight to play with more energy and explosiveness. The two will still bring quality to the team with the ball as well as without it.
Maybe having Arrow in defence will lighten the load on Cook and get him running again? That's what Souths need more than anything else, Cook running.

assess5

Juniors
Murray and Arrow being capable of playing big minutes could allow the likes of Knight to play with more energy and explosiveness. The two will still bring quality to the team with the ball as well as without it.
Maybe having Arrow in defence will lighten the load on Cook and get him running again? That's what Souths need more than anything else, Cook running.

I think Souths need forwards breaking or at least bending the line, which has been the case over the last few games albeit against teams lower on the ladder, Maybe Sirronen , Kalamata(?) Mago are good enough to dent the defensive lines of the Roosters, the Storm etc then Cook will get the freedom to run like last year.

Travitoh

First Grade
I think Souths need forwards breaking or at least bending the line, which has been the case over the last few games albeit against teams lower on the ladder, Maybe Sirronen , Kalamata(?) Mago are good enough to dent the defensive lines of the Roosters, the Storm etc then Cook will get the freedom to run like last year.

Agree. It's unfortunate that Amone got hurt because he was looking like that player i thought.
Like you mentioned earlier, Knight with an extra 5kg of muscle could be a weapon. At the moment that isn't sustainable as he's currently required to play 40+ minutes.

The introduction of Arrow to the middle rotation gives Souths an option of Tom/Tatola splitting 80 minutes at prop with Arrow playing 50-60 as the other prop and Murray playing similar minutes at lock. Suddenly that leaves less minutes to be played by the power options from the bench in Knight/Amone/Mago. Less minutes means there will be less emphasis on fitness for those players and more opportunity to be aggressive.
As much as i like the effort that Nicholls gives week in, week out, bringing Arrow into the side will probably push him out in favour of someone who can bring more energy to a game.

RL is evolving beyond the power forward game of the 2010's but there is still room for a big boy in the middle if you can put some big minute workaholics around him i believe. That's where Arrow and Murray will become important. It isn't about the individual player, it's the knock on effect that their minutes can create.

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I for one am pretty excited about Arrow. Our pack has been doing really well this year but in order to to to the next level, we need him.

In other news, this makes me sad,

'It’s heartbreaking' - Johnston resigned to leaving Souths as rival clubs circle: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...hs-as-rival-clubs-circle-20200812-p55l2i.html
Yeah it's pretty f###ed up, I blame Bennett for this, he was never enamoured with AJ, he's the one who fell in love with a dude who is always broken down (Burns), and brought in another who had red flags all over him because of his D (Roberts). And IMO neither should have been signed, and neither would have been good enough to make a premiership side