What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don’t understand that we have to release AJ to get Latrell and still can’t pay him much for 2020, we must be paying a few guys overs, as look how much we lost and we are still shedding players.

Lost 5 forwards and signed zero for 2020, I won’t lie I’m disappointed and I do see us definitely coming back to the field a bit.

As for Dillon @Peter Quinn he has been so injury prone and that’s worries me.

So main guys we lost were GI 1 mil, Sam 1.2mil, George, Sutto, Turner, Britt and now AJ plus others too some of the fringe first graders we lost and now we can’t even pay Mitchell more than say 400k, I’m scratching my head and besides Goodwin what have we really bought that’s cost us a reasonable amount?

Peter Quinn

Juniors
I don’t understand that we have to release AJ to get Latrell and still can’t pay him much for 2020, we must be paying a few guys overs, as look how much we lost and we are still shedding players.

Lost 5 forwards and signed zero for 2020, I won’t lie I’m disappointed and I do see us definitely coming back to the field a bit.

As for Dillon @Peter Quinn he has been so injury prone and that’s worries me.

So main guys we lost were GI 1 mil, Sam 1.2mil, George, Sutto, Turner, Britt and now AJ plus others too some of the fringe first graders we lost and now we can’t even pay Mitchell more than say 400k, I’m scratching my head and besides Goodwin what have we really bought that’s cost us a reasonable amount?
I know it's never good losing anyone. But to improve the team we must make changes or die early.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
None of the top 4 teams have improved their roster I don’t really see the need to stress. In fact the only team that looks better than last year are Parra and I am expecting a Mitch Moses classic for Parra and for them to drop out of the 8 next year.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
None of the top 4 teams have improved their roster I don’t really see the need to stress. In fact the only team that looks better than last year are Parra and I am expecting a Mitch Moses classic for Parra and for them to drop out of the 8 next year.
word is he's had Joey help him so I'd reckon they'll be top 6/4 if they can improve there defence

Rabbits20

Immortal
Imo we have lost the most though compared to others.

Right now our forward depth and lack of it alarms me tbh, surely we won’t go into the season like this......... you can’t just lose Sam, George, Sutto, Turner and Britt and sign bugger all, that’s what is frustrating me right now.

Oh well there is still 2 months to the season and hopefully something else is in the works as we will need it.

Travitoh

First Grade

Sutton, Turner, Britt and others wouldn't have been on much in the cap between the three of them.
I doubt Goodwin is joining on minimum.
A lot if not all of GI's would go towards Roberts and Sua who Souths are now paying full freight for.
Lowe is another who Souths could now be paying for in full.
Cook got a pretty hefty payrise.
Plus a few contracts could be back ended.
It's very easy to chew into the salary cap and Souths haven't been great at managing theirs over the past few years. They're only able to bring Arrow in because of Sam's sudden departure.

Travitoh

First Grade

Not 2019 top 4 but imo Penrith losing Maloney will help them as it will truly be Cleary's side now.
Newcastle have the assets if the coach can get them playing.
Brisbane with an actual half will be interesting to see how they go.
Someone will unexpectedly perform above expectations.

In saying that though, Souths should still be a top 6 side i believe and if they aren't, there are problems. The best 17 is still better than half the comp.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sutton, Turner, Britt and others wouldn't have been on much in the cap between the three of them.
I doubt Goodwin is joining on minimum.
A lot if not all of GI's would go towards Roberts and Sua who Souths are now paying full freight for.
Lowe is another who Souths could now be paying for in full.
Cook got a pretty hefty payrise.
Plus a few contracts could be back ended.
It's very easy to chew into the salary cap and Souths haven't been great at managing theirs over the past few years. They're only able to bring Arrow in because of Sam's sudden departure.
Turners contract was from when Madge was still with us, I thought he was on around 350k. We tried shopping him around but no other club would pay that money for him like what we are stuck with now with Gagai and his 700k.

Agreed re Goodwin, I’d say that chews up somewhere around the 250k mark.

Imo Lowe shouldn’t be on more than 350k, that’s what I feel he is worth and he was roughly on that with the Cows. Same re Su’a God I hope we aren’t paying him overs, he hasn’t earnt it yet for mine.

I know we’ve had upgrades and all, I just thought there may be a bit more left than what their seems to be.

Arrow will be on 700-750k I’ve heard and Sam was on 1.2 so we save another 450-500k there.

It was to my understanding with George gone that was another 400k spare.

Keep in mind we are bringing around 5 young kids into our top 30 too on minimum wage.

Letting AJ go that frees another 350-400k.

I wonder if Murray has been upgraded as well? He and Knight plus Latrell will also need upgrading 21 onwards!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Not 2019 top 4 but imo Penrith losing Maloney will help them as it will truly be Cleary's side now.
Newcastle have the assets if the coach can get them playing.
Brisbane with an actual half will be interesting to see how they go.
Someone will unexpectedly perform above expectations.

In saying that though, Souths should still be a top 6 side i believe and if they aren't, there are problems. The best 17 is still better than half the comp.
I have been speaking to a few mates today 3-4 who love their NRL too, they go for other teams but I asked them where do they see Souths finishing in 2020 with Latrell coming but not Arrow, they all said if Arrow was coming they’d have us in the bottom of the top 4 but the fact he isn’t they have us anywhere between 5th-7th. I thought that was a fair analysis from these guys and one I agree with.

Rabbits20

Immortal
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...hs-on-four-year-contract-20200106-p53p6y.html

Latrell Mitchell's contract saga looks to be anything but over after the Rabbitohs declared their main focus has shifted to getting newly signed Jai Arrow to Redfern this season.

On Monday, Souths announced the signing of Titans forward Arrow on a four-year contract from the 2021 season. But South Sydney general manager of football, Shane Richardson, said any potential talks with star centre Mitchell would need to take a back seat as the club puts their energy into securing Arrow immediately.

Everyone is shouting from the rooftops and I don't quite understand why," Richardson said. "At the end of the day, he is not my priority at the moment."

"We will worry about him once our priority is sorted out, and that's Jai Arrow."

The Titans are holding out on an early release for Arrow and are reportedly warming to the idea of a transfer fee and player swap in return. Richardson said it was a decision "for Gold Coast to make".

After being granted leave of absence from the Roosters when they returned to training on Monday morning, Mitchell was reportedly looking to take his chances on a one-year deal with South Sydney on around $400,000 for 2020.

The initial salary is a far cry from his initial asking price of $1 million a season, but the idea was to secure a longer-term contract at the end of the season if the Rabbitohs can move players on from Redfern.

Richardson said the club's major focus has now turned to securing Arrow as a much-needed replacement for Sam Burgess in 2020.

Jai Arrow was exactly what we wanted recruitment wise," he said."I'm not worried about [Latrell] at the moment . . . once we know what is going on with [Arrow] then we will make a decision based on what money we've got left over and what we can and can't do."

The future of Mitchell at Redfern looks to be even more uncertain when looking at the Souths line-up for 2020.

We've got a plethora of backs, and they're not just backs, they're quality backs.

Shane Richardson
While the signing of Arrow was said to be "critical" to the side's forward pack, Richardson said he is comfortable with his current backline.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson said in November he believed his centre was on the hunt for a club that would play him at fullback.

We've got a plethora of backs, and they're not just backs, they're quality backs," Richardson said.

Since the Roosters withdrew a two-year contract extension for 2021 and 2022 at the end of October, Mitchell has been in talks with Wests Tigers, North Queensland, the Titans and the Rabbitohs over his future.

Despite withdrawing their offer in November, the Tigers say they are still interested in securing Mitchell. And despite signing Valentine Holmes on a multi-million dollar six-year deal, the Cowboys also say they are still "in talks" with Mitchell.

"At the end of the day, he's got to be happy. And he's got to be playing football where he wants to play. Whether that's at Souths or at Wests or wherever it is, I don't know. But all I know is, I don't think it's unfair for him to take his time to make his mind up," Richardson said.

Richardson said the reality of the situation was "far bigger" than just "putting Latrell in a Souths jersey" and that he hadn't even met the Roosters centre yet.

"Once [the Arrow situation] is done, we will just sit down and take our time and think of what we need, so we don't waste the money and make sure we spend the money wisely."

callmack1

Staff member
Early Arrow release Souths' priority as Mitchell clears one more contract hurdle : https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/05...ll-leave-of-absence-from-pre-season-training/

Rabbitohs put Mitchell on hold as they target early Arrow release: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...hs-on-four-year-contract-20200106-p53p6y.html

These articles give me a bit of hope that we can still get Arrow for this year. God, I hope we can!! I'd say we'd be doing everything in our power to make it happen. These articles also seem to indicate that Latrell isn't a done deal at Souths just yet. Our main focus is Arrow and to be honest, that's probably the way it should be. So do we think it will happen guys? Do you think we can get him for 2020?

On another note,

NRL auditor has final say on Latrell value: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-au...ll-value/0d2bef48-14e9-479e-9e74-b0568b23a086

Braith Anasta - Why Rabbitohs are ‘perfect fit’ for unwanted Latrell: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/f056e237e89852a36298f5cda5a99148

Also, there are rumours starting to emerge that AJ will be a Tiger in the next few days.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Early Arrow release Souths' priority as Mitchell clears one more contract hurdle : https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/05...ll-leave-of-absence-from-pre-season-training/

Rabbitohs put Mitchell on hold as they target early Arrow release: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...hs-on-four-year-contract-20200106-p53p6y.html

These articles give me a bit of hope that we can still get Arrow for this year. God, I hope we can!! I'd say we'd be doing everything in our power to make it happen. These articles also seem to indicate that Latrell isn't a done deal at Souths just yet. Our main focus is Arrow and to be honest, that's probably the way it should be. So do we think it will happen guys? Do you think we can get him for 2020?

On another note,

NRL auditor has final say on Latrell value: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-au...ll-value/0d2bef48-14e9-479e-9e74-b0568b23a086

Braith Anasta - Why Rabbitohs are ‘perfect fit’ for unwanted Latrell: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/f056e237e89852a36298f5cda5a99148

Also, there are rumours starting to emerge that AJ will be a Tiger in the next few days.
Mate that’d be Politis I reckon as well, he will be talking to the auditor I reckon and trying to keep on persisting for Latrell to go elsewhere bar us, also bro I’m sure Easts will play hardball on what they pay of Latrell’s 2020 contract, that’s a given I reckon.

Like you say though our number one focus seems to be Arrow and I can see why, it’s clear to see we are lacking more in the forwards than the backs.

We don’t wanna let it linger on too much longer with Latrell though as pre season will be well in swing and we don’t wanna miss out on him!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Definitely will be here this year with Latrell together with a pretty handy forward :laughing:
His contract with them is about 650k with Easts for 2020, this whole 800k market value for Latrell is a load of rot imo, if he wants to come to us with them having to pay 200-250k and we pay 400-450k I can’t see why that wouldn’t be allowed.

Common sense if you ask me!

Anyway AJ rumours to Tigers hopefully helps us get Arrow and Latrell over the line.

callmack1

Staff member
One roadblock down . . . two to go in Latrell Mitchell to Souths contract saga: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/b5944fe4ddbc0aa8447ac589f70058ec

Like others, I really don't understand what the issue is here. We are basically paying him his contract for 2020 withe the Roosters making up the rest. I really don't see how that can't be allowed. I will be absolutely fuming if it's not!!!!!

Also, make of this what you will.

Holbrook says Rabbitohs-bound Arrow staying put in 2020: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/07/holbrook-says-rabbitohs-bound-arrow-staying-put/