What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Travitoh

First Grade
His contract with them is about 650k with Easts for 2020, this whole 800k market value for Latrell is a load of rot imo, if he wants to come to us with them having to pay 200-250k and we pay 400-450k I can’t see why that wouldn’t be allowed.

Agree. Souths are essentially picking up the remainder of his current contract. As long as the annual value isn't less than that then there should be no reason for anything different.

Rabbits20

Immortal
One roadblock down . . . two to go in Latrell Mitchell to Souths contract saga: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/b5944fe4ddbc0aa8447ac589f70058ec

Like others, I really don't understand what the issue is here. We are basically paying him his contract for 2020 withe the Roosters making up the rest. I really don't see how that can't be allowed. I will be absolutely fuming if it's not!!!!!

Also, make of this what you will.

Holbrook says Rabbitohs-bound Arrow staying put in 2020: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/07/holbrook-says-rabbitohs-bound-arrow-staying-put/
Spot on Callmack I’ll be fuming if it’s not too re Mitchell, it’s typical Uncle Nick in the background Callmack and it comes as no surprise to me!

What’d you reckon bro re what Holbrook says, do you reckon we can still get Arrow for 2020?

Rabbits20

Immortal
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/07/holbrook-says-rabbitohs-bound-arrow-staying-put/

Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook has reaffirmed his club's intention for Rabbitohs-bound forward Jai Arrow to see out the final year of his Titans contract.

A day after Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson says his club is exploring the possibility of getting Arrow to Redfern by the start of the 2020 season, Holbrook said no offers had been made.

On Monday the Rabbitohs announced a four-year deal for Arrow, starting in 2021.

"Not that I'm aware of ... obviously we've only just come back to training but from my point of view we're planning as if he's playing here this season so that's the only thing I'll worry about," Holbrook said after Titans training on Tuesday.

"I'm one of many at the club that said we wanted him to stay. It was a hard decision for him and he's made the decision that he thinks is best for himself.

He's a really good guy – I'm disappointed he's not staying but we've got to move on. He's part of this season, then we'll worry about 2021.

"Obviously with him not staying we'll be on the lookout for other players."

Prior to confirmation Arrow is on the way out, the Titans announced they had signed young Storm forward Tino Fa'asuamaleaui for three years from 2021.

"He's a great signing for us," Holbrook said on Tuesday.

"Similar to Jai, we've got him [arriving] in 2021 so we've got to park this year with Tino … similar to what Souths are doing with Jai.

"Tino is already a great young player and will be a great asset for our club."

Pressed on whether a direct swap with Rabbitohs, Queensland and Australia centre-winger Dane Gagai had been mooted as a sweetener to release Arrow earlier, Holbrook again played a straight bat.

"We haven't had any specific player been mentioned to us," he said.

"I know there's been a lot of talk around, and that will probably continue over the next few weeks. I don't know if that will go away in the short-term and I don't know the answer.

From my point of view I've got Jai here for this season and that's what I'm planning on. And if anything happens elsewhere I don't know that at this stage."

As for other speculation on the landing place for Roosters two-time premiership winner Latrell Mitchell, Holbrook said he was "unlikely" he would be coming to the Titans.

"I haven't spoken to Latrell. I know Mal [Meninga] had spoken to him a number of weeks before Christmas. But I don't think we've spoken to him again as a club – so I'd say unlikely."

Holbrook's focus now is to prepare his team for the Nines (February 14-15) and their one trial against another NRL club, the Broncos (February 29).

He is also monitoring Ash Taylor's return to full physical and mental health, after a stop-start season in 2019 where he managed just 10 games.

"I've been really happy with Ash straight away," Holbrook said.

"He's been applying himself well to everything he's done with his training. We all know how talented he is but you've got to work hard. Along with the others, he's going very well.

"I made it clear I'm here to help him and I want him to play as good as he can just as much as everyone else does.

"It's my job to help him achieve that but he's got help himself and he's doing that, and doing it really well."

Rabbits20

Immortal
Just reported on ch 7 sport by Jim Wilson he will be at training next Monday.

Expect his signing before the week is out!

This is massive news lads AAAAAWWWWWWWEWEEEEEEESSSSSSOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEE

@Mixo Joe think you may have missed this thread mate I made it around 7pm.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Imo 2 months won’t be long enough for Latrell to get fit enough and in shape to play and meet the demands of fullback, for mine I’d play Douiehi back there and then reassess around Round 5

Mascot Spy

Juniors
Latrell Mitchell set to meet with Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett

NRL auditor has final say on Latrell contract
Power rankings: The backline to challenge the premiers
Latrell Mitchell will meet with master coach Wayne Bennett in the coming days in a bid to finalise a deal at South Sydney this week.

Mitchell’s preference is to join the Rabbitohs under Bennett, and he is willing to take a pay cut to improve as a player and person under the seven-time premiership-winning mentor.

However, the Test and Origin star is yet to receive an offer from Souths as they focus on approving a release for Gold Coast prop Jai Arrow to join the club this season.

The Daily Telegraph understands Arrow’s release from the Titans will be finalised in the next 24 hours.

This will allow Souths to move on Mitchell despite reports suggesting that he isn’t a priority for the club.

While the Rabbitohs are in the box seat to secure the Test and Origin star, a number of other NRL clubs have inquired about his services.

This includes a representative from Canterbury while the Wests Tigers and the Gold Coast have also asked questions about his future.

At this point, though, Mitchell’s aim is to join Souths to play alongside friends like Cody Walker, James Roberts and Braidon Burns.

He also is attracted to the Rabbitohs’ strong indigenous community and feels he will prosper in that environment.

Mitchell could earn upwards of $1.3 million if he joined the Tigers, but it is understood he doesn’t want the pressure of being the marquee man.

It’s why he is leaning towards signing with a genuine premiership contender in Souths, who are still loaded with talent despite losing John Sutton, Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess to retirement.

After months of having his future speculated in the media, Mitchell is determined to secure a club to start training in preparation for the 2020 season.

His clearance from ex-manager Wayde Rushton was signed off on Monday, allowing him to link with agent Matt Rose, who looks after NRL stars like Cody Walker, Jack Wighton and Australian boxer Tim Tszyu.

It is understood Mitchell will sign a two-year deal and he will play fullback.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Article from Daily Telegraph

Latrell Mitchell will meet with master coach Wayne Bennett in the coming days in a bid to finalise a deal at South Sydney this week.

Mitchell’s preference is to join the Rabbitohs under Bennett, and he is willing to take a pay cut to improve as a player and person under the seven-time premiership-winning mentor.

However, the Test and Origin star is yet to receive an offer from Souths as they focus on approving a release for Gold Coast prop Jai Arrow to join the club this season.

The Daily Telegraph understands Arrow’s release from the Titans will be finalised in the next 24 hours.

This will allow Souths to move on Mitchell despite reports suggesting that he isn’t a priority for the club.

South Sydney looks the only viable option for Latrell Mitchell. Photo: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

While the Rabbitohs are in the box seat to secure the Test and Origin star, a number of other NRL clubs have inquired about his services.

This includes a representative from Canterbury while the Wests Tigers and the Gold Coast have also asked questions about his future.

At this point, though, Mitchell’s aim is to join Souths to play alongside friends like Cody Walker, James Roberts and Braidon Burns.

He also is attracted to the Rabbitohs’ strong indigenous community and feels he will prosper in that environment.

Mitchell could earn upwards of $1.3 million if he joined the Tigers, but it is understood he doesn’t want the pressure of being the marquee man.

It’s why he is leaning towards signing with a genuine premiership contender in Souths, who are still loaded with talent despite losing John Sutton, Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess to retirement.

After months of having his future speculated in the media, Mitchell is determined to secure a club to start training in preparation for the 2020 season.

His clearance from ex-manager Wayde Rushton was signed off on Monday, allowing him to link with agent Matt Rose, who looks after NRL stars like Cody Walker, Jack Wighton and Australian boxer Tim Tszyu.

Mixo Joe

Juniors
Jai is playing this well and professionally.

Hopefully we can still get him which you’re confident about!
Hey R20 channel 7 saying that Latrell will be at souths training on Monday. Arrow wants to come to the bunnies asap as his girlfriend is putting the pressure on. You better stock up with a few cartons of young henrys my boy:sweat_smile:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hey R20 channel 7 saying that Latrell will be at souths training on Monday. Arrow wants to come to the bunnies asap as his girlfriend is putting the pressure on. You better stock up with a few cartons of young henrys my boy:sweat_smile:
I know mate I made up a Latrell Mitchell thread on here, you must’ve missed it!

Mate DT in article above reporting Arrow to be released in next 24 hours!

I don’t care I’m going off before I get my members email THIS IS HAPPENNNNNIIINNNNGG!!!

Might have to buy a Roast Chook for tea tomorrow night as well I reckon mate!

tiger05premier

Juniors
A completely unsubstantiated rumour from someone on Zero Tackle I know nothing about, but interesting reading if nothing else:

TwentyOne January 7, 2020 at 2:54 pm
I hear the roosters have offered Bronson Xerri a new apartment at 30% below market value in negotiations to poach him from the Sharks.
I hear Latrell will be at Souths training next Monday with Johnston sadly off to the Tigers
I hear the Bulldogs have offered The Fox big money to divert him away from Souths
I hear The roosters will have 2 premierships stripped from them plus massive fines and cap restrictions by mid 2020 if investigations are proven correct. Big media release before season commencement.

Rabbits20

Immortal
A completely unsubstantiated rumour from someone on Zero Tackle I know nothing about, but interesting reading if nothing else:

TwentyOne January 7, 2020 at 2:54 pm
I hear the roosters have offered Bronson Xerri a new apartment at 30% below market value in negotiations to poach him from the Sharks.
I hear Latrell will be at Souths training next Monday with Johnston sadly off to the Tigers
I hear the Bulldogs have offered The Fox big money to divert him away from Souths
I hear The roosters will have 2 premierships stripped from them plus massive fines and cap restrictions by mid 2020 if investigations are proven correct. Big media release before season commencement.
Cheers mate for sharing, interesting little read there.

You’ll get AJ mate, a mate who knows of AJ told me just before Christmas that with Latrell coming your way you’d get him.

He’s ok at fullback but nothing special as he lacks in support play and he sometimes bringing the ball back on kick returns can be afraid of contact.

He’s a good winger and finisher though mate as I’m sure you know, give him a little space and he can finish a try.

All the best to your boys in 2020 and please let’s not see Easts win it again, I hope they drop out of the 4 tbh.

Any forwards you guys are looking at? I know you’ve Luciano Leilua but anything else?

If I were you guys for depth and a fringe interchange player I’d pick up Turner who left us, he goes ok and can play second row, prop and centre, he’s very sound defensively but yeah a bit injury prone.

Re us we are bloody excited re Latrell and hopefully Arrow soon after.

tiger05premier

Juniors
Cheers mate for sharing, interesting little read there.

You’ll get AJ mate, a mate who knows of AJ told me just before Christmas that with Latrell coming your way you’d get him.

He’s ok at fullback but nothing special as he lacks in support play and he sometimes bringing the ball back on kick returns can be afraid of contact.

He’s a good winger and finisher though mate as I’m sure you know, give him a little space and he can finish a try.

All the best to your boys in 2020 and please let’s not see Easts win it again, I hope they drop out of the 4 tbh.

Any forwards you guys are looking at? I know you’ve Luciano Leilua but anything else?

If I were you guys for depth and a fringe interchange player I’d pick up Turner who left us, he goes ok and can play second row, prop and centre, he’s very sound defensively but yeah a bit injury prone.

Re us we are bloody excited re Latrell and hopefully Arrow soon after.
Yeah you guys are doing well in the market

I have no inside info

It's just all rumors

Would love to see roosters face a storm like premiership stripping but probably won't happen

Would love to see Tededco's face if it did though

AJ ok but would rather wait for a true fullback as I see him more a winger for reasons you just described but don't think he would come as a winger so if we get him I would say it is to play fullback

Good luck next year anyway

callmack1

Staff member

Article from Daily Telegraph

South Sydney looks the only viable option for Latrell Mitchell. Photo: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

So Arrow could potentially be here this week and Mitchell next week according to that and some other rumours.

Wow, those are massive developments!! God I hope that's all true!! I want it so bad! Not going to fully believe it yet though, we'll see what happens. Finding it pretty hard to contain the excitement!!

callmack1

Staff member
Wow, that's a massive development if true!! I'm not gonna fully believe it yet but god I hope so!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Apparently if Arrow doesn’t come in 2020 we’re going to be looking at James Graham. Love this I think I mentioned his name at the start of the off season. His experience up front would be crucial for us and even at his age is better than a fair few props in the NRL.

Latest posts