What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 ratings

tri_colours

Juniors
Disappointing figures in the US.

"The NRL also had three live games carried by Sky Sports in the UK and Fox Sports 1 in the United States, According to Forbes magazine, a soft signal from US network Fox was that round three’s fixtures were also tracking for a record in overseas viewers."

zero-tackle-logo-2020-hires.png

Cant vouch for the validity. This might be similar BS to the AFL Shanghai figures.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The NRL admin definately has major flaws but hats off to them for getting the game back on TV before any other major sport in Australia and being one of the few sporting organisations world-wide broadcasting at the moment. This is a rare example of the NRL seeing an opportunity, planning for it and pulling it off.

greenBV4

Bench
Great figures for melbourne. Clear evidence of the difference it makes between being on main channel and digital channel
“Melbourne 96,000”
A lot of people say it doesn't matter but is does for getting casual "channel surfers" to tune in

Take someone who doesn't really have too much of an interest in NRL but will watch it every now and then, they wouldn't know the draw and a lot of people don't check tv guides, if they do what I do when flicking through channels bored, ill usually flick through the main ones first (2, 3, 7, 9, 10), if the example person was doing this there's more chance they'll come across an NRL match on 9 before 92, and if someone from Melbourne does this, and sees its melbourne playing, there's a good chance the surfing will stop there

taipan

Referee
Trouble is no fumbleball being played in Melbourne's Nein for once put it on main channel.Ratings when fumble bumbles is on would be on main channel..................?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Trouble is no fumbleball being played in Melbourne's Nein for once put it on main channel.Ratings when fumble bumbles is on would be on main channel..................?

well to know that we would have to have a fta partner willing to promote the game and actually put it on wouldnt we? If I was giving g them a $100million gift this is the least I would have asked of them. Does Vlandys know we have a club in Melbourne?

Canard

Immortal

Nine don't have the AFL, there is no reason not to put the NRL on its main channel, other than "ratings". I haven't seen the stats but I doubt re-runs of old movies would top 96k

taipan

Referee
well to know that we would have to have a fta partner willing to promote the game and actually put it on wouldnt we? If I was giving g them a $100million gift this is the least I would have asked of them. Does Vlandys know we have a club in Melbourne?

How many times does ch7 show AFL games live on main channel, on Friday nights in Sydney?After having the Swans here for 38 years.

Oh roar!!! That so called clueless " gift" will be no different than my guesswork "gift that the AFL will give to ch7.But in typical fashion you won't acknowledge that.
And the "gifts" that other sports such as cricket will be providing to their Tv channels.

Seeing he (V'Landys) includes the Melbourne CEO, plus the Souths SEO and the Broncos CEO into high level discussions about the code going ahead ,knows the importance of Melbourne 2nd biggest commercial city in the country. And a 2nd Brisbane team.

Yet V'Landys has provided the Vic media with more NRL publicity mostly positive and a bit of sh*t stirring ,than any former CEO or Chairman.To get AFL types to praise his efforts and getting one up on the AFL, is heart warming.But as you are an AFL everything excellent person,I understand the mere thought gets on your nerves.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Nine don't have the AFL, there is no reason not to put the NRL on its main channel, other than "ratings". I haven't seen the stats but I doubt re-runs of old movies would top 96k

Conversely ch7 have the AFL ,and don't put it on the main channel on Friday nights in Sydney, where they have not one,but two teams.
Didn't complain about the ratings ,just gave a reason why I thought they hit those levels.

Canard

Immortal
Conversely ch7 have the AFL ,and don't put it on the main channel on Friday nights in Sydney, where they have not one,but two teams.
Didn't complain about the ratings ,just gave a reason why I thought they hit those levels.

I think PRs point, in a post Corona world is bullshit too, don't worry.

I just think that in a market now massively fractured due to digital streaming, showing the game on the main channel isn't the ratings disaster it once was.

taipan

Referee
I'm always happy when we get decent Tv ratings South of the Border.
Anything that gets up AFL types' noses is worth the price of admission.

taipan

Referee
Just for PR's edification.Today's Australian Media section page 20 referring to AFL's Gil Polo Pony McLachlan."
One well placed source claims he is struggling to confront his new coronavirus-driven realities .He's a great fellow ,and he's great for the game, but if he doesn't get his way pretty quick, he gets the shits.He's surprised the broadcasters aren't charging in with bucket loads of money until now he's been bulletproof.
But COVID's done a lot of things ,and for the AFL, it's changed the world a bit."
Another noted " He always felt the AFL is a superior product.But it's not a master/servant relationship anymore : it's a partnership.He's right the AFL may be a better sport for dropping ads in.But he's got to get rid of the superiority complex."

" The competitive McLachlan has been forced to become a spectator as NRL boss Peter V'Landys gets a jump on the AFL fro everything from return dates, rights deals, and new Tv friendly innovations(on Friday the NRL even announced a limited return of crowds.
McLachlan's private mood wouldn't be improved by networks pushing for a $150m in reductions on their 2020 payments, and more discounts in 2021 and 2022."

One thing McLachlan and PR have in common
1) Struggling to confront the corona-driven realities.
2)That broadcasters aren't charging in with bucket loads of money.
3) They find it difficult to accept V'Landys is a mover and shaker(whether one likes him or not) and cuts through red tape..

I thus propose when Gil makes a "gift" to the broadcasters of whatever money, that PR sends him a letter of congratulations for such a "charitable" and generous donation .

Spot On

Coach
Yet V'Landys has provided the Vic media with more NRL publicity mostly positive and a bit of sh*t stirring ,than any former CEO or Chairman.To get AFL types to praise his efforts and getting one up on the AFL, is heart warming.But as you are an AFL everything excellent person,I understand the mere thought gets on your nerves.

Can't argue with this. Done more in a few weeks for the game than the previous chap did in years.

Watching the AFL bumble along chasing Big Pet's lead has been pure ecstacy. There is no bigger advertisement of the game than Big Pete's leadership. It has grabbed all the sport related media attention across all platforms for months now.

Does not get any better.

magpie_man

Juniors
Just for PR's edification.Today's Australian Media section page 20 referring to AFL's Gil Polo Pony McLachlan."
One well placed source claims he is struggling to confront his new coronavirus-driven realities .He's a great fellow ,and he's great for the game, but if he doesn't get his way pretty quick, he gets the shits.He's surprised the broadcasters aren't charging in with bucket loads of money until now he's been bulletproof.
But COVID's done a lot of things ,and for the AFL, it's changed the world a bit."
Another noted " He always felt the AFL is a superior product.But it's not a master/servant relationship anymore : it's a partnership.He's right the AFL may be a better sport for dropping ads in.But he's got to get rid of the superiority complex."

" The competitive McLachlan has been forced to become a spectator as NRL boss Peter V'Landys gets a jump on the AFL fro everything from return dates, rights deals, and new Tv friendly innovations(on Friday the NRL even announced a limited return of crowds.
McLachlan's private mood wouldn't be improved by networks pushing for a $150m in reductions on their 2020 payments, and more discounts in 2021 and 2022."

One thing McLachlan and PR have in common
1) Struggling to confront the corona-driven realities.
2)That broadcasters aren't charging in with bucket loads of money.
3) They find it difficult to accept V'Landys is a mover and shaker(whether one likes him or not) and cuts through red tape..

I thus propose when Gil makes a "gift" to the broadcasters of whatever money, that PR sends him a letter of congratulations for such a "charitable" and generous donation .

Sounds like old mate is the Mitchell Moses of sporting administrators - a flat-track bully who chucks tanties when things aren't going his way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thursday
Ch9 Broncos v Roosters 342k (metro) ?regional
STV Broncos v Roosters 216k
https://www.mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings-june-4-masterchef-and-callum-lead-channel-to-demo-1/

Friday
STV Panthers v Warriors 202,000
Ch9 Storm v Souths 713,000 (Metro 450,000 Regional 263,000)
STV Storm v Souths 299,000
https://www.mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings-friday-june-5-2020/

Saturday
STV Cowboys v sharks 303k
STV Eels v seaeagles 295k
https://www.mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings-saturday-june-6-2020/

Sunday
Ch9 RaideRs v Knights 519,000 (metro 301,000 regional 218,000)
STV
STV Raiders v Knights ?
STV Titans v Tigers ?

Latest posts