What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad Analysis

Interesting to hear all the views on our shortcomings. The diversity of opinions only really highlights the complexity of the task.

For my 2 cents; with better game management we win the last two games. Benji and Cleary both out thought Hunt, our highest paid player.

With two wins on the board no-one is talking about the speed of our backs.

Interesting to hear all the views on our shortcomings. The diversity of opinions only really highlights the complexity of the task.

For my 2 cents; with better game management we win the last two games. Benji and Cleary both out thought Hunt, our highest paid player.

With two wins on the board no-one is talking about the speed of our backs.

Agree we have been outplayed in the halves the past 2 weeks.

Using Luke as the starting hooker and expecting him to play 75 minutes whilst an 80 minute hooker sits on the bench says it all for me. No game management and poor bench management may well have been the difference between winning and losing.

Have a horrible feeling Frizz is gone.

Whilst some of the newer players like Tyrell F and Williame are having a go, many of the established high profile players seem to be going through the motions.

Kerr needs to start next week. Poor Sir James seems punch drunk and is probably asking himself why he exercised his option to play this season. The Fox commentary box is where he should be. .

kit66

Bench
Our squad is a mess. De Belin is unavailable,
Graham and Lafai are over the hill probably along with Merrin, Sims brothers are either injured or suspended, Dufty, Ford, Host, Lomax, Pereira and Sailor are promoted and then demoted, the backline is slow, the forwards are overworked and the halves lack the basic skills. New players come in but their
efforts are blunted by the apathy of the rest of the team. Hopefully one of the four coaches will be terminated after four rounds of ineptitude and six years of ineptitude.

It is a mess. We're a couple of quality props short of a first grade team. We have arguably just one real good first grade prop in Vaughan, the rest are a bit average, Lawrie tries hard but is easily stopped, Graham is busted and becoming a liability in defence, K.Sims is good off the bench but injuries and being a penalty magnet is not helpful, Kerr is raw and new, lacking experience and Blacker is a year off you'd think. We have just one skilled first grade Lock in Merrin and a bunch of fairly good 2nd Rowers but none of them should play in the middle ever. So there's that.

What about our new improved super dooper defence - 2 games in and it's worse than last year ( 2019 we gave up 25.5 points a game I think ), we're already averaging 28 points against, by far the worst in the league.
Someone mentioned that we've won just 4 of our last 20 games how tragic is that. If we finish any higher than bottom 4 this year I'd be very surprised even if McGregor was sacked tomorrow.

possm

Coach
Our squad is a mess. De Belin is unavailable,
Graham and Lafai are over the hill probably along with Merrin, Sims brothers are either injured or suspended, Dufty, Ford, Host, Lomax, Pereira and Sailor are promoted and then demoted, the backline is slow, the forwards are overworked and the halves lack the basic skills. New players come in but their
efforts are blunted by the apathy of the rest of the team. Hopefully one of the four coaches will be terminated after four rounds of ineptitude and six years of ineptitude.
Mary's game plan and instructions have a lot to do with this as well.

possm

Coach
It is a mess. We're a couple of quality props short of a first grade team. We have arguably just one real good first grade prop in Vaughan, the rest are a bit average, Lawrie tries hard but is easily stopped, Graham is busted and becoming a liability in defence, K.Sims is good off the bench but injuries and being a penalty magnet is not helpful, Kerr is raw and new, lacking experience and Blacker is a year off you'd think. We have just one skilled first grade Lock in Merrin and a bunch of fairly good 2nd Rowers but none of them should play in the middle ever. So there's that.

What about our new improved super dooper defence - 2 games in and it's worse than last year ( 2019 we gave up 25.5 points a game I think ), we're already averaging 28 points against, by far the worst in the league.
Someone mentioned that we've won just 4 of our last 20 games how tragic is that. If we finish any higher than bottom 4 this year I'd be very surprised even if McGregor was sacked tomorrow.
Those club officials protecting and propping up Mary should be a shamed of their actions.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
We need a dominant spine.
Dufty-Soft. Move to wing and replace with Lomax.
Norman-too casual. Move Hunt to half. Demote Norman.
Hunt-Can not fully direct play. Move to five-eighth.
Mc Innes-Fairly resourceful. Leave where he is.
Also replace Pereira with Ramsay and Lafai with Fuimaono.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
My team for next few weeks.How about it Mary.
Dufty
Pereira
Willieama
Lomax
Ravalarwa
Sailor
Clune
Vaughan
McInnes
Kerr
T.Sims
Frizell
Fuimaono
Reserves
Hunt
Blacker
Ford
Merrin
Drop Norman,Lafai,Graham ,Lawrie

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I would put Sailor in the haves and demote Norman. Sailor has shown more promise in the short time he has played there than Norman has in that last 10 or so games he has played.

And the most obvious is Lomax to centre with Saab outside him and move Lafai to any other club bust Saints. C'mon Dogs bring him back home to Belmore.....Sharks, top replacement for JMoz....Anyone, please get him away from the Dragons.....

getsmarty

Immortal
grahamj-200620_sd_09-new.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons still searching for forward depth as Graham departs
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 23 Jun 2020, 03:12 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra are still searching for reinforcements as James Graham prepares to return to England to finish his career where it began at St Helens.

With Issac Luke moving to Brisbane two weeks ago, the Dragons need two signings to complete their 29-man roster by August but rival clubs have been reluctant to release players.

It is unlikely St George Illawarra will recruit another hooker to replace Luke but they are looking to bolster their forward depth with Graham departing.

Graham has continued to train with the Dragons this week but he played his final game in the Red V last Saturday and was given an emotional send-off by team-mates and coach Paul McGregor after the 20-8 defeat of Gold Coast.

The 34-year-old will play the remainder of the season for St Helens before returning to Sydney at the end of the year.

"It wasn't an easy decision, but this gives me the opportunity to go home and finish my career where it all started - play out the six months and then return to that new chapter back in Sydney," Graham told NRL360 on Monday night.

The departure of fellow England prop Luke Thompson from St Helens to Canterbury created the chance for Graham to return to the club where he played 224 games before joining the Bulldogs in 2012.

"I started there as an 11-year-old and my coach there at the academy [Mike Rush] is now the CEO, and he is the guy who I have been doing the dealings with to sign," Graham said.

"It's obviously a club that look after their own in that journey and there is a lot of fond memories."

The Dragons agreed last week to let Graham go once they secured a replacement but the club is still in the market for another middle-forward as rival clubs are reluctant to release players.

"I'm not normally a quitter and I hope this doesn't perceive me as one," Graham said.

"You've got a coach there [McGregor], who I would walk to the end of the earth for, and a playing group that I am incredibly bonded to."

With Luke moving to Brisbane, Jack de Belin stood down under the NRL's no fault stand-down policy, Tariq Sims injured and Jordan Pereira suspended, McGregor only had 24 available players for Friday night’s clash with Sydney Roosters.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/23/dragons-still-searching-for-forward-depth-as-graham-departs/

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I doubt we will sign anyone for the remainder of the year. Clubs aren't willing to risk anyone leaving at present as they also would need to replace that player.
Only option is a loan approach aka whaycthe Roosters and Warriors have arranged (which has now been extended to, when we need him back).
We need to find 2 spots, Luke and Graham.
1 surely has to go to Ramsey, who, because of injury dropped out of the squad.
The other 2 im sure were H. Lomax and SSE.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
My team for next few weeks.How about it Mary.
Dufty
Pereira
Willieama
Lomax
Ravalarwa
Sailor
Clune
Vaughan
McInnes
Kerr
T.Sims
Frizell
Fuimaono
Reserves
Hunt
Blacker
Ford
Merrin
Drop Norman,Lafai,Graham ,Lawrie

If we're selecting on form, I doubt that you could justify Williame (whom I've yet to see break the defensive line) or Sims (who admittedly may have been playing injured). Until they prove themselves worthy of selection, I would be giving Ford a chance in the back row and move Ravalawa to centre- inside Saab. Rav struggles with the ball in the air or on the ground so wing is just not his thing. It may be his best position is in the back row as he runs hard and hits like a sledgehammer- but that is probably a discussion for another day.

Dufty could be the best 5/8 in the club in attack but would probably have to develop a kicking game.

Agree however about Norman- a high priced,lazy footballer and a massive recruitment mistake.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I think that we should stay clear of Wallace. I believe over the past few years we have wasted money on Graham, Hunt, Lafai, Marshall and Norman of almost $3 million dollars which could have been better spent on our locally produced players. Our halves should have been Widdop plus Clune or Mann. Widdop, Vaughan, Mc Innes and Tariq Sims have been worthwhile but the rest have been rubbish! Let's spend the money on over a dozen good locals such as:-
Aitken
Clune
Dufty
Feagai
Feagai
Ford
Gillard
Host
Lawrie
Hayden Lomax
Zac Lomax
Lovodua
Merrin
Morgan
Ramsey
Saab
Sailor
Korbin Sims
Tariq Sims
Sullivan
Wishart-Total 21
and imports such as
Blacker
Brittain
Fuimaono
Kerr
Mc Innes
Ravalawa
Schiller-Total 7
Grand Total 28
At the moment we are wasting money on imports who will never win us a premiership!
Apart from Widdop Poms such as Cooper and Graham did not work out.
My conclusion is that we should only recruit 1 player and 2 if De Belin moves on. What do others think? We should also try to get Garrick back asap.

Latest posts