What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Top 30

OldPanther

Coach
Another Update this time via NRL.com

I thought it would be a good idea to keep an eye on how our squad will be filled in the coming months.
There is still plenty of time over the coming months to sign players and promote from within but this is the current top 30 for next year.
24 positions have to be filed by November 1. 29 by round 1 next year.

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Nathan Cleary
3. Dylan Edwards
4. James Tamou
5. Kaide Ellis
6. JFH
7. Mitch Kenny
8. Viliame Kikau
9. Spencer Leniu
10. Moses Leota
11. Jerome Luai
12. Josh Mansour
13. Liam Martin
14. Tyrone May
15. Brent Naden
16. Billy Burns
17. Brian To'o
18. MWZ
19. Isaah Yeo
20. Api Koroisau
21. Dean Whare
22. Jack Hetherington
23. Jed Cartwright
24. Stephen Crichton
25. D Blore
26. S Blore
27. B McGrady

Possible rookies that might get promoted or receive a development contract: Daine Laurie, Charlie Staines, Matt Burton,

Gains: Api Koroisau.

Upgraded to top 30.
Dean Blore, Shawn Blore, Stephen Crichton, Braydon McGrady (upgraded from development contracts)

Losses: Maloney, DWZ, Blake.RCG, Katoa,Tyrell Fuimaono, Nick Lui-Toso, Paea Pua, Hame Sele, Frank Winterstein, Grant, McKendry. Egan.

Some players can play more than 1 position but for now the first preferred positions are.

FB: Edwards, Aekins
Wing: To'o Mansour, MWZ
Centres: Whare, Naden Crichton, B McGrady.
Halves Cleary, Luai, May, D Blore
Front row and Locks: Tamou, JFH, Leota, Leniu, Hetherington, Ellis
2nd rowers: Kikau, Martin, Yeo, Burns, Jed Cartwright, S Blore
Hookers: Korosiau, Kenny,

I can't work out what Ivan is working towards. Usually a team has a style you can see in the roster.

Panther Mick

Juniors
Another update this time with development players added.

I thought it would be a good idea to keep an eye on how our squad will be filled in the coming months.
There is still plenty of time over the coming months to sign players and promote from within but this is the current top 30 for next year.

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Nathan Cleary
3. Dylan Edwards
4. James Tamou
5. Kaide Ellis
6. JFH
7. Mitch Kenny
8. Viliame Kikau
9. Spencer Leniu
10. Moses Leota
11. Jerome Luai
12. Josh Mansour
13. Liam Martin
14. Tyrone May
15. Brent Naden
16. Billy Burns
17. Brian To'o
18. MWZ
19. Isaah Yeo
20. Api Koroisau
21. Dean Whare
22. Jack Hetherington
23. Jed Cartwright
24. Stephen Crichton
25. D Blore
26. S Blore
27. B McGrady

Development contracts: Daine Laurie, Shannon Harris, Glenn McGrady,

Possible rookies that might get promoted or receive a development contract: Charlie Staines, Matt Burton,

Gains: Api Koroisau.

Upgraded to top 30.
Dean Blore, Shawn Blore, Stephen Crichton, Braydon McGrady (upgraded from development contracts)

Losses: Maloney, DWZ, Blake.RCG, Katoa,Tyrell Fuimaono, Nick Lui-Toso, Paea Pua, Hame Sele, Frank Winterstein, Grant, McKendry. Egan.

Some players can play more than 1 position but for now the first preferred positions are.

2nd rowers: Kikau, Martin, Yeo, Burns, Jed Cartwright, S Blore
Hookers: Korosiau, Kenny

mxlegend99

Referee
Considering all our losses. We should try to get an allowance to replace May in our top 30.

He can still be counted as part of our salary cap. But since he is unlikely to be playing we would be better off if we could get Burton into our top 30 at the expense of someone we wont.

It makes no sense that we have a player the NRL won't let us use taking up a spot for a second season. Ideally we can get cap compensation too. But just getting his spot would help.

Bob

Juniors
Considering all our losses. We should try to get an allowance to replace May in our top 30.

He can still be counted as part of our salary cap. But since he is unlikely to be playing we would be better off if we could get Burton into our top 30 at the expense of someone we wont.

It makes no sense that we have a player the NRL won't let us use taking up a spot for a second season. Ideally we can get cap compensation too. But just getting his spot would help.
Mays trial is this Friday, keep an eye on the western weekender twitter page as they will have a reporter in the courtroom

betcats

Referee
Glen Mcgrady on a development contract, he must be rated, explains sticking by his older brother a little bit.

We’ve promoted 3 guys who haven’t played Fg to the squad over Burton, I’m sure he will be there. Maybe they are holding him out to keep him hungry over preseason.

franklin2323

Immortal
Glen Mcgrady on a development contract, he must be rated, explains sticking by his older brother a little bit.

We’ve promoted 3 guys who haven’t played Fg to the squad over Burton, I’m sure he will be there. Maybe they are holding him out to keep him hungry over preseason.

Both McGrady's and Dean Blore I think end up back there when the contract's are finalised. A story on Burton in DT says he wants to play round 1. So must be fulltime

Are they NSW Cup guys training fulltime? I noticed Fearnley in the photos and not named as a development player

betcats

Referee
Both McGrady's and Dean Blore I think end up back there when the contract's are finalised. A story on Burton in DT says he wants to play round 1. So must be fulltime

Are they NSW Cup guys training fulltime? I noticed Fearnley in the photos and not named as a development player

Good to know he’s pushing for round 1, I really think there is a fair chance he gets spot now.

Can anyone post the story? From the headline it seems Maloney is talking him up.

Crashtest

Juniors
Can anyone post the story? From the headline it seems Maloney is talking him up.

I read the article in the actual paper today, so I don't have a way around the firewall to be able to post it for you online.

But its actually Burton saying how Maloney helped him a lot with advice this year, and that he will still be contacting Maloney for advice next season even though Maloney is now overseas.

mxlegend99

Referee

A decision on Burton could be pending on the outcome of the Tyrone May case.

If May becomes eligible for selection. Burton could get a development contract.

If he doesnt then Burton gets a top 30 spot.

Really can't see why he wouldnt be on either list yet.

Unless it's about potential signings yet to answer us. I think the safest bet is he gets promoted though. I doubt May is an option in 2020, and I doubt we have 3x players lined up to round out our top 30.

betcats

Referee
I read the article in the actual paper today, so I don't have a way around the firewall to be able to post it for you online.

But its actually Burton saying how Maloney helped him a lot with advice this year, and that he will still be contacting Maloney for advice next season even though Maloney is now overseas.

Thanks. I read the headline as ‘mentioning’ instead of ‘mentoring’. That makes more sense. Good of Jimmy to give the kid time still.

betcats

Referee
A decision on Burton could be pending on the outcome of the Tyrone May case.

If May becomes eligible for selection. Burton could get a development contract.

If he doesnt then Burton gets a top 30 spot.

Really can't see why he wouldnt be on either list yet.

Unless it's about potential signings yet to answer us. I think the safest bet is he gets promoted though. I doubt May is an option in 2020, and I doubt we have 3x players lined up to round out our top 30.

It’s definitely possible, I had the same thought yesterday. But I don’t know, imo he’s to talented not to have as an option from round 1. Even if Jerome is your 6 you want to have the option of rewarding a talent like Burton with a spot on the bench or at least naming him as 18th man a couple times if he has a big preseason etc

I think he hasn’t been named in the squad due to some technicality that is stopping them or they want to keep him motivated, or they working on a big signing...hahah

franklin2323

Immortal
It’s definitely possible, I had the same thought yesterday. But I don’t know, imo he’s to talented not to have as an option from round 1. Even if Jerome is your 6 you want to have the option of rewarding a talent like Burton with a spot on the bench or at least naming him as 18th man a couple times if he has a big preseason etc

I think he hasn’t been named in the squad due to some technicality that is stopping them or they want to keep him motivated, or they working on a big signing...hahah

I just think the squad is still taking shape. Like where is Staines? I am sure the players know where they stand just not been made public for some reason

Good to know he’s pushing for round 1, I really think there is a fair chance he gets spot now.

Here you go.

James Maloney still mentoring Penrith playmaker Matt Burton from France
Matt Logue, The Daily Telegraph
November 19, 2019 4:26pm
James Maloney now resides in south-west France but he is just a Facebook message away for rising Penrith five-eighth Matt Burton.

Burton wants to make the No.6 jersey his own, but faces stiff competition from Jarome Luai.

The Dubbo-born playmaker built a close connection with the ex-Test and Origin five-eighth during his maiden NRL season with Penrith last year.

It’s why Burton plans to reach out to Maloney on the other side of the world for any tips on how to succeed in his old No.6 jumper.
“If I get stuck with something I’ll definitely reach out to Jimmy and he’ll be there straight away,” Burton told The Daily Telegraph.

“He helped me massively last season. In the lead-up to my debut against Cronulla he was in my ear the whole time giving me little tips.

“He is a class footy player, he has got so much knowledge and he always helped people out — Jimmy is a massive loss.”

Forward Isaah Yeo believes Maloney was so influential that the Panthers will battle to find his equal in the charisma stakes.

“It’s probably Josh Mansour but to be honest Jimmy is a fair loss character wise,” Yeo said.

“He brings a lot of experience but as everyone knows he is also a larrikin, so he’ll be a loss in the dressing sheds as well.”

Burton will never match Maloney’s boisterous presence but he possesses the skills to succeed in the NRL.

He showcased this ability during his top grade debut against Cronulla in round 21 last season.

Burton looked composed as he expertly steered Penrith around the park in the absence of a suspended Maloney.

“I’ll keep working hard and see what it brings,” the 19-year-old said.

“It does feel like I’m starting again this pre-season.
“There are a lot of new faces getting around but the first few sessions have been really good.

“We’ve all bonded well and I’m really keen to see what next season brings.”

It has been a busy off-season for Burton with his loved ones back home in Dubbo also dealing with the ramifications of the drought.

He recently visited family and friends and was taken aback by the financial and mental impact the drought has had on the region.

“I was chatting to one bloke and he has spent so much money on feed for his livestock that he is in a really bad spot,” he said.
“It definitely plays with your head being in that sort of industry.

“It is getting really dry and it would be hard not having an income.

“We need some rain and hopefully we get a good amount soon.

“My dad Guy lives on a few acres near Dubbo but it’s more family and friends that I know who are in more danger.

“They are fighting for their jobs and lives really — it is shocking out there.”

Burton plans to return to Dubbo in the coming weeks to help the farmers.

“I can give them something like a jersey to boost their spirits,” he said.

“Anything just to keep people positive.”
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/3c7d60c45640ff7529a80afd923d9580

Panther Mick

Juniors
Another update this time with Kurt Capewell added.

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Nathan Cleary
3. Dylan Edwards
4. James Tamou
5. Kaide Ellis
6. JFH
7. Mitch Kenny
8. Viliame Kikau
9. Spencer Leniu
10. Moses Leota
11. Jerome Luai
12. Josh Mansour
13. Liam Martin
14. Tyrone May
15. Brent Naden
16. Billy Burns
17. Brian To'o
18. MWZ
19. Isaah Yeo
20. Api Koroisau
21. Dean Whare
22. Jack Hetherington
23. Jed Cartwright
24. Stephen Crichton
25. D Blore
26. S Blore
27. B McGrady
28. Kurt Capewell

Possible rookies that might get promoted or receive a development contract: Charlie Staines, Matt Burton,

Gains: Api Koroisau.Kurt Capewell

Upgraded to top 30.

2nd rowers: Kikau, Capewell, Martin, Yeo, Burns, Jed Cartwright, S Blore

OldPanther

Coach
Another update this time with Kurt Capewell added.

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Nathan Cleary
3. Dylan Edwards
4. James Tamou
5. Kaide Ellis
6. JFH
7. Mitch Kenny
8. Viliame Kikau
9. Spencer Leniu
10. Moses Leota
11. Jerome Luai
12. Josh Mansour
13. Liam Martin
14. Tyrone May
15. Brent Naden
16. Billy Burns
17. Brian To'o
18. MWZ
19. Isaah Yeo
20. Api Koroisau
21. Dean Whare
22. Jack Hetherington
23. Jed Cartwright
24. Stephen Crichton
25. D Blore
26. S Blore
27. B McGrady
28. Kurt Capewell

Gains: Api Koroisau.Kurt Capewell

Upgraded to top 30.

2nd rowers: Kikau, Capewell, Martin, Yeo, Burns, Jed Cartwright, S Blore

This is a good idea you've been doing.

Crashtest

Juniors
1. Caleb Aekins
2. Nathan Cleary
3. Dylan Edwards
4. James Tamou
5. Kaide Ellis
6. JFH
7. Mitch Kenny
8. Viliame Kikau
9. Spencer Leniu
10. Moses Leota
11. Jerome Luai
12. Josh Mansour
13. Liam Martin
14. Tyrone May
15. Brent Naden
16. Billy Burns
17. Brian To'o
18. MWZ
19. Isaah Yeo
20. Api Koroisau
21. Dean Whare
22. Jack Hetherington
23. Jed Cartwright
24. Stephen Crichton
25. D Blore
26. S Blore
27. B McGrady
28. Kurt Capewell

So if we add Tetevano, and Burton replaces May now that he has pleaded guilty, still leaves one spot left.