What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 End of (Regular) Season Stats

Jono078

Referee
Feel free to shares some fun (or ugly) stats from our regular season that was;

- 2nd last in points per game (17.8). This is our worst attack since 2018 where we won 9 games. However you could consider this worse than 2018 as points were easier to come by this year with the new rules. On average teams were scoring 2-3 points more per game which is fairly significant and the biggest jump year-on-year in a very long time.

- 1st in one-pass hit-ups. Really this should read as last because it's not what you want to be doing in the modern game.

- 4th worst in linebreaks and only 2 ahead of 2nd last, so not great reading.

- 4th worst in tackle breaks. I think our backs contributed mostly to this being poorer than usual

- 3rd worst goal kicking % - Hopefully Clifford is the long-term answer and improves heading into next year.

- 5th best with errors - this is pleasing but perhaps also misleading since we do the most 1-pass hitups. I think it's clear to see what sort of errors we make when playing expansive.

- 1st in discipline - this one is actually the most pleasing so far. We gave away the least penalties. Not sure on 6-agains though?

- =2nd last in decoy runs. Prob because we always play the decoy 🤷‍♂️

- 3rd last in try assists. Also not a shock considering the low points on average and our struggle to set-up tries.

- 2nd best missed tackles. Our defense has been an odd one this year but this suggests our scramble and general D is good. I'd even suggest if our kicking game and position battle was better our defense would have looked a lot better too. We put ourselves under a lot of pressure so to see this stat so good is pleasing.

That ended up being a bit more negative than I was looking for! Positive though, we're in the finals two years in a row!

Feel free to share any interesting stats you've come across this year when t comes to the Knights.

mozza91

Coach
Everyone on here will be shattered if we turn up and win next week. Will be pretty hard to whinge about that.

aqua_duck

Coach
Based on those stats it'd be really hard to justify Willie Peters retaining his job. I mean some of those stats clearly indicate there is a very deliberate emphasis to play an ultra conservative brand of football which really is going against the trend of how most teams are playing under Vlandys ball. I mean in business terms it's like most other teams have invested heavily in digital technology and we've bought all the Kodak film we could get our hands on.
What's perhaps more perplexing is last year I feel we played more expensively, given how much more open the NRL wanted to make the game based on the rule changes the logic would've been to keep moving in that direction but for some unknown reason we decided to defy logic and go extra conservative

Jono078

Referee
Based on those stats it'd be really hard to justify Willie Peters retaining his job. I mean some of those stats clearly indicate there is a very deliberate emphasis to play an ultra conservative brand of football which really is going against the trend of how most teams are playing under Vlandys ball. I mean in business terms it's like most other teams have invested heavily in digital technology and we've bought all the Kodak film we could get our hands on.
What's perhaps more perplexing is last year I feel we played more expensively, given how much more open the NRL wanted to make the game based on the rule changes the logic would've been to keep moving in that direction but for some unknown reason we decided to defy logic and go extra conservative
I do wonder how much the injuries played part in this because as you said we did seem like a more expansive team last year, albeit whilst still having the support play and decoy run issues.

I do feel we need a structural overhaul of our attack though.

Burwood

Bench
The concerning thing about our attacking stats is that it shows we haven’t adapted to what’s been happening in the comp all year. We trained one system in the off season, and then just stuck with it for 25 rounds, regardless of how unsuccessful it was.

aqua_duck

Coach
The concerning thing about our attacking stats is that it shows we haven’t adapted to what’s been happening in the comp all year. We trained one system in the off season, and then just stuck with it for 25 rounds, regardless of how unsuccessful it was.
Given the strength of our pack I can somewhat understand the push to play up the middle and to be fair it's not a bad tactic, the issue is what happens after our forwards punch a hole up the middle. The good teams take advantage when forwards bend the line and get quick PTB, a team like Melbourne will shred the opposition behind the ruck whereas a team like manly will use the space on the outside as the defence compresses in, we follow up a dominant run with another one out run. The difference is best case scenario for a team like storm or manly is a 6 again from markers not been square, line break or try where as for us the best case scenario is what would've been a say a 10m hit up is now a 15m hit up.

Old dog

Juniors
Our big problem is that unless we go left to Ponga, Best etc we go right to Mann who invariably cuts in left towards the existing defence line leaving a sometimes unmarked winger to wonder what the f*** happened

Yosh

Coach
Our big problem is that unless we go left to Ponga, Best etc we go right to Mann who invariably cuts in left towards the existing defence line leaving a sometimes unmarked winger to wonder what the f*** happened
Hymel Hunt: the loneliest man in League...

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
At least with Gags at right centre next year we’ve got a guy who can step to the outside and put his winger away.

Jono078

Referee
Looks like the Knights took some inspiration from my post. Here are the stats they shared;

My favorite is they’ve listed us as having kicked the ball more than the Eels as a positive. Cool bananas 🍌

Latest posts