What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Expansion Discussion

zombie jesus

Staff member
What would people think about expansion? Adding 2 teams if there is interest. How to do it is the tricky part, but we can cross that bridge if we come to it.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
yeah happy for that to happen, maybe a keep top 5 selected players + all Rookie contracts, the rest go in to full FA redraft, then do the rookie draft after that.

Looks like i'm going to scrape by, after the colossal screw up of not saving my submitted line up.

nick87

Coach
Id be cool with it, but yeah how we did it would be tough

I guess we could maybe protect 7 or so players each, the rest are rescinded, give the expansion teams the top 2 picks and then it's a FA free for all. The expansion teams would be pushing shit up a hill for the first few years though if we are protecting anymore than 2-3 players each, and protecting less would be brutal for teams who have built towards a title run

Mjp81

Juniors
I was thinking we protect 1 QB, 3 RB or WR (kinda like a flex option) and then 1 of each of the remaining positions. Then the new franchises can pilfer 1 or 2 unprotected players from each squad. Then the rest are thrown back into free agency. New franchises are tacked on at the 13 and 14 draft positions. The disadvantage here should hopefully be picked up in FA if they have chosen smartly in the ‘pilfer’ draft and could potentially have a cap advantage. This does however really punish the sides who have been building well and sit atop the competition and gives bums like myself an opportunity for a reset.

kurt faulk

Coach

I don't think anything has to change much.

The two expansion teams should get to choose one player from each team. That will give them 12 players each to build their teams from and then maybe they get the top 2 slots in the draft. Then do the auction as per normal.

We'll have to work out how many players each team can protect from the expansion teams.

kurt faulk

Coach

further to my post, the expansion teams should only be allowed to choose

1 qb
2 rbs
2 wrs
1 te
2 dl
2 lb
2 db

and they're pretty much set.

existing teams will only lose 2 players each.

and something like each existing team can only lose 1 offensive player and 1 defensive player.

expansion teams take turns picking up players in an expansion draft.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Besides the team building stuff, if we get to 14 there's 2 options

Two divisions of 7, play div rivals twice over 12 weeks, usual top 6 and a 2-week championship game to finish it off.

Or everyone just plays everyone else once and a top six from there.

The first option is good to build up conference rivalries, the second option was the original set up.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Would like to get the 14th owner and how we will incorporate them sorted through January while everyone is still engaged in the football season.

One spot open.

nick87

Coach
If the way we decide to incorporate them proves to be an issue, I actually don’t mind the idea of being an expansion team

If it helps fill the spot I would be happy for one of the new guys to take my roster, and set up (it’s solid with room to work with) and then I could be one of the expansion owners

If the way we decide to incorporate them proves to be an issue, I actually don’t mind the idea of being an expansion team

If it helps fill the spot I would be happy for one of the new guys to take my roster, and set up (it’s solid with room to work with) and then I could be one of the expansion owners

Heheheh. I’ve read a lot about what Philly can do about the Wentz purgatory that they find themselves in, but Nick offering to chuck his Wentztlvania keys under the bushes and walk away under the guise of magnanimity is probably the best Wentz related ditch story yet.