What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Expansion Discussion

skeepe

Immortal
You’re not getting Jalen Hurts off my taxi squad, he’s the future of the QB Camp

zombie jesus

Staff member
8 votes and it's 50/50 on resetting. If you haven't got the link, let me know and I'll send it to you.

zombie jesus

Staff member
This is the set up I'm thinking of at the moment for an expansion draft, please speak up if you disagree, it's all up for discussion, just a starting point for now.

Expansion draft where the new teams take a player from each team, 2 full rounds then a wild card round of 4 picks
1.1 Team A limited to players from 1st (House of Carr)
1.2 Team B limited to players from 2nd (Diamond Dogs)
1.3 Team A limited to players from 3rd
1.4 Team B limited to players from 4th
and so on for 2 full rounds of 12 picks.
Team A and B swap who they take players form in the second round.
4 wild card picks each from any teams after that, max 1 player from each team so nobody loses more than three players.

Protect 5 players in the first round, no more than two from each position.
Protect 10 players in the second round, no more than 3 from each position.
Protect 15 players for the wild card picks, no more than 4 from each position.

Under this set up expansion teams finish up up 16 contracted players + 7 draft picks and 11 players to pick up in FA.

Everyone keeps rookie contract players by default + whatever number of protected players we decide on. So it would be you can protect X players + any rookie contracts on your roster.

The first two picks of each round of our usual rookie draft go to the new teams in 2021.

Maybe an extra 3rd or 4th round pick for the expansion teams?

Comp picks for teams who get top performers taken based their 2020 stats, so if your top 10 RB gets taken then your 7th rounder becomes a 2nd or 3rd rounder or something like that.

Contract year minimum on protected players so you can't just hold on to all your long term contracts.

Again, please give any suggestions, I'm writing this off the top of my head so bound to be issues.

Cry Havoc

Juniors
This is the set up I'm thinking of at the moment for an expansion draft, please speak up if you disagree, it's all up for discussion, just a starting point for now.

Expansion draft where the new teams take a player from each team, 2 full rounds then a wild card round of 4 picks
1.1 Team A limited to players from 1st (House of Carr)
1.2 Team B limited to players from 2nd (Diamond Dogs)
1.3 Team A limited to players from 3rd
1.4 Team B limited to players from 4th
and so on for 2 full rounds of 12 picks.
Team A and B swap who they take players form in the second round.
4 wild card picks each from any teams after that, max 1 player from each team so nobody loses more than three players.

Protect 5 players in the first round, no more than two from each position.
Protect 10 players in the second round, no more than 3 from each position.
Protect 15 players for the wild card picks, no more than 4 from each position.

Under this set up expansion teams finish up up 16 contracted players + 7 draft picks and 11 players to pick up in FA.

Everyone keeps rookie contract players by default + whatever number of protected players we decide on. So it would be you can protect X players + any rookie contracts on your roster.

The first two picks of each round of our usual rookie draft go to the new teams in 2021.

Maybe an extra 3rd or 4th round pick for the expansion teams?

Comp picks for teams who get top performers taken based their 2020 stats, so if your top 10 RB gets taken then your 7th rounder becomes a 2nd or 3rd rounder or something like that.

Contract year minimum on protected players so you can't just hold on to all your long term contracts.

Again, please give any suggestions, I'm writing this off the top of my head so bound to be issues.

as I’m one of the newbies I’ll leave it up to you all to decide but this sounds good to me.

kurt faulk

Coach

can you expand on this because it sounds very bad. you can't punish teams that want to keep their best players that have long contracts.

the expansion teams will get the chance to steal plenty of good players.

I’m ok with that. My list is pretty shit with just a couple of favourites I’d want to keep, so I think that would cover that.

I take it this all done after the lists tick over and the uncontracted players slough off? Do we still get to nominate one Franchise Tag and RFA’s for a particular pick up off the blind bids?

Also, I’m presuming if they are taking them off your roster that they are taking them at that existing contract value? But not contract years?

zombie jesus

Staff member
Also, I’m presuming if they are taking them off your roster that they are taking them at that existing contract value? But not contract years?
I like this point, didn't think of that. Maybe they can apply so many 5 year deals, so many 4 year deals etc.
I’m ok with that. My list is pretty shit with just a couple of favourites I’d want to keep, so I think that would cover that.

I take it this all done after the lists tick over and the uncontracted players slough off? Do we still get to nominate one Franchise Tag and RFA’s for a particular pick up off the blind bids?
Yeah, after everything ticks over. Tags still happen, I;d say if you're tagging a guy you'll make him one of your protected players. I was going to remove one of the RFA tags this season as we are now long enough into the comp that the 5th year option on first rounders will be kicking in. So one tag and one RFA.
can you expand on this because it sounds very bad. you can't punish teams that want to keep their best players that have long contracts.

the expansion teams will get the chance to steal plenty of good players.

Forget that point now, I like @Sans Souci Sainter's mention of them expansion teams applying years rather than taking on that part of the contract.

By the time my uncontracted players slough off and I tag the few players (whatever that number may be) I won’t have that many players available anyway. Attractive targets or otherwise.

In normal circumstances, after tags, RFA and a possible renegotiation, I might have only had 17-20 players coming back anyway.

If I can hold onto the top 4-5 players, I’m not fussed.

Understand that other teams wouldn’t be in the “rebuild phase” that I find myself in though and others could be a bit tetchy on giving up more players.

My point here being is that there might be quite a big FA pool anyway? I do still get the need for a rationalisation to avoid the new guys being in the wilderness straight off the bat.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
I gotta get my head around it properly to know what it all means
but nothing stuck out at me there initially that would be a problem

i like that rookies are protected, just to confirm thats any player on their current rookie deal yes? And how do we treat a rookie deal expiring this year? Are protected or because they are pending F/A and thus their contract is over, they need to be protected?

I dont think it matters greatly, because it's only going to impact a handful of players, but good to iron it out now so we know what to do with our protections

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
Also, Chase Claypool was a draft pick, but ended up on my taxi squad, and then i promoted him... is that now a rookie deal? or do i have to protect him?

zombie jesus

Staff member
I gotta get my head around it properly to know what it all means
but nothing stuck out at me there initially that would be a problem

i like that rookies are protected, just to confirm thats any player on their current rookie deal yes? And how do we treat a rookie deal expiring this year? Are protected or because they are pending F/A and thus their contract is over, they need to be protected?

I dont think it matters greatly, because it's only going to impact a handful of players, but good to iron it out now so we know what to do with our protections

Expiring rookie deals would be treated as any other FA except for first rounders. We will have the 5th year option for first rounders kicking in for the first time.

We'll go through our usual off season stuff... rule changes, contract year roll back, cut zero year players, tag and RFA draft before they do the expansion draft. Then rookie draft and FA as normal after that.
Also, Chase Claypool was a draft pick, but ended up on my taxi squad, and then i promoted him... is that now a rookie deal? or do i have to protect him?

I wouldn't class that as a rookie deal as you've rescinded his rookie contract to demote him off the active roster. So he'd have to be protected.

skeepe

Immortal
So at this stage, I’ve only got 14 players returning for next season and 20 off contract - we’ll probably tag Kamara, so 15 and 19 - how would that work for the wildcard round? I’d be basically protecting the whole roster?