What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Game I - NSW 50-6 QLD @ QCBS Townsville

Series: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Waking up after putting 50 on the two heads

19. You Are Now Officially A Morning Person. GIF - WakeUp Dance Dancing GIFs

Nerd

Bench
With the 3 Queensland teams so far down the ladder I can't see how they will improve much in the next 2 games. If nothing else Coates is a massive liability in defence and should be dropped for the next game but I can't think of anyone who is a standout to replace him with. Even with Papallii back and Welch staying on the field for a whole game I don't think QLD have the cattle to go with NSW in the forwards which just opens it up for their team full of in form backs.

With the 3 Queensland teams so far down the ladder I can't see how they will improve much in the next 2 games. If nothing else Coates is a massive liability in defence and should be dropped for the next game but I can't think of anyone who is a standout to replace him with. Even with Papallii back and Welch staying on the field for a whole game I don't think QLD have the cattle to go with NSW in the forwards which just opens it up for their team full of in form backs.
Everyone was talking about how the QLD pack was superior but I never bought it. Payne Haas was average across his previous origin games but last night showed just why Brisbane coughed up so much for him and let Fifita walk. Fifita was super average last night and don’t think he will be nearly as effective in Origin with much less space and facing much better defence. Although I do think he could be a player like Papallii, who started on the edges and then moved upfront and dominated in Origin. With the speed the game is being played, smaller guys with good footwork will be the ones to dominate upfront in Origin.

Fun statistical quirk: only two Blues forwards ran for 100m+: Haas and Saifiti. Turbo set the tone in the first set. The backs laid their own platform.
When the team was announced I was on here singling out Jake Trbojevic, especially since NSW really lack go forward last year. As the game approached it made much more sense, he was used in the opening to take the punch out of the QLD pack with his defence and then bringing on Payne Haas fresh to do some damage and play long minutes alongside Saifiti. It worked well.

Sphagnum

Coach
Everyone was talking about how the QLD pack was superior but I never bought it. Payne Haas was average across his previous origin games but last night showed just why Brisbane coughed up so much for him and let Fifita walk. Fifita was super average last night and don’t think he will be nearly as effective in Origin with much less space and facing much better defence. Although I do think he could be a player like Papallii, who started on the edges and then moved upfront and dominated in Origin. With the speed the game is being played, smaller guys with good footwork will be the ones to dominate upfront in Origin.
He is a garbage defender

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
When the team was announced I was on here singling out Jake Trbojevic, especially since NSW really lack go forward last year. As the game approached it made much more sense, he was used in the opening to take the punch out of the QLD pack with his defence and then bringing on Payne Haas fresh to do some damage and play long minutes alongside Saifiti. It worked well.
Jurbo is also the best low tackler in the game, most unlikely to cop a BS sin bin (thank f**k the ref threw the crackdown out the window last night anyway) but he stops the pigs with cutters and refs are generally giving him more leeway in the ruck these days after he cuts them down, a welcomed symptom of the crackdown.

Jurbo is also the best low tackler in the game, most unlikely to cop a BS sin bin (thank f**k the ref threw the crackdown out the window last night anyway) but he stops the pigs with cutters and refs are generally giving him more leeway in the ruck these days after he cuts them down, a welcomed symptom of the crackdown.
Exactly.

There were guys like TPJ and Klemmer that were left out who pack for more go forward but the risk was their defence and potential high tackle that could lead to a binning.

Radley will be available for game 2 but I wouldn’t go near him either cause of the same risk.

King hit

Coach
It doesn’t help that for many years now all the best Queenslanders with the exception of Thurston all play for the storm or the odd NSW team

big hit!

Bench
The lack of effort was very strange.
QLD teams always go down swinging when they are outplayed.
These guys played like NSWelshmen from the bad old days.
Id say there is a long line of FOGs gearing up to attend training for Origin 2.
This NSW side will only get stronger. Some serious soul searching is in order or another bagful is awaiting them in Brissie.

I knew QLD were done as soon Welch was gone. He, Grant & Kaufusi, Tino are really THE pack at the moment. Papali'i is going to be big addition. Really need him back ASAP. They struggled not having Welch, Papa, and Collins in the rotation controlling the ruck and line speed at A & B defender, as well as the impact of their carries. NSW just rolled through in attack and QLD were on the back foot the whole game. Compare that with the line speed NSW brought to the contest.

Welch is going to give you effort, and only one thing apart from a broken leg was going to stop him, and that happened early in the game last night.

Felise had a poor one. Fotuaika put in a decent shift, but lacked impact. The rest of them weren't even on the field. Arrow, Su'A, Fifita, Ofa .... seriously I have to look up the QLD team because I can't remember who played, they were that invisible.

The Capewell experiment at centre has to end. He's a good footballer, but he's going to get owned by Trbo more often than the other way round - give it to him, he did stand up Trbo for his and QLD's only try. He'll be much better closer to the ruck in the bench rotation, and they'll need him there because Su'A is not even NRL level at the moment.

Last edited: