What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 GF | PREMIERS - Penrith 14-12 South Sydney @ Suncorp

Grand Final: Penrith v South Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 53 51.5%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 50 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blaza88z

Coach
"By the same token, the decision to not award the Rabbitohs with a fresh set of six when Spencer Leniu “charged down” Reynolds was even more of a headscratcher."

Wtf is wrong with idiots not understanding this, let alone a 'journalist'?

It wasn't a charge down, he tackled Reynolds... The ruling is black and white, it's not like the Bunnies got a dud call.

This is up there with the down town rule.
It's an odd one, but it is the rule.

It's clearly a terrible interpretation of the rule, I don't think it was the wrong call but the interpretation has got to be changed.

If he passes it and it's touched in an attempt to make a tackle it's 6 again, why should it be different if it's a kick?

KennySterling

Juniors
Ivan Cleary is the most objectionable coach to ever win the premiership. f**k it’s going to be a rough 12 months with those smug bastards as reigning premiers.
Excluding Ricky....waaaaaaay back in 02.
Of course he hasn't won one with Raiders, has he ? Nor will he, ever.

BranVan3000

Coach
It's clearly a terrible interpretation of the rule, I don't think it was the wrong call but the interpretation has got to be changed.

If he passes it and it's touched in an attempt to make a tackle it's 6 again, why should it be different if it's a kick?
I would flip it around and say if either a kick or pass hits the player attempting to make a tackle it shouldn't be six again. I can think of plenty of times where its just been a shit kick or pass that ends up rewarding the attacking team

If not then it should be always a six again

Make it black and white, clear as day.

Souths could have picked that ball up before it went over into touch but let it roll out because the interpretation is so murky and the refs didn't declare what happened until it was out

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I would flip it around and say if either a kick or pass hits the player attempting to make a tackle it shouldn't be six again. I can think of plenty of times where its just been a shit kick or pass that ends up rewarding the attacking team

If not then it should be always a six again

Make it black and white, clear as day.

Souths could have picked that ball up before it went over into touch but let it roll out because the interpretation is so murky and the refs didn't declare what happened until it was out
The rules pretty clear. It wasn't played at off Reynolds boot.

If the ball was given back to South's that would be against the rules.

Ph1l

Juniors
The “conceding 50 points in a game” hoodoo remains. Ironic that the two players providing the old goat (correctly spelt, btw) with some undeserved status would throw an intercept pass and miss a conversion to provide the Panthers a win. Karma?

What an absolutely cracking game of footy.

First up - congrats Penrith. Did it the hard way and took the chocolates. Enjoy the win 😀. 15 other teams’ fans all wish they were smug today LOL.

To the Bunnies - so proud of them in 2021. Fought to the end but wasn’t to be. The Reynolds era ends and it has been ten fantastic seasons I didn’t think I’d ever see after the 90s and 00s.

As a game it was a tense arm wrestle. Despite the prevailing thought that 100 points a game is good footy, it was satisfying seeing 2 tries a piece and not a romp.

Signing off for the year, super proud of the code and the players and all teams for entertaining me this year. Simply the best.

One last thing - huge congrats to Alex Johnston. 30 tries in a season. A feat not done since the 1950s.

Munted

Bench

I assume it's different because passes go backwards and kicks go forward, so there could be a way to game the rule and kick the ball forward into a rushing defender, have players set up to recoup the ball and grab a cheeky 6 again.
It's like Cam Smith throwing the ball from dummy half into a player laying in the ruck minding his own business.

Bazal

Post Whore
I assume it's different because passes go backwards and kicks go forward, so there could be a way to game the rule and kick the ball forward into a rushing defender, have players set up to recoup the ball and grab a cheeky 6 again.
It's like Cam Smith throwing the ball from dummy half into a player laying in the ruck minding his own business.

Neither should be six again. The call.last night was correct, it's just frustrating that the NRL has so many different rules for it.

If a bloke knocks down a pass accidentally it's played at cos he's making a tackle therefore the rule he's 'playing at' the ball...but if he knocks it out of a guys hands while making a tackle it's a loose carry, and if it his his arms making a tackle it's play on

Just make it all the same....

ACTPanthers

Bench
Now the initial shock is over.

I have a few close friends and family that are bunnies supporters so I do feel for you guys.

Always hard to lose a GF. You should all be proud of your teams effort though

Neither should be six again. The call.last night was correct, it's just frustrating that the NRL has so many different rules for it.

If a bloke knocks down a pass accidentally it's played at cos he's making a tackle therefore the rule he's 'playing at' the ball...but if he knocks it out of a guys hands while making a tackle it's a loose carry, and if it his his arms making a tackle it's play on

Just make it all the same....
im happy with the loose carry rule , it does open it up to some individual interpretation from referees but I get why a hard tackle knocking the ball free from a ball carrier who doesn't have enough respect for the ball or is trying to offload it shouldn't be rewarded with another 6.

last nights ruling was lacking common sense.

yobbo84

First Grade
Should be based on the actions of the defender. If you are charging at the kicker, like last night, it should be ruled as you playing at the ball. If you are passive, it is not played at.

Otherwise, pass or kick, if you're not playing at the ball directly then it shouldn't be six again.

yobbo84

First Grade
Another point - all the NRL and V'landys bluster about concussions was shown up as a lie last night.

A direct, forceful swinging arm to the head concussed one of our forwards and ruled him out of the match. The result? Just a penalty.

Don't get me wrong, there were mitigating circumstances and I like that interpretation, it's what Rugby League should be, but it's NOT what we got leading into the finals.

forby

Juniors
Stop with the ref bashing. South's had the penalties 3-2, and the restarts 5-1. They scored both tries on the back of penalties. What more do they want.
It was a great game of football won by the better team on the night. Both teams and the officials gave their all and should be praised for their efforts.
Bring on 2022!

Munted

Bench
Don't get me wrong, there were mitigating circumstances and I like that interpretation, it's what Rugby League should be, but it's NOT what we got leading into the finals.
The finals were reffed completely different to the regular season.
We had 2 blowouts out of the 9 finals games, but every other game was closely fought and down to the wire, all four panthers games and roosters v titans were anybodies game until the final whistle.

Happy for the ref to adjudicate that way, but doing it all season would be preferred.

Last edited:

Tiger5150

Bench
I think in the end the result will keep us competitive for the next few years. Its going to sting a lot of our young guys but the fire will be there

I could have seen Cook and Walker sailing off into the sunset with a win and I'm not sure how healthy it is for a young guy like Taaffe to win a GF so "easily".

Panther Pete

Juniors
Im really flip flopping between who I want to win, or really its who I want to lose more. So I'm putting together a list:

Pros in Penrith losing:
* Ivan will be sad and potentially have a complete mental break down over Bennett smiling
* Every year penrith don't win it Gould becomes less able to take credit for a Premiership
* Latrell Mitchell will probably have another massive sook on social media about not playing
* Souths fans dont get to go to the game and enjoy it properly
* Souths windown ends this season so they wont win it again anytime soon
* I'll be happy for Benji
* Teams that lose 2 GFs in a row then become AIDS for the next few years (Easts 03/04, Saints 92/93, Balmain 88/89)

Pros in Souths losing:
* Russell Crowe will cry and likley blame the referees
* We won't have to listen to Gould go on about how Penrith were actually the better team for the next 12 months
* Penrith will probably win one with this squad at some stage, and LOL@ their fans not being able to celebrate it properly due to lockdown
* The two times Penrith won a comp they've then been completely irrelevant for the next decade
* The media won't have all off season saying 'I cant believe the Tigers let Benji go'
* Souths will still have 1 comp in the last 50 years and wont be adding to it anytime soon
* I dont find the Panthers team anywhere near as unlikable as they were last year
* I can say we beat the Premiers
* Dylan Edwards winning a comp gives hope to all the kids plying their trade in the 12Ds that they can still make it

From my observations Souths fans seem fairly relaxed whilst Panthers fans are nervous. Funnily enough this is mirrored by their coaches.

I just hope its entertaining. I dont buy the games are good just becuase they are close. The Panthers/Storm game was absolute dogshit quality and only exciting in the last 4 minutes because it was close and a final. The Eels/Panthers game was ordinary too but slightly better viewing.

Ultimately I'm tipping Penrith something like 14-12. This was said for another game but my big hope is that its a controversial game with the better team losing due to a dud bunker call in the last minute.
Well done predicting the score!

Last edited: