What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Grand Final: Panthers V Souths

The_Frog

First Grade
I'm pretty calm...until the last 10 minutes of the match if there is nothing in it. One things for sure, I won't be in here during the game. Could miss a vital play. Will be back laters if we win. 😀
Me either. The TV is in another room of the mansion.

The bookies have Penrith $1-65 favourites with the Bunnies outsiders at $2-35. These odds are for each $1 invested. If you put $100 on Penrith to win and they do you would receive $165-00. In layman’s terms there is more money in Penrith to win that is why they are paying less.
And the more money goes onto one team, the ‘shorter’ they get. Ie, if I put $1m on Penrith, the bookmakers will want to limit their loses, so they will bring the odds in; ie the next person to back them might only get $1.50. On the flip side, as the Panthers get shorter, it is likely that the bookies will want to incentivise people to back the Rabbits (as it reduces their risk); so they will lengthen the odds of the rabbits.

The_Frog

First Grade
The bookies have Penrith $1-65 favourites with the Bunnies outsiders at $2-35. These odds are for each $1 invested. If you put $100 on Penrith to win and they do you would receive $165-00. In layman’s terms there is more money in Penrith to win that is why they are paying less.
Not necessarily more money, the odds are because we're considered marginalloy more likely to win. I'd expect the money to be on Souffs with their supporter base, especially among the affluent.

GongPanther

Referee
I am not a betting lady, so can you, please, explain to me the bet odds meaning?
Panthers are $1.65 Souths $2.30. The huge weight of money is usually a fair indication of a result, but NOT a guaranteed result, with all factors taken in consideration.

Panthers are $1.65 faves head to head, because of the weight of bets that have been put on the Panthers to win.

With the indication of the amount of money bet on Penrith, that tends to subsequently attract even bigger bets which have been put on in the past 1/2 hour or so.

soc123_au

Staff member
just finished with 2 of my side pieces now I’m on the Canadian club waiting to see Wayne and Benji go out with a well deserved premiership
2 of your mates giving you the harbour bridge treatment dont qualify as side pieces. I hope the canadian club gets the taste out of your mouth though. Enjoy the game.

The_Frog

First Grade
I am not a betting lady, so can you, please, explain to me the bet odds meaning?
Likelihood of each result, expressed as a dividend if successful. So a price of $1.65 indicates a bet of 65 cents (bookmaker) against $1.00 (punter). So ignoring their margin (which is in the vicinity of 5%) they've assessed Panthers as having 100 chances of winning in 165 (ie the punters stake divided by the full stake). This equates to a winning chance of roughly 60%. If that's what they're paying on, the true winning chance woulod be slightly higher. Maybe weight of money has affected the price, but it hasn't changed much during the week.