What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Grand Final: Panthers V Souths

kinghippo

Juniors
I actually thought that we shelved the grubber yesterday.

Early in the season we were getting a HEAP of forced drop outs. In the last few months we have gone away from it a lot.

I think forcing drop outs will be key in making some of the big Souths forwards tired.

If we try to make this a forward battle like against the Storm - we lose. We are more busted now than at the start of the game yesterday and we can't rely on luck to reduce their bench to 2.

We have to play smarter and I think repeat sets is something that will help us immensely.
I was screaming for repeat set's yesterday, but it looked like it deliberately wasn't in the play book.
We tried the inside ball to Edwards 3 times which was a very clunky and awkward play, and were caught on the 5th about 4 or 5 times in their 10.
The other thing which was odd was the amount of times cleary ran on the 4th.
I think it was good for luai to kick a bit more but having both halves available to attack on the 5th is important.

The_Frog

First Grade
He should be given a break either side of halftime, He is just too valuable at the beginning and end of games
That's 2 replacements for him, 2 for JFH, 2 for the other prop, one to bring May on, leaving only 1 left in case someone gets hurt. Seems risky.

GongPanther

Referee
I don't think it will be close. I reckon it will be a thrashing in favour of a Panthers win.
I just felt the Panthers had a soft run in and the squad was all over the place. When they got back together they faced Tigers and Eels NSW cups side. Bad prep. They needed some tough games to help them remember what level is needed to win.
The Eels had a brutal 5 weeks but come out of it seasoned and went up a gear in finals. I feel like Panthers got sloppy and just didn't get to the intensity needed when they met souths recently.
I'd be surprised if Souths stayed within 20 tbh. I just feel Penrith will going an early lead and run away in last 20 mins.
I'll be waiting till Tuesday's team day to dwell on how we will do. And even so, all the players will be named on an extended bench, so it won't be till Saturday when we will know our final squad for Sunday.

Munky

Coach
Burgess run for over 200 meters last game stop that we go a long way to winning

He is their forward difference maker.

Like us and Kikau.

Murray and Yeo are the best forwards for either side but it's the consistency of their work rather than one huge run that makes them great.

Frankus

Juniors
We need to play this game slightly differently. Our smash and bash and sustained pressure worked a treat against Melbourne. Whilst we still need to be doing that, spreading the ball early in our sets in our own half will be key to eating easy metres against the bunnies. They play such a compressed defence early in sets.

The_Frog

First Grade
Mind games? That has bugger all to do with Rustys side, so I don't know what he is going on about. Maybe someone can post the 16 points Manly scored against them last Friday.😃
I'd say he was hoping to get Penrith in trouble but you don't have to own a team to know that its the ref who marks the spot for kicks at goals, and it is Sutton getting the please explain.

chrisD

Coach
Starting to get our confidence back with the ball, even if Kikau is the only one who can execute a f**king pass for a try.

It'll all come together with the ball against their paper defence, the refs won't be all up in the game's ass this time, Burton won't f**k up again, Staines won't be there to f**k up, and that should be enough to put 30 on (50 if we were fit) and keep any real tries out against these f**khead frauds. They'll get as many points as they can ass out of kicks, so say 30-6.

tripster

Juniors
I had prepared myself mentally all week for a loss against the Storm (the hope that we might win was, by Saturday night, only a fleeting thought in the back of my mind that I didn't seriously entertain).

Now I keep pinching myself today about the fact we are in the GF again, and I am hungrily seeking out every single GF related article I can find online (and will continue to do so during the week in the build up to the game).

Are there any updates on any of the injuries? Can we needle up JFH and TPJ to just get them through the game?

Last edited:

Frankus

Juniors
I had prepared myself mentally all week for a loss against the Storm last week (the hope that we might win was, by Saturday night, only a fleeting thought in the back of my mind that I didn't seriously entertain).

Now I keep pinching myself today about the fact we are in the GF again, and I am hungrily seeking out every single GF related article I can find online (and will continue to do so during the week in the build up to the game).

Are there any updates on any of the injuries? Can we needle up JFH and TPJ to just get them through the game?
If they are both minor medial concerns then strapping and possibly needling would be fine. Minor medial sprains/tears, you can play on. Keeping warm is key, as soon as you cool down it gets stuff, starts to swell and its pretty nasty and painful to walk on the day after. Though if we win I’m sure they won’t even notice the pain.

Girds89

Bench
If they are both minor medial concerns then strapping and possibly needling would be fine. Minor medial sprains/tears, you can play on. Keeping warm is key, as soon as you cool down it gets stuff, starts to swell and its pretty nasty and painful to walk on the day after. Though if we win I’m sure they won’t even notice the pain.

Yeah i saw with tpj if its grade 1 mcl he should be ok.

Grade 2 mcl and hes looking at 2-4 weeks. Not sure if needling will help given the instability to the knee.

Latest posts