What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Origin III - NSW 18-20 QLD @ Cbus Super

Series: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vic Mackey

Referee
The picking extra second rowers instead of props has been going on for well over a decade. NSW selectors are just as much to blame as this has been going on long before Fittler or even Laurie Daley were appointed to coach NSW.

As to Tedesco, if you think he played badly you need your head read. Bad players don't go looking for the ball to inject themselves. They don't bob up all over the field, make more runs than any other player in the squad (24 compared to To'o and Turbo who hade 16) nor make the most meters in the team with ball in hand (204 meters, compared to To'o with 180 meters and Turbo with 147 meters). Thing is how many times when Tedesco ran was there no one pushing up in support with him? If you think that means he had a shocker, then sorry but you are a very poor judge.

NSW player stats, from fox Sports (source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/match-centre/SOO20210301/stats)

View attachment 50636

Thats great Re Teddys meters, as a fullback you always get a stack from kick return meters. If you think thats the be all end all of being a good player I guess you think Aiden Tolmans was the best prop in the game from 2008-2013. You know who touches the ball the most across the whole comp in games they play? Brodie Croft. Does that make him a great player?

Teddys clearly a very good player, I thought he was poor last night and the sentiments from this thread agree. He was stifling NSWs attack all night by crabbing across field, as was evidenced in the penultimate play.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yeah I'm ok with call, but the application of the rule is f**ked and I am extra Salty because it is Munster.
If the shoe is on the other foot and Martin barges Munster out of the way to get to the ball, he is likely penalised for interfering with the defender.

100% mate.

On a side note Martin was really underused the whole series especially last night

Munky

Coach
Thats great Re Teddys meters, as a fullback you always get a stack from kick return meters. If you think thats the be all end all of being a good player I guess you think Aiden Tolmans was the best prop in the game from 2008-2013. You know who touches the ball the most across the whole comp in games they play? Brodie Croft. Does that make him a great player?

Teddys clearly a very good player, I thought he was poor last night and the sentiments from this thread agree. He was stifling NSWs attack all night by crabbing across field, as was evidenced in the penultimate play.

Dylan Edwards is a hard working fullback who breaks a ton of tackles and makes a stack of metres.

However he has no explosiveness so doesn't come out the other side for a clean line break. Tedesco played like him last night.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Fifita is an Origin dud and Arrow is overrated. You were better served with their replacements.
Fittler deserves the majority of the blame for that loss. He's proven to be a terrible coach and just got lucky that he came into Origin when Smith, Thurston, Cronk all retired and he Slater for 2 games. He lost the unlosable series last year mainly off the back of terrible selctions.

Last night picked 2 props in the entire squad. has Murray and Crichton on the field at the same time but was playing Cam on an edge and Angus in the middle?!?!

Everyones spoken about the diabaolical halves pairing. NSW had 54% possession and field position and still lost.

Also no ones ever going to publicly say it in the media (Fox Sports this morning called him our best) but Teddy had a shocker and if we're being serious is probably NSW's 4th best fullback currently. I'm all for him giving him next series but he has lost a yard of pace, looks burnt out and has for a year now.

NSW are just lucky that they should shit the next 3-4 series in with ease if they are anyway serious as QLD are terrible and I dont see a lot else in the cupboard. Ponga/Munster/Walker/Grant should cause some problems moving forward but the 2-5 and pack are miles behind NSW.
Tedesco was excellent taking the hard runs out of our own end or the few times we tried playing the ball out of our own half. He was woeful on attack in their 20 and just got in the way.

The_Frog

First Grade
Dylan Edwards is a hard working fullback who breaks a ton of tackles and makes a stack of metres.

However he has no explosiveness so doesn't come out the other side for a clean line break. Tedesco played like him last night.
Dylan has it all over Teddy in reading the play from the back.

mongoose

Coach
Got to say, If QLD had a fully fit side all series it could have been different

NSW well and truly deserved this years trophy but hopefully next year our boys can stay fit and QLD field the best team throughout the series, It will make for a great series
The Gold Coast probably has the most tattoo parlous per capita in the world next to Miami USA lol

To be fair from Burleigh down to the Tweed river its a real nice place

Tweed Titan

Bench
Giving Wighton the 6 jersey and Api the 14 was a bit like a wife in a sexless relationship giving her husband a pity f**k every 12 months.

Clearly not the right move but they had been good soldiers throughout the series so Freddy felt sorry for them and gave them a run.

STORM.99/07

Bench
Ruling was correct there with Martin but fair dinkum I hate the rule. Melbourne do this all the time to “protect” their wingers. That said kick tries are a bore anyway. It shouldn’t have come down to that just give it to Latrell and Tommy T…it wasn’t rocket science
Munster just stood there and Martin ran into him playing for a penalty. Not smart play by Martin

The loss bothers me more than it should. If you gave the Qld 2008-10 team 3 games in a series in NSW you know they would give an arm and a leg for a clean sweep on NSW soil. That should have been our motivation.

Freddy again trying to be too cute with his selections. Our outside backs are incredible, just pick a set of halves who can get them early ball, kick well and not overplay their hand (Adam Reynolds to a T). He completely butchered his game management too, burning all his interchanges with 10 to go, and the decision to take the penalty goal was moronic. Happy to win the series, but we let Qld get more out of that series than they should have (same with 2020 & 2019).

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Ruling was correct there with Martin but fair dinkum I hate the rule. Melbourne do this all the time to “protect” their wingers. That said kick tries are a bore anyway. It shouldn’t have come down to that just give it to Latrell and Tommy T…it wasn’t rocket science
Let’s f**k VlandysBall off and bring in MaryBall. Tries off kicks are worth 2 points and the conversion for them only worth 1 point.

It’s what the fans WaNt!!

Bazal

Post Whore
Im all for a Mitch pile on, however am somewhat surprisingly going to go into bat for him here. To me he was ok and played exactly how I thought he would. He isnt a play maker and hasnt been for years. He's basically Adam Reynolds these days in that he just leads the team around and kicks on the last. TBF he does it very well. Against teams 7th and lower he will take the line on but never does against top teams, FYI he didnt get tackled once last night, not once.

Last night he did exactly what he does for Parra every week, he's not going to win you a big game but he can put you in a position to win it, you just need someone else to make the big play (unless its a bomb and hope) Turbo nearly did and Teddy tried but isnt what he was.

Pairing him with Simple jack was a horrible matchup. Latrell and Turbo needed to come infield to get the ball asthey were catching a cold out wide and thats on Fittler. If you're ever going to pick Mitch in origin you need to match him with a Keary, Luai or Walker. He and Cleary would be just as bad as he and Wighton.

He did try and run the ball a couple of times, but he passed before the line.

Thought his only real run in the first half was quite good, when he created the space for Finucane I think it was? Nothing came of it but I definitely thought he could have tried that out run a few more times with the extra space he and Wighton got in the second half.

But yeah, he was ok. Off the pace and a bit too meek on debut and improved noticeably second half. Also don't think he's the right halfback for a side with Teddy hogging at the back, at Parra he has Gutho making the same amount of try assists as him, which Teddy has failed to produce this year. With Turbo or Latrell there I think he'd look much better.

He's probably got a handful of solid Origin games in him if Cleary goes down a few times, but unless you had the right 6 and 1 there you'd be looking elsewhere for a full series halfback. And tbh I'm ok with that as an Eels fan, he's a very good club halfback.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many 6 agains did it end up being? Seemed to be nearly every set! And ref bottled a sin binning after warning NSW.

Someone2

Juniors
Moses > Cleary

Took Cleary 7games to get TA
Moses has 2 in 1game

Moses got hit hard in tackles but got straight up and played tough didn’t stay down like a cat like Cleary does

stryker

First Grade
The loss bothers me more than it should. If you gave the Qld 2008-10 team 3 games in a series in NSW you know they would give an arm and a leg for a clean sweep on NSW soil. That should have been our motivation.

Freddy again trying to be too cute with his selections. Our outside backs are incredible, just pick a set of halves who can get them early ball, kick well and not overplay their hand (Adam Reynolds to a T). He completely butchered his game management too, burning all his interchanges with 10 to go, and the decision to take the penalty goal was moronic. Happy to win the series, but we let Qld get more out of that series than they should have (same with 2020 & 2019).
You are 100% right.
This series has been embarrassing for QLD. We have been thoroughly outplayed by a superior team of young players, who will be together for 6+ years into the future.
That said, the win last night and the fact we have some good talent to add to this team in Grant, Fifita and possibly Walker and Walsh next year leaves me somewhat optimistic.
NSW missed an opportunity to head f**k QLD rugby league last night.

Munted

Bench
How many 6 agains did it end up being? Seemed to be nearly every set! And ref bottled a sin binning after warning NSW.
I think it was 13 in the first half, and f**k all in the second.
Sutton changes the way he officiated as the game goes on.

Latest posts