What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 QF 1 Fri - Melbourne 40-12 Manly @ Sunshine Coast

Finals Week 1: Melbourne v Manly

• Melbourne Storm

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grapple

Bench
I swear Manly have a clone factory of similar players. They definitely have a type at least.

You have easily injured weird looking fullback freaks - Tommy T and Brett Stewart,
Hard working, creative but sometime lazy back rowers - Jake T and Glenn Stewart,
Quiet, handsome, hard running backs who can score a lot and kick a goal or two - Garrick , Michael Robertson, O'Connor , Wolfman.
Wee little creative halfbacks - Toovey and Orford
Talented 5/8's with similar names - Cliffy Lyons and Jamie Lyon
Hard hitting braided boofheads - Matai, Taupau and Taufua,
Club legends - Steve Menzies and Brad Parker.

Something to think about. Does this has anything to with this game? Not really.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
The problem Manly has here is controlling Melbourne's forward pack. They have rotated through so many big units of late. They are all fit and rested. And then you have the class at hooker and also fullback. The forwards have not been all on together in weeks. And I reckon this could cause a few headaches for them defensively.

Assuming Munster (probably replaced by Hynes) and JAC are out, there may be some extra room to move out wide. Pap and Olam look frustrated with the winger a few times last week. Olam threw him a ridiculous pass and looked dirty at him. And prior to that he threw a dumb pass to Pap that was knocked on. He got similar looks from Pap. It's simply not working down that side.

Manly needs to keep a close eye on Olam. He caused them a lot of headaches in the last match. Particularly once Grant was on. I think the markers will need to keep a close eye on dummy half runs, particularly close to the line and in the middle further up field.

The final piece of the pie is possession. In the last game Manly threw away way too much possession and field position. They will get torched royally if they continue to do that. I think if Manly get more than 50% of the ball, they are in with a huge shot. I'd be looking to attack Melbourne with high balls to Saab and backline movements on the other side. The forward pack has a huge task to allow them to earn the right to do that.

Should be a great game. Melbourne obviously deserved favourites.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Here's the hot tip: Manly will knock off Melbourne. Red hot form. The Storm have been less than spectacular recent weeks, injury concerns. Turbo in career best form. I can see Manly going all the way.
Angry Work GIF

gerg

Juniors
I think it depends on the ref. Manly are absolutely zero chance if Cummins gets this game. Cummins' rucks are too slow and that nullifies Turbos impact.

GongPanther

Referee
It's O.K. to fist beat sides that are nowhere near the class of three of the other top 4. But now it is the business end of the comp, and the big boppers have strolled into town.

Manly will have a second chance, but that is were it ends. Melbourne 34-18.

big hit!

Bench
Manly's pack strikes me a bit like Souths - have been able to do enough against inferior sides to let their stars shine, but suspect when the blow torch is applied, i.e., vs Penrith and Melbourne.

Backs are only as good as the platform laid by their forwards.

This is the test! A bit like Souths during their 10-game winning run, the Sea Eagles haven't played many of the big teams in their trot since mid-April. It's actually astounding that they've only played Melbourne, Souths, Roosters just once this season. Got the Roosters in rd 1, Souths rd 2, and the first penrith encounter in rd 4 where Manly were clearly inferior and Trbo-less. Easily accounted for Parra and all the teams below them. Were beaten by Penrith and Melbourne and those games played out in a similar way to Penrith/Melbourne v Souths - they just didn't roll over the way Souths did.

Last edited:

Chippy73

Bench
Both brought in from elsewhere.
It's O.K. to fist beat sides that are nowhere near the class of three of the other top 4. But now it is the business end of the comp, and the big boppers have strolled into town.

Manly will have a second chance, but that is were it ends. Melbourne 34-18.
Self satisfied Penrith fan pontifications on LU are starting to make me actively disfavour the footy team.....a club I've been ambivalent about for going on 40 years.

In fact I might even cheer the Storm in another GF between the two...at least the Storm fans on here aren't unbearably smug.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
Panther fans on LU are really making me start to actively dislike the footy team.....a club I've been ambivalent about for going on 40 years.

In fact I might even cheer the Storm in another GF between the two...at least the Storm fans on here aren't unbearably smug.
For pointing out that Lyons and Lyon originated elsewhere and were poached by the silvertails? Really? Maybe you need to change to a different brand of tampons.

And guess what. We hate your team too. Borrowed that from Manly fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shaping up as the game of the first finals round. Manly are a bit of a one trick pony and no doubt Bellamy would have been working the middle hard this week to shut Turbo down. Munster should be back and Storm big men are fresh. I don't think Storm will get it all their own way but expect a Melbourne victory by at least 12.

Chippy73

Bench
For pointing out that Lyons and Lyon originated elsewhere and were poached by the silvertails? Really? Maybe you need to change to a different brand of tampons.

And guess what. We hate your team too. Borrowed that from Manly fans.
You are exhibit A in Penrith narks.

Your club has been mediocre for over 50 years with occasional very brief flashes at the top, that's the brutal truth.

t-ba

Post Whore
What I like about Killer and Cliffy is that they are dual premiership winners with Manly.

Pretty nice to have some dual premiership winning club legends.

I reckon the Storm are pretty happy with their collection of multi-premiership winning club legends as well!

soc123_au

Staff member
You are exhibit A in Penrith narks.

Your club has been mediocre for over 50 years with occasional very brief flashes at the top, that's the brutal truth.
Thanks scoop. As annoying as some of our fans are the mediocrity over the last 50 odd years explains the over exuberance somewhat.

soc123_au

Staff member
What I like about Killer and Cliffy is that they are dual premiership winners with Manly.

Pretty nice to have some dual premiership winning club legends.

I reckon the Storm are pretty happy with their collection of multi-premiership winning club legends as well!
)-:

Maybe in a few years. Imagine the smug cloud then. The self satisfied fart of success. Better than napalm.

Chippy73

Bench
Thanks scoop. As annoying as some of our fans are the mediocrity over the last 50 odd years explains the over exuberance somewhat.
Yeh ok fair enough....funny thing is (pre lockdown) I spend a fair amount of work time in Penrith, more then I am on the Northern Beaches. I like the folks I meet in Penrith generally, salt of the earth working class.

soc123_au

Staff member
Yeh ok fair enough....funny thing is (pre lockdown) I spend a fair amount of work time in Penrith, more then I am on the Northern Beaches. I like the folks I meet in Penrith generally, salt of the earth working class.
Most of us are alright. We have our share of mouth breathers like every other club though. They just havent had much of a platform until recently. God help the world had the internet existed in 1991, I would have carried on like a deadset f**kwit. Ha ha.

Latest posts