What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 R4 Good Fri - Melbourne 40-6 Brisbane @ AAMI

Round 4: Melbourne v Brisbane

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The_Frog

First Grade
Exactly every (most) teams go through the cycle where they are at the bottom for a few seasons, this is our turn
Broncos have got so much going for them, it must have taken a lot of appalling management decisions to bring about the current situation. Still, the things going for them won't just go away and they've still got access to truckloads of junior talent, so I'm sure they won't be at the bottom for long.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Broncos finally won a game and coach drops the scrum half lol
poor Kevvie, he doesn’t look like he’s enjoying his new job.

The_Frog

First Grade
I know you just want to make your typical Panthers= good post
We've got lucky with the current crop, just as the Raiders did (and we did too to some extent) in the late 80s and Parramatta did in the late 70's. There is a chance you can buy a champion team on the market, but its an outside chance and clubs like the Dogs are having to pay overs.

blaza88z

Coach
Well I thought 50 was well and truly on the card tonight

Just not good enough and the troubling thing is we weren't good enough in the basics of what it takes to be a first grader in the NRL, kick chase and the like

Perth Red

Post Whore
Broncos have got so much going for them, it must have taken a lot of appalling management decisions to bring about the current situation. Still, the things going for them won't just go away and they've still got access to truckloads of junior talent, so I'm sure they won't be at the bottom for long.

they need to employ some decent scouts and contract negotiators! The amount of jnr talent they haven’t signed in last 5 years from the queensland system must be staggering. How sht they going to get when they’ve got another club on their doorstep looking for the same kids?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
We've got lucky with the current crop, just as the Raiders did in the late 80s and Parramatta did in the late 70's. There is a chance you can buy a champion team on the market, but its an outside chance and clubs like the Dogs are having to pay overs.

I don't think its necessarily about buying a comp. You are 100% right there that teams like the Dogs will have to pay overs.

But the only way out of the hole they are in is to identify talent like Burton and bring him in. We started turning it around with Sisa Waqa lol because it showed the world that we weren't a complete basket case and could land a signing.

Its just going to take a good few years for the dogs to get going in the right direction and they have to hope like hell that Burton kicks on like he could. Like I said we took the same risk with Tapine and at times it looked like it was a massive misfire because he was an injury prone loose unit but since 2018 or so its been paying off big time.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
they need to employ some decent scouts and contract negotiators! The amount of jnr talent they haven’t signed in last 5 years from the queensland system must be staggering. How sht they going to get when they’ve got another club on their doorstep looking for the same kids?

Brisbane have struggled since other teams (especially melbourne) have thought "hmmmmm why dont we just sign good young players from SE queensland and jam them into our youth systems and not just leave them all for the broncos"

Munted

Bench
Brisbane have struggled since other teams (especially melbourne) have thought "hmmmmm why dont we just sign good young players from SE queensland and jam them into our youth systems and not just leave them all for the broncos"
That's right... Why should Brisbane hey the pick of the jnrs, sponsors etc being a one team region.

Reflector

Juniors
fcWPyiw.gif

Kevvie's gotta have his Ghostbusters lunchbox somewhere....

Someguy

First Grade
Its about talent identification not junior development per se. Melbourne have been consistently good throughout the NRL era and have very little junior development at all but outstanding talent identification

It’s really an oddity that team can be so successful when they have really only bought 1 established first grader in the last decade. Talent identification is a factor but I also feel some teams won’t bite the bullet and bench a high paid player in order to develop a player with better potential.

Hughes is classic example, has been around for years and barely got a run in first grade, now a grand final winning halfback.

That said just because that formula has worked, they would be wrong to not adapt to the situation they face. Storm really lacking depth in 2nd row and outside backs, really think they need to buy some players to stay competitive.

Saxon

Bench
Let me think. Smith, Slater, Cronk all passed on by the Broncos. Brisbane didn't offer Smith a contract until after Melbourne had him locked up, Slater was "too small" and Cronk was never considered.

Reflector

Juniors
I hope tonight isn't the last time this year Paps gapes a team from Qld with maroon on their jerseys...