What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Rabbits20

Immortal
Our strongest 21 as it stands right then depth etc...

Latrell
AJ
Campbell
Milne
Paulo
Cody
Ta’affe
Nicholls
Cook
Tatola
Keaon
Arrow
Murray

Milford
Tom
Host
Sele

Knight
Mansour
Havili
Ilias

Followed by

Mamozelos
Chee Kam
Moale
Kalokalo
Cartwright
Bijorac

Looks ok for forwards but my concern lies in the backs we are short there no doubt about it and with how we go without Reyno concerns me too.

Around origin time too I don’t at this stage see us having the solid depth like this year just gone so I think we could struggle during the origin period!

Trell won’t be back til round 3 this would be my team below for round 1: I’d start Ta’affe at halfback and not muck him around:

Milford
AJ
Campbell
Milne
Paulo
Cody
Ta’affe
Nicholls
Cook
Tatola
Keaon
Arrow
Murray

Sele
Tom
Host
Knight

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs extend contract of Alex Johnston Until End of Season 2025: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ct-of-alex-johnston-until-end-of-season-2025/

Wonderful, wonderful news for both AJ and the club. Stoked to see this! Kind of unexpected as he still had a long while to run on his exsisting contract but it's great to see him so keen to extend his stay.

Will hopefully be a Souths legend by the end of this contract if he's not already. Will most likely break all kinds of records!! Jeez these are going to be special days.

Congrats AJ and well done Souths!

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

New Souths coach Jason Demetriou opens up on challenge he will put to Anthony Milford

Anthony Milford has only ever played two games as a starting halfback in nine NRL seasons.

But if South Sydney’s new recruit is going to make the starting team next season, it will be by beating young guns Blake Taaffe and Lachlan Ilias in the race to wear Adam Reynolds’ vacated No.7 jumper.

That is the message coming straight from new coach Jason Demetriou, who has revealed he is not considering switching star five-eighth Cody Walker from his preferred position.

There has been some speculation that the Rabbitohs may move Walker to halfback so he can take control of the team in the absence of Brisbane-bound Reynolds.

Milford has never been that organising-type half and has only played two of his 193 NRL games in the No.7 jumper, while Walker played plenty of halfback before his arrival at Redfern and most think he could probably adapt more easily.

But questioned if that was an option, Demetriou was clear: “Cody will wear the six. His role won’t change. He will stay where he is.”

It comes with the former Bronco due to face Brisbane Magistrates Court on Wednesday on charges of an alleged assault back in September.

Demetriou said he was looking forward to helping Milford resurrect his career after the Broncos cut him loose and he expects the 27-year-old not be content with playing off the bench.

“First and foremost it is about getting him here and happy and pushing for a starting spot, I am sure that is what he wants,” Demetriou said.

But he knows he has got a bit of work to do to get that.

“We have good options with Milford, Ilias and Taaffe as well. So they are things that we will explore during the pre-season. It is a good problem to have.”

Asked if Milford was capable of playing that traditional halfback role, Demetriou explained: “I think it is just up to us to find what suits Milford best and how those partnerships work and then playing a style that suits it.

“It is not a matter of him coming in and trying to be an Adam Reynolds and that is the same for Lachie.

“Pre-season will give us a chance to have a look at them both and work in with Cody and Cookie and see what works best.”

That comment leads to an assumption Taaffe will be taking up the Benji Marshall vacated utility role off the bench.

Taaffe had an extraordinary end to the season after coming in to cover for the suspended Latrell Mitchell at fullback.

But Taaffe was the halfback in the Rabbitohs’ premiership winning Jersey Flegg team a couple of years back, while Ilias got a taste of the top grade this year and showed he is a player with considerable potential with a good kicking game.

But Demetriou said limited football over the past two seasons due to Covid puts Taaffe and Ilias in a tough position.

Demetriou said the one thing he doesn’t want to do is cruel the youngster’s long-term NRL careers by making either of them a quick fix.

“The downside of those guys coming through, Dean Hawkins is another one on our books next year, they haven’t had much footy over the last two years,” Demetriou said.

“So this next pre-season is going to be important to them and the type of things we do on the training field will be important as well.

But it is a big ask for young halfbacks.

“What I have noticed over the last few years is some young halfbacks have come in too soon, and I am committed to Lachie and Taaffe having a career at the Rabbitohs, not just playing a few first grade games.”

Meanwhile, Demetriou congratulated Alex Johnston on securing his new deal that will keep the local junior at the club until at least the end of the 2025 season.

Johnston, 26, has played 166 matches since debuting in 2014.

In that period he has scored 136 tries, putting him second on the Bunnies’ all-time tryscorers list behind Nathan Merritt on 146.

But this new deal also gives Johnston a realistic chance of eventually running down the all-time try scoring champion Ken Irvine who had 212 career tries from 236 games.

Johnston has been the competition’s leading try scorer for the last two seasons, adding 30 more to his tally this year.

“It is outstanding news. He has the potential to be the all-time leading try scorer and a one club player,” Demetriou said.

“And he brings so much to the group that people don’t see as well. He is quite a character. He brings a lot of enjoyment and fun off the field.

“But more so he is a very experienced winger who has the ability to play fullback which he has shown in the past.

“Ultimately it is just good to have him.”

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Lol, you're a regular bundle of joy aren't you?

So you wouldn't have Pappy at fullback and Mitchell in the centres if they were both at souths?
Why do you keep making proposals to put Latrell in the centres?

It's not just here with this hypothetical and Papenhuyzen, every discussion that is raised about filing a hole in the centres, you are proposing moving Latrell there.

It's fantasy stuff and never going to happen.

southsport

First Grade
Why do you keep making proposals to put Latrell in the centres?

It's not just here with this hypothetical and Papenhuyzen, every discussion that is raised about filing a hole in the centres, you are proposing moving Latrell there.

It's fantasy stuff and never going to happen.
I'm not proposing anything, that will be JD's decision but atm we have a hole in the centres that needs to be filled and looking at possible options that JD has.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Walker
Scott
Chambers

Who else we definitely need centres
I can’t see Dylan leaving Manly and I don’t want Scott or Chambers.

Seperate to this I don’t think we have much cap spare for 2022 and don‘t wanna rush into our last 2-3 spots in our top 30.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I'm not proposing anything, that will be JD's decision but atm we have a hole in the centres that needs to be filled and looking at possible options that JD has.
Nah, that's just weasel words.

Every time the subject is touched upon, you propose moving Latrell to centre. You always leave an out for yourself by sentences exactly like what you got here above, but you are always proposing it. You're not the only one, but you are the most regular one.

It's never going to happen.

Reason 1: It was always ordained by the Souths management that Latrell would be Greg Inglis' successor. Ever since the first game against the Rorters that they went up against each other. They just had to get him to the club. Now that Latrell is here, why would they suddenly change their thought process?

Reason 2: Just because you got a hole in one spot, you don't move one of your best players out of the spot he plays his best footy to cover that hole. It's a sure fire way to failure for a team.

Reason 3: Specifically in this case, it would be an absolute waste to force Latrell to play on one side only, when he can do everything that he would on one side, he can do on both sides. And he's proved that this season. Why would we want to reduce our attacking threat to a team forced to cover the whole field, and make the cover one side only? Fullback is a much more important role than centre.

Reason 4: Move Latrell to centre and he will quit when his current contract is up. Maybe even before. And there'd be 13 other teams that would offer whatever it takes to get him.

So let's just end this discussion once and for all because, while he is here and running on the field, he will never be shifted out of fullback to cover a gap at centre.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Demetriou confident he can end the curse of the supercoach
Christian Nicolussi
source Daily Telegraph
October 17, 2021 — 5.00am

New South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou spent five years serving his apprenticeship under Wayne Bennett and is confident he will not suffer the same fate as Ivan Henjak, Steve Price, Rick Stone and Anthony Seibold, who all struggled to succeed the supercoach.

Demetriou also ended the Souths No.1 debate for next year by declaring Latrell Mitchell – not Blake Taaffe – would be the fullback once he returned from suspension.

As Bennett generated plenty of headlines north of the border during the week – he will be formally appointed head coach of new franchise Redcliffe in the coming days – Demetriou quietly slipped back into Sydney to start some planning for his own new role as the Rabbitohs head coach.

Demetriou, a 45-year-old father of three daughters who quotes NFL legend Bill Belichick and once famously scored a hat-trick playing for Canada against Japan, cannot wait to take charge of the grand finalists.

Souths supremo Nick Pappas told the Herald during grand final week the club was happy to sign Bennett, but it was even more important a succession plan was in place.

“We weren’t going to bring Wayne unless Jason came as well,” “Pappas said.

Henjak, Price and Stone failed to reach 60 NRL games in charge at Brisbane, St George Illawarra and Newcastle respectively when following Bennett, while Seibold won just 14 of 40 games at the helm of the Broncos after the explosive and messy takeover from Bennett at the end of 2018.

Demetriou, however, has had a five-year apprenticeship under the 71-year-old, and has often been publicly praised by Bennett for the key role he has played in making them an NRL powerhouse.

“Everyone’s circumstances are different,” Demetriou told The Sun-Herald. “You guys can talk about that. It’s irrelevant to me. I do know nobody has transitioned from Wayne the way I have, so it’s an entirely new narrative.

“I’m hoping the things that make me successful as a head coach are the things that drew me to go and work with Wayne in the first place.

“He’s got a real care for his players on and off the field, and that care continues whether he’s coaching them or he’s not. I see similarities with me in that regard.

“It was Bill Belichick who said, ‘Nobody cares what you know until they know how much you care’. That sums up Wayne and all the good coaches.

“You often hear people and the players talk about [Roosters coach] Trent Robinson and [Storm coach] Craig Bellamy – they often talk about them as people first before they talk about them as coaches – and that’s indicative of any great leader.

“You don’t know if you’re ready until you know. We’ll soon find out. What I do know is I’ve had the pathway to give me the best opportunity to be successful.”

Demetriou was an assistant to Paul Green when North Queensland won the 2015 NRL title and also spent time working under Paul McGregor with the Dragons. The early coaching years featured successful stints in England as well as Northern Pride in Queensland.

Losing Mitchell for the final round of the season and then the three finals left plenty of Souths fans wondering if the pin-up would have made a difference in the grand final loss to Penrith. The penalty for the high shot on Joey Manu means Mitchell will also miss the opening two rounds of next year.

The emergence of Taaffe, who has admitted he is most comfortable at fullback, will spark debate about where to play Mitchell. He also happens to be a representative centre and could even switch to five-eighth and play alongside good mate Cody Walker.

I see Latrell as an outstanding footballer who has brought so much to the club on and off the field, and I can’t wait to be his head coach,” Demetriou said. “He can play wherever he wants to play.

“But Latrell will be our fullback when he’s back [from suspension]. He’s got a huge presence at our club that will only grow the next couple of years.”

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Demetriou confident he can end the curse of the supercoach
Christian Nicolussi
source Daily Telegraph
October 17, 2021 — 5.00am

New South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou spent five years serving his apprenticeship under Wayne Bennett and is confident he will not suffer the same fate as Ivan Henjak, Steve Price, Rick Stone and Anthony Seibold, who all struggled to succeed the supercoach.

Demetriou also ended the Souths No.1 debate for next year by declaring Latrell Mitchell – not Blake Taaffe – would be the fullback once he returned from suspension.

As Bennett generated plenty of headlines north of the border during the week – he will be formally appointed head coach of new franchise Redcliffe in the coming days – Demetriou quietly slipped back into Sydney to start some planning for his own new role as the Rabbitohs head coach.

Demetriou, a 45-year-old father of three daughters who quotes NFL legend Bill Belichick and once famously scored a hat-trick playing for Canada against Japan, cannot wait to take charge of the grand finalists.

Souths supremo Nick Pappas told the Herald during grand final week the club was happy to sign Bennett, but it was even more important a succession plan was in place.

“We weren’t going to bring Wayne unless Jason came as well,” “Pappas said.

Henjak, Price and Stone failed to reach 60 NRL games in charge at Brisbane, St George Illawarra and Newcastle respectively when following Bennett, while Seibold won just 14 of 40 games at the helm of the Broncos after the explosive and messy takeover from Bennett at the end of 2018.

Demetriou, however, has had a five-year apprenticeship under the 71-year-old, and has often been publicly praised by Bennett for the key role he has played in making them an NRL powerhouse.

“Everyone’s circumstances are different,” Demetriou told The Sun-Herald. “You guys can talk about that. It’s irrelevant to me. I do know nobody has transitioned from Wayne the way I have, so it’s an entirely new narrative.

“I’m hoping the things that make me successful as a head coach are the things that drew me to go and work with Wayne in the first place.

“He’s got a real care for his players on and off the field, and that care continues whether he’s coaching them or he’s not. I see similarities with me in that regard.

“It was Bill Belichick who said, ‘Nobody cares what you know until they know how much you care’. That sums up Wayne and all the good coaches.

“You often hear people and the players talk about [Roosters coach] Trent Robinson and [Storm coach] Craig Bellamy – they often talk about them as people first before they talk about them as coaches – and that’s indicative of any great leader.

“You don’t know if you’re ready until you know. We’ll soon find out. What I do know is I’ve had the pathway to give me the best opportunity to be successful.”

Demetriou was an assistant to Paul Green when North Queensland won the 2015 NRL title and also spent time working under Paul McGregor with the Dragons. The early coaching years featured successful stints in England as well as Northern Pride in Queensland.

Losing Mitchell for the final round of the season and then the three finals left plenty of Souths fans wondering if the pin-up would have made a difference in the grand final loss to Penrith. The penalty for the high shot on Joey Manu means Mitchell will also miss the opening two rounds of next year.

The emergence of Taaffe, who has admitted he is most comfortable at fullback, will spark debate about where to play Mitchell. He also happens to be a representative centre and could even switch to five-eighth and play alongside good mate Cody Walker.

I see Latrell as an outstanding footballer who has brought so much to the club on and off the field, and I can’t wait to be his head coach,” Demetriou said. “He can play wherever he wants to play.

“But Latrell will be our fullback when he’s back [from suspension]. He’s got a huge presence at our club that will only grow the next couple of years.”
Thank you.

I mean, anyone who wants to debate the logic in this needs to find another club to support.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Thank you.

I mean, anyone who wants to debate the logic in this needs to find another club to support.
To be fair to Southy mate I’ve seen lots of Souths diehards over social media say similar things.

Even if we fully disagree Southy is still very passionate about Souths and can have his view no matter whether we think it’s bang on or oh so wrong....

We do have weaknesses depth wise as things stand though in the backs especially centre. I am sure everyone can see that.

I have spoken with Southy on the phone this year too he’s a very nice bloke could talk about Souths for hours on end just like me.

Latest posts