What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RLWC (D) Wk1 - TON 24-18 PNG @ St Helens

Wizardman

First Grade
I have deadset been behind PNG more than I have for the Tigers this year!!!! Our game is so f**king cruel!!! Tonga are so undeserving. Talent over effort this morning....which is sad. They have left 12 extra points at the ground this morning.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It's crazy how when play breaks down like that and it becomes ad lib, rugby league players seem to be uniformly really good at finding space on attack but uniformly really bad at numbering up properly on defence

Northern

Juniors
Great game. Very tough on the corner post no try try. Great performance by PNG. Rue the missed chances. Going to enjoy watching their next few games!

Harrigan

Juniors
Could watch that game twice over.

Feel for the Kumuls but they left at least 12 points out there so were their own worst enemies. Cruel way to lose too with a scappy adlib try like that as well. Theyve built some chemistry over the past few years though and assuming they win the games they should, will give England a real test in the quarters.

Wizardman

First Grade
It's crazy how when play breaks down like that and it becomes ad lib, rugby league players seem to be uniformly really good at finding space on attack but uniformly really bad at numbering up properly on defence
Yep...ad-lib play though like that though is very hard hard to defend......but ad-lib in its nature relies on a LOT of luck.

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
It's like defenders momentarily lose their minds and start bum-rushing the ball.

taste2taste

Juniors
For those that know the draw, assuming all results go to plan Tonga will face Samoa in the quarters

But who will PNG play ?

taste2taste

Juniors
For those that saw the full game ( I only saw the crappy highlights they put on YouTube ) how did Tonga look ? Will they be able to put up a fight against England in the semis ? Or will they suffer the same fate as Samoa?

Matua

Bench
Sheesh, Tonga are definitely considered a top team these days - all the marginal calls went their way.

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
For those that saw the full game ( I only saw the crappy highlights they put on YouTube ) how did Tonga look ? Will they be able to put up a fight against England in the semis ? Or will they suffer the same fate as Samoa?
They weren't great but I think they're ahead of Samoa. The hooker position and Lolohea are a big worry, but Katoa was solid and can only improve, and Koula looked great aside from one error. Plus they have Taumalolo. They'll improve as the tournament goes on