What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

possm

Coach
With Aitken going, I was curious to see if I could "balance out" the recruitment gains and losses over the past four seasons. Below is the best 13 that i could come up with of gains VS losses since the end of 2016 season to end of 2020. Excludes retirements

Gains
1. Nene
2. Pereira
3. Maranta
4. Williame
5. Rava
6. Norman
7. Hunt
13. Merrin
12. Fuimaono
11. Tariq
10. Vaughan
9. McInnes
8. Kerr

Losses
1. Mann
2. Herbert
3. Dugan
4. Aitken
5. Garrick
6. Widdop
7. Benji
13. Leilua
12. Thompson
11. Frizell
10. Ah Mau
9. Robson
8. Packer

With the exception of McInnes and Vaughan and, to a much lesser extent Hunt and Tariq, it's obvious to me that recruitment has failed to replace quality lost with anything near the same level of quality. And, preaching to the converted i know, but it's also obvious there's been a chronic under-investment in the outside backs. McGregor and Millward are a cancer on this club.
Good post! I believe both Mary and Millward are equally responsiible for this mess and so, they both should be shown the door by the CEO.

possm

Coach
What's one go to do with the other?
I believe Vaughan is tired of carrying the weight of a disinterested forward pack. Recruiting pangai jr would lighten the load. And with Mary and possibly Millward moving on, there will be a fresh start and a fresh way of doing things.

getsmarty

Immortal
With Aitken going, I was curious to see if I could "balance out" the recruitment gains and losses over the past four seasons. Below is the best 13 that i could come up with of gains VS losses since the end of 2016 season to end of 2020. Excludes retirements

Gains
1. Nene
2. Pereira
3. Maranta
4. Williame
5. Rava
6. Norman
7. Hunt
13. Merrin
12. Fuimaono
11. Tariq
10. Vaughan
9. McInnes
8. Kerr

Losses
1. Mann
2. Herbert
3. Dugan
4. Aitken
5. Garrick
6. Widdop
7. Benji
13. Leilua
12. Thompson
11. Frizell
10. Ah Mau
9. Robson
8. Packer

With the exception of McInnes and Vaughan and, to a much lesser extent Hunt and Tariq, it's obvious to me that recruitment has failed to replace quality lost with anything near the same level of quality. And, preaching to the converted i know, but it's also obvious there's been a chronic under-investment in the outside backs. McGregor and Millward are a cancer on this club.

Not entirely correct...You would need to include guys like Lomax/sullivan etc..who had multiple clubs chasing them and we retained them....How ...is almost a miracle....Many of the losses and poor signings are directly on the coach...eg ..Norman/Maranta/merrin/ etc...all wanted by coach...same could be said for the losses..without going into detail..probably 50% of the losses are a direct result of the current coach...and then add guys like Suli and Doueihi who were offered good money but rejected the offer to stay for less elsewhere....

That being said, put a broom through the entire joint...........I'd just keep Flanno and shepherd...that's it.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Not entirely correct...You would need to include guys like Lomax/sullivan etc..who had multiple clubs chasing them and we retained them....How ...is almost a miracle....Many of the losses and poor signings are directly on the coach...eg ..Norman/Maranta/merrin/ etc...all wanted by coach...same could be said for the losses..without going into detail..probably 50% of the losses are a direct result of the current coach...and then add guys like Suli and Doueihi who were offered good money but rejected the offer to stay for less elsewhere....

That being said, put a broom through the entire joint...........I'd just keep Flanno and shepherd...that's it.

Agree with most of that GS- however, there have been multiple journos such as Rothfield, Kent and co who maintain that SGI is unlike most other clubs in that Millward as Director of Recruitment and Pathways has final say over who we recruit and how much we pay. I'm sure you and I and plenty of other posters would have told Millward if we had the chance that Norman, for one, was a poor buy- at any price- but $850K was ridiculous- and more than the far superior Widdop was being paid.

If Egghead was intimidating him into making a signing like Norman, then Millward should've resigned on principle rather than acting so irresponsibly.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I have a great deal more respect for Millward than Mc Gregor. I believe that our NRL Roster would have been a lot worse if Mc Gregor had sole contol of it. I believe that Millward has abetter idea of what is required than Mc Gregor. The Red V podcast cites examples of Timm and Wakeman being sound players that Mc Gregor refused to use. The current coach also seems to rate Aitken ahead of Lomax. I doubt that Clune, Dufty, Ford, Host, Kerr, Lomax, Sailor and Williame would ever be in the team if it were not for the persistence of Flanagan and Millward.

Happy to run with our juniors for our backline

Certainly no worse than the majority of journeyman we have signed over the past few years.

Don’t know where we will find a couple of hard running durable front rowers.

May be time to go shopping in England.

Young Blacker will hopefully be given a chance in 2021.

Vaughan
Kerr
Blacker
2 Englishmen
The best of our juniors

Cut Korbin Sims and Merrin asap as they offer nothing.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Happy to run with our juniors for our backline

Certainly no worse than the majority of journeyman we have signed over the past few years.

Don’t know where we will find a couple of hard running durable front rowers.

May be time to go shopping in England.

Young Blacker will hopefully be given a chance in 2021.

Vaughan
Kerr
Blacker
2 Englishmen
The best of our juniors

Cut Korbin Sims and Merrin asap as they offer nothing.
Thought Blacker would have made the side against Parra. We have no size nothing.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I believe that we should avoid Bird who would be another Norman. Welch would give us some size. I would let Saab go as he is not fast or rugged enough and has poor hands. I believe that Mc Innes and Vaughan will want out if the forwards are not bolstered. We need to appoint a coach who has at least a 55% winning record. We could throw a spanner in to the weeks and offer the coach's job to Demetriou from 2021 a year ahead of the offer he has from Souths. I believe that Ryan Webb was a good appoitment as he has at least sorted out the coaching fiasco. As I understand it the St, George Directors on the Joint Venture Board are Black, Doust, Piggott and Young. I would put Coyne and Nightingale on the Board to replace Black and Piggott who have no football acumen. Despite citicism of Doust who secured Bennett and rhe 2010 Premiership and Young who was a 1977 and 1979 Premiership
Winner and involved with the 2010 Premiership
Win. I doubt that the WIN Board Directors have any football acumen. As far as a future team goes I would probably suggest the following nominations:-
Dufty
Ramsey
Williame
Lomax
Ravalawa
Sailor
Clune
Mc Innes
Tariq Sims
Ford
Vaughan
Hunt
Kerr
Bench:
Lawrie
Blacker
Host
Gale

As good as de Belin is its time to make a clean break and move on. My signing targets to replace the following would be:

Graham: Eisenhuth (Tigers) preferably or Tamou (Panthers). Others: Soliola (Raiders) J Saifiti (Knights), Rudolph (Sharks)
JDB: May (Panthers), Bird (Broncos, with wage assistance from them), Asiata (Cows)
Frizzell: Crichton (Easts) or Raymond Faitala Mariner
Norman: Flanagan (Easts) or Cust (Manly),
Other outside backs (Lafai, Aitken, Pereira): Johnston (Souths), Hiku (Warriors), Oates (Broncos), Herbert (Warriors), Morris’s (Easts)

boardlumps62

Juniors
Watching Melbourne v Chooks Christian Welch looks good grab him there are our Props
Vaughn, Webb, Welch, Ellis and Blacker.
Do we need another backup go find a young firey Islander or two.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Looking for a good centre one that may be near the end of his career but good enough to give a two year deal to remembering we have the young Fengai Boys coming thru. Replacement for Aitken.

Hynes seems decent but still not seen much of him. And they have bought Brenko Lee, Leutele as well thus year. Not a massive show of faith in him. Hiku could hold down a centre spot for a season or two.

dragon thomo

Juniors
With all due respect Possm I would not care if Vauhen left or stayed. I believe he is inconsistent.
Welch would be a good start then maybe Hipgrave Sorenson.
There maybe a few more quality players on the market with new coaches ,making changes to their squads.