What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

getsmarty

Immortal
I thought it was telling that Hunt was dropped for game 3 & Qld improved significantly. Likely end of his rep career. Not unlike our round 20 game against Melbourne we were far more fluid with McInnes at 9, Sullivan at 6 & Clune at 7.

It’s a tough call, 4 players for 2 spots. Sullivan & Clune are obviously the future so I’d start with those 2, drop Norman to the reggies & use Hunt as a utility 14.

I see your point..BUT...Sullivan may not be ready yet....Norman according to whispers is the one we allegedly tried to offload...Hunt is at the club until the end of 23 ?

Hunt being dropped for Grant was a masterstroke By Bennett...yet you are replacing a real hooker with a makeshift hooker.

All I am saying is that don't be surprised if Griffin starts with Hunt.

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

2021 squad: Jack Bird (2022), Eddie Blacker (2021), Adam Clune (2022), Jack de Belin (2021), Matt Dufty (2021), Kaide Ellis (2021), Poasa Faamausili (2022), Jackson Ford (2022), Tyrell Fuimaono (2021), Ben Hunt (2022, PO 23), Josh Kerr (2023), Blake Lawrie (2022), Zac Lomax (2025), Cameron McInnes (2021), Trent Merrin (2021), Corey Norman (2021), Jordan Pereira (2021), Mikaele Ravalawa (2023), Jason Saab (2022), Tariq Sims (2022), Paul Vaughan (2021, PO 22), Brayden Wiliame (2021),

2021 gains: Poasa Faamausili (Roosters), Jack Bird (Broncos)

TBC: Billy Brittain (2020)

2021 losses: Jacob Host (Rabbitohs) Tyson Frizell (Knights), Euan Aitken (Warriors), Korbin Sims (Super League), Jacob Host, Tristan Sailor, Joe Lovodua (all unsigned)

Coach: Anthony Griffin (2022)

BLM01

First Grade
I see your point..BUT...Sullivan may not be ready yet....Norman according to whispers is the one we allegedly tried to offload...Hunt is at the club until the end of 23 ?

Hunt being dropped for Grant was a masterstroke By Bennett...yet you are replacing a real hooker with a makeshift hooker.

Correct re Corey
Actually everything you covered is how it will pan out 86
Jayden is not ready to jump into 1st grade fill time physically but he ain’t far off and won’t be shy

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I thought it was telling that Hunt was dropped for game 3 & Qld improved significantly. Likely end of his rep career. Not unlike our round 20 game against Melbourne we were far more fluid with McInnes at 9, Sullivan at 6 & Clune at 7.

It’s a tough call, 4 players for 2 spots. Sullivan & Clune are obviously the future so I’d start with those 2, drop Norman to the reggies & use Hunt as a utility 14.
I was actually surprised they didn’t go wth Harry Grant first up in Game1; great Hooker very intelligent footballer and surprised they went Friend and Hunt ahead of him. Throw in Munster and you’ve got I feel QLD best players in Hunt’s positions (Hunt player 5/8 in G1I). Whilst I appreciate your viewpoint, Origin is still a big step up from playing Melbourne’s reserve grade team and feel that Hunt brings more to the table than Clune at this stage of his career. I am sure Sullivan will develop and ‘hope’ that Clune does, but I still reckon Hunt will be Griffin’s choice in round 1.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Correct re Corey
Actually everything you covered is how it will pan out 86
Jayden is not ready to jump into 1st grade fill time physically but he ain’t far off and won’t be shy

Agree Chief... Griffin will play Sullivan when he is ready for the top grade.

Simon

Juniors
DRAGONS

2021 squad: Jack Bird (2022), Eddie Blacker (2021), Adam Clune (2022), Jack de Belin (2021), Matt Dufty (2021), Kaide Ellis (2021), Poasa Faamausili (2022), Jackson Ford (2022), Tyrell Fuimaono (2021), Ben Hunt (2022, PO 23), Josh Kerr (2023), Blake Lawrie (2022), Zac Lomax (2025), Cameron McInnes (2021), Trent Merrin (2021), Corey Norman (2021), Jordan Pereira (2021), Mikaele Ravalawa (2023), Jason Saab (2022), Tariq Sims (2022), Paul Vaughan (2021, PO 22), Brayden Wiliame (2021),

2021 gains: Poasa Faamausili (Roosters), Jack Bird (Broncos)

TBC: Billy Brittain (2020)

2021 losses: Jacob Host (Rabbitohs) Tyson Frizell (Knights), Euan Aitken (Warriors), Korbin Sims (Super League), Jacob Host, Tristan Sailor, Joe Lovodua (all unsigned)

Coach: Anthony Griffin (2022)

This is Foxsports poor attempt - they have nearly every team wrong when there’s a major article updated almost everyday on NRL.com each time a signing or movement occurs.

Billy Britain is signed for next year

SAP58

Juniors
In today’s Sunday Telegraph it states “Discussions between the Dragons and Cronulla forward Billy Magoulias are ongoing as is Jason Saab’s impending move to Manly”

Maddragon99

Juniors

There are no takers for Norman at any price so unless some sort of miracle occurs he’ll be in the Red V in 2021. I thought the only possibility would have been a like for like swap for Bird given the similar salaries.

Depending on early season results I’m not seeing Norman play a lot of first grade next year, he’d need to significantly lift his game.

Yes I agree Hunt will get the first go at 7 but if his form drops he’s an ideal utility off the bench so Clune can take over

BLM01

First Grade
There are no takers for Norman at any price so unless some sort of miracle occurs he’ll be in the Red V in 2021. I thought the only possibility would have been a like for like swap for Bird given the similar salaries.

Depending on early season results I’m not seeing Norman play a lot of first grade next year, he’d need to significantly lift his game.

Yes I agree Hunt will get the first go at 7 but if his form drops he’s an ideal utility off the bench so Clune can take over
Normans worth has dropped so far that even the Dogs are considering Benji for a depth signing...fed dinkum

getsmarty

Immortal
Panthers star and Blues rookie Stephen Crichton has given no guarantee he will sign with Penrith as he begins crunch talks with the club this week.
Meanwhile the Broncos are looking to offload Joe Ofahengaue to the Tigers or Dragons in a bid to create salary cap room to sign Will Chambers.
“I don’t think Joe Ofahengaue will be in Brisbane next year. I think he will either be at the Tigers or the Dragons,” Read said.

“At the moment the Dragons are pretty firm that it won’t happen, but it just depends on what Brisbane are willing to chip in for the club that Joe goes to.

“Joe is a live player on the player market. He has two years left on his deal. I’d be surprised if he is at Brisbane next year.”

Read on for the latest Transfer Whispers.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/ebdecda39e02f6c05a7d0e04e3b2674f

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons get back on track
Latest News
r0_208_3898_2400_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Revelation: Centre Zac Lomax had a good season in a struggling team and coach Griffin will look to build on this form. Picture: John Veage

New St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin and assistants Peter Gentle and Matthew Elliott took charge of training at WIN Stadium for the first time last week as the Dragons became one of the first teams to commence their preparations for 2021.

St George Illawarra's four losses to begin the season in 2020 wasn't ideal, even with much-improved fullback Matt Dufty and centre Zac Lomax trying to kick start their fortunes, and they were punished by only winning three from their last seven matches, which left them in 12th.

The Red V did give glimpses of their ability and at times had an exciting brand of attack but ultimately poor defence and another below-par season cost Paul McGregor his job as head coach.

This is now old news for coach Anthony Griffin and assistants Peter Gentle and Matthew Elliott who will now look to turn fortunes around.

"It was excellent," Griffin said of his first day with the Dragons players. "I met the full squad on Wednesday after they broke the bubble, but it was good to kick it off and get started."

Now heading into their 100th season, Griffin will focus heavily on defence with the stats showing the Dragons conceded an average of 22.6 points per match last season and 23.4 points per match in 2019.

There will also be changes in the attacking structure with Ben Hunt likely to revert to halfback after spending time in the hooking role this year.

The new coach said there would also be an emphasis on tackle technique at the ruck and how they move together as a group.

"Attack-wise there are some experienced players here in Ben Hunt, Norman and McInnes. Adam Clune had a break-out season and young Jayden Sullivan got his debut, so there is a chance to work with those playmakers and put some stuff in place before next year," he said

New signing Poasa Fa'amausili was in attendance for the first training session under Griffin, but star recruit Jack Bird is still in rehabilitation for the knee injury that sidelined him for the entire 2020 season.

Griffin is also excited about the opportunity to work with the emerging talent in the Dragons ranks.

"I got a chance to see all the young guys who are coming through - Cody Ramsey, Mat and Max Feagais, Jayden Sullivan, Eddie Blacker and a couple of academy guys who trained well like Tyrell Sloan, who played under 18s last year and was a standout," Griffin said.

The Dragons problems were laid bare with the figures showing they ranked sixth for metres gained, but their poor defensive showed they conceded the second most metres-only the last-placed Broncos were worse.

"I want to imprint our new game philosophy and the way we want to play both in attack and defence," Griffin said as his tenure began.

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/7019979/dragons-preparations-begin-for-new-season/

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Sit down with general manager of football Ben Haran

DRAGONS

GM Haran provides further insight into '21 football department
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 25 Nov 2020, 11:39 AM

St George Illawarra general manager of football Ben Haran has provided a deeper insight into the Dragons' 2021 football department structure.

Haran – who has spent the past 11 years at the club in roles such as overseeing the high performance unit, lower grade assistant coach, recruitment and football operations – will head the football department.

Haran previously worked at the Melbourne Storm in a number of community and player development roles alongside experienced rugby league types Luke Ellis and Greg Brentnall. It was in Melbourne also where Haran first established a connection with long-term Storm general manager Frank Ponissi.

"My responsibilities are holistic in my role with the Dragons, across all the departments that help this great club operate," Haran said.

"Football is central to everything we do in the business. Key parts of that for me include recruitment and retention, coaching and athletic performance structures, player well-being and obviously junior development of which I'm very passionate about.

"The Dragons have a rich history of bringing players through to first grade. With our junior representative teams returning to the districts, there still remains a focus for me as far as how our NRLW, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup operate and develop players."

Haran credited new Dragons head coach Anthony Griffin ahead of the club's 2021 campaign.

"2021 is going to be a big year at the Dragons due to the changes we have undertaken. There's a lot of things to be excited about as a club as a whole," Haran said.

"Anthony Griffin was a great appointment for us as a club; his experience and understanding of what it takes to bring young players through is undeniable. He, alongside assistant coaches Peter Gentle and Matt Elliott, already have a clear direction for the team and football department in place.

"Mat Head has returned in a full-time capacity as the Dragons' pathways coach. Collectively with Shaun Timmins, they will be responsible for the junior player recruitment. Shaun will also act in a pathways athletic development role as part of our new Dragons Academy initiative.

"To have two club legends overseeing our next generation of players coming through is really exciting."

Both Tony Guilfoyle and Dan Lawson will assume the responsibility of the Dragons' athletic performance program in 2021.

"Tony Guilfoyle has a great history working alongside Anthony Griffin at the Panthers and Broncos and will be our physical performance manager," Haran said.

"Alongside him will be Dan Lawson as our medical performance manager. Dan has played part in Dragons and Sharks' premiership wins in previous years and is currently NSW Origin's lead physiotherapist."

Haran also confirmed Ian Millward's focus will remain solely on NRL recruitment moving forward.

"We still have a number of spots available for our 2021 season. We'll be working on that over the coming months. Ian Millward's role now means he'll purely focus on NRL recruitment, alongside Anthony Griffin and myself," Haran said.

"Milward's role focus is an important shift because the NRL player market moves at a face pace and where we as a club spend the majority of our money."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...-further-insight-into-21-football-department/

matPORTS

Juniors
Based on what we have confirmed so far, my starting 17 for Round 1 2021:

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsey
6. Sullivan
7. Clune

8. Lawrie
9. Hunt
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford
13. McInness

14. Kerr
15. Ellis
16. Blacker
17. Faamausili

There is a lot still to play out with our roster for sure.

Obviously the JDB issue still needs to play out. Carrying the four big boppers on our bench won't be sustainable for very long, we need some mobility (preferably a hard nosed mobile forward or two from outside the club). Not sure where Merrin and/or Fuimaono fit into my squad (Mez will see out his career in reserve grade and Fui needs a huge off season).

jak

Bench
Based on what we have confirmed so far, my starting 17 for Round 1 2021:

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsey
6. Sullivan
7. Clune

8. Lawrie
9. Hunt
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford
13. McInness

14. Kerr
15. Ellis
16. Blacker
17. Faamausili

There is a lot still to play out with our roster for sure.

Obviously the JDB issue still needs to play out. Carrying the four big boppers on our bench won't be sustainable for very long, we need some mobility (preferably a hard nosed mobile forward or two from outside the club). Not sure where Merrin and/or Fuimaono fit into my squad (Mez will see out his career in reserve grade and Fui needs a huge off season).
good luck