What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some apartment blocks struggle to have quality internet, How many pubs or clubs could effectively run multiple screens via streaming?
in this day and age shouldn't be a problem for vast majority of sites. Not that it matters, NRLs priority is not if every pub can show the game! The technology is there if pubs want to invest in it to be able to draw in patrons.

t-ba

Post Whore
90% of media marketing is spent in the 5 metro capital cities. Doesnt make much sense when 36% of the population is in regions, but that's what it is. So do you think Tv companies will value a sport that has relevance in all 5 markets? $402v593mill would suggest so!

What % of that 90% is spent on Adelaide and Perth?

Wb1234

Referee
That’s exactly right. Instead of putting teams in regional areas (I’ll give you Geelong and Gold Coast) they put their teams in metro areas.

Compare their list of advertisers and their TV deal to ours and tell me that their metro reach isn’t important
Nah I love our regional areas

Newcastle Wollongong central coast and North Queensland crap all over dumps like Adelaide and Perth

if afl has all this national appeal why did their grand final just rate 30 percent less ?

Dodgy

Juniors
The way I see it. It's a different break up of the country. AFL states comprise 4 of the 6 and NRL has the other 2. But in the 2 states NRL is the no1 code, half the population lives in.

Colk

First Grade
Nah I love our regional areas

Newcastle Wollongong central coast and North Queensland crap all over dumps like Adelaide and Perth

if afl has all this national appeal why did their grand final just rate 30 percent less ?

That’s fine but then don’t expect us to get the same deals as fumbleball. Also Adelaide and Perth are fine places. If you have both, then our coverage will be better than fumbleball

I’m not suggesting that they have some bigger appeal (ratings would suggest otherwise) but I’m suggesting that their competition is more desired by advertisers which is part of the reason why they are getting bigger deals

Wb1234

Referee
That’s fine but then don’t expect us to get the same deals as fumbleball. Also Adelaide and Perth are fine places. If you have both, then our coverage will be better than fumbleball

I’m not suggesting that they have some bigger appeal (ratings would suggest otherwise) but I’m suggesting that their competition is more desired by advertisers which is part of the reason why they are getting bigger deals
I except us to get more tbh

now that we know where all the viewers have gone (from Telstra digital now to kayo) it’s clear we dominate

I doubt the afl will ever beat us again in terms of ratings. They have no growth left

as the nrl keeps adding new teams the gap will grow

500 million pa is not that amazing as a tv deal tbh. I think we can actually beat it

Colk

First Grade
I except us to get more tbh

now that we know where all the viewers have gone (from Telstra digital now to kayo) it’s clear we dominate

I doubt the afl will ever beat us again in terms of ratings. They have no growth left

as the nrl keeps adding new teams the gap will grow

500 million pa is not that amazing as a tv deal tbh. I think we can actually beat it

We’re around $100 million dollars or more less then their deal. We’re a fair bit behind - we could catch up to them but I wouldn’t suggest it is a high chance

Perth Red

Post Whore
What % of that 90% is spent on Adelaide and Perth?
given around 15% of pop live in those two cities I'd imagine around 15% of 90% or around 13.5% of total spend. More than is spent across the whole of regional Australia.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We’re around $100 million dollars or more less then their deal. We’re a fair bit behind - we could catch up to them but I wouldn’t suggest it is a high chance
no we arent. We are $191mill cash and contra less in 2025. Around $160mill cash a year less in tv and radio rights alone!

Adding Adelaide and Perth, and more importantly doing it properly and well, puts us ahead of the game. Not only do we then have full metro reach but also unrivalled regional reach. Add in NZ for the cherry on top that puts us ahead and we should be crushing them eventually. Of course that's if we have leadership that isnt incompetent. We need to get metro reach and leverage our higher audiences. Not rocket science!

t-ba

Post Whore
given around 15% of pop live in those two cities I'd imagine around 15% of 90% or around 13.5% of total spend. More than is spent across the whole of regional Australia.

Lol.

If that logic held then 36% of ad revenue would be spent outside of the 5 city area.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol.

If that logic held then 36% of ad revenue would be spent outside of the 5 city area.
well its as good a guess as any, given the stats aren't actually available per city breakdown lol Given Perth is one of the richest places in the country with high levels of disposable income and a population of over 2mill I'd think there'd be a fair bit of attraction for companies wanting to sell sht.

Colk

First Grade
no we arent. We are $191mill cash and contra less in 2025. Around $160mill cash a year less in tv and radio rights alone!

Adding Adelaide and Perth, and more importantly doing it properly and well, puts us ahead of the game. Not only do we then have full metro reach but also unrivalled regional reach. Add in NZ for the cherry on top that puts us ahead and we should be crushing them eventually. Of course that's if we have leadership that isnt incompetent. We need to get metro reach and leverage our higher audiences. Not rocket science!

I was suggesting we are a great deal behind. That’s all I know.

Wb1234

Referee
Looks like they had to offer an extra round too to get it

we will have an 18th team

christchurch bears will do it

Aussie broadcasters will want the bears back in and sky nz will want nz2

t-ba

Post Whore
well its as good a guess as any, given the stats aren't actually available per city breakdown lol Given Perth is one of the richest places in the country with high levels of disposable income and a population of over 2mill I'd think there'd be a fair bit of attraction for companies wanting to sell sht.

It really isn't if you follow the logic of why regional areas have less spend than the 5 biggest metro areas lol.

In fact, it is a pretty dishonest reading of it based on prior logic.

Frank Burge

Juniors
I have heard previously that Sydney and Melbourne attracts over 75% of all advertising spend in Australia, this was around 10 years ago so may have changed since

Wb1234

Referee
I have heard previously that Sydney and Melbourne attracts over 75% of all advertising spend in Australia, this was around 10 years ago so may have changed since
There was an old report around ten years ago which showed 66 percent of sports advertising in Australia was in rugby league dominated areas

The rates to advertise in Sydney influenced this

t-ba

Post Whore
Disposable income is also some dumb shit.

How many adds are for things in FIRE related fields that don't come under disposable consumption, like mortgages and insurance?

Sure, Sydneysiders might have a higher proportion of money tied up in their home loan but guess what, that is still a product that is advertised to them.

Colk

First Grade
Looks like they had to offer an extra round too to get it

we will have an 18th team

christchurch bears will do it

Aussie broadcasters will want the bears back in and sky nz will want nz2

The Bears shouldn’t get any favours if they are playing 4 home games at NSO. It would be the worst decision of all on top of a whole series of questionable decisions.

The_Wookie

Bench
There was an old report around ten years ago which showed 66 percent of sports advertising in Australia was in rugby league dominated areas

The rates to advertise in Sydney influenced this

general tv advertising, not specifically sports advertising. Ive got a copy of the report somewhere.

Latest posts