What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Wb1234

Referee
I have absolutely no argument with that at all. But like the Storm they don`t need to do all that shit in defence to win games.
You`re a die-hard and like many die-hards you don`t care, but if you think that we are going to grow the game if that stuff pervades the game you are wrong. That stuff won`t win over neutrals. Rugby League can be so much better.
What do you think the idiots like so much about fumbleball - continuity - who ever invented that game was clever: no knock-ons; no off-side; no forward passes and as much as we hate other ridiculous elements of it - it flows. And that`s what they love. We can have the same, but without the shit.
Honestly the way they play is imo the most attractive it’s been for 10 years

the game has been terrible for ages. The storm ruined the game and every club tried to copy their awful game plan ie wrestling and then running block plays. It was boring and robotic

Penrith imo play actual rugby league. The halves look for opportunities and take them

if neutrals don’t like their style I don’t think it can get more attractive than that

Penrith have raised the bar way above the other clubs now it’s up to them to follow

this is the modern day dragons of 55 to 66

and on their defence they bashed parra tonight

Colk

First Grade
I have absolutely no argument with that at all. But like the Storm they don`t need to do all that shit in defence to win games.
You`re a die-hard and like many die-hards you don`t care, but if you think that we are going to grow the game if that stuff pervades the game you are wrong. That stuff won`t win over neutrals. Rugby League can be so much better.
What do you think the idiots like so much about fumbleball - continuity - who ever invented that game was clever: no knock-ons; no off-side; no forward passes and as much as we hate other ridiculous elements of it - it flows. And that`s what they love. We can have the same, but without the shit.

You need to be careful with knee jerk reactions. We put in the six again based on a knee jerk reaction and that arguably made the game a weaker spectacle.

The biggest thing I would be worried about is the offside. That is something that is so inconsistently applied.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
and on their defence they bashed parra tonight
There`s a lot to like about Penrith with the ball, they`re a relentless, clinical and off-the-cuff team whenever they need be. I just can`t take this shit of holding players up off the ground and dragging them backwards, christ often they actually lift them back off the ground and drag them back. All the while the rest of their defence is resetting itself and getting ready to charge forward to do it all again. It suffocates other teams attack and ruins the game as a contest.

Colk

First Grade
There`s a lot to like about Penrith with the ball, they`re a relentless, clinical and off-the-cuff team whenever they need be. I just can`t take this shit of holding players up off the ground and dragging them backwards, christ often they actually lift them back off the ground and drag them back. All the while the rest of their defence is resetting itself and getting ready to charge forward to do it all again. It suffocates other teams attack and ruins the game as a contest.

You are talking about gang tackles in essence. In hindsight, you wouldn’t have introduced the 6 again but instead ban third man tackles around the legs. It would have been a lot easier than having a six again rule which there is no oversight on.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
You need to be careful with knee jerk reactions. We put in the six again based on a knee jerk reaction and that arguably made the game a weaker spectacle.

The biggest thing I would be worried about is the offside. That is something that is so inconsistently applied.
I don`t agree, I think the six-again has worked a treat because all too often in the recent past it became a test of wills between the ref`s being caught in the dilemma of wanting the game to flow and being in a battle of wills with teams breaking the rules or bending them a bloody long way. The rule breakers all too often won and the game was worse for it.

Colk

First Grade
I don`t agree, I think the six-again has worked a treat because all too often in the recent past it became a test of wills between the ref`s being caught in the dilemma of wanting the game to flow and being in a battle of wills with teams breaking the rules or bending them a bloody long way. The rule breakers all too often won and the game was worse for it.

You think? We had the most lopsided seasons after it was introduced. Maybe the rule wasn’t the problem but also the introduction of the rule.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
You are talking about gang tackles in essence. In hindsight, you wouldn’t have introduced the 6 again but instead ban third man tackles around the legs. It would have been a lot easier than having a six again rule which there is no oversight on.
The Roosters in the early 2000`s under Ricky were gang-tacklers, numbers driving into the tackle, but from what I remember there was never any of the tiresome deliberate lift and drag back we are seeing from Penrith. Just driving players into the ground.
Third man isn`t the problem. It`s the first two are grabbing around the torso or by the jumper and holding players up, before either they or the third man in begin the drag back.

Colk

First Grade
The Roosters in the early 2000`s under Ricky were gang-tacklers, numbers driving into the tackle, but from what I remember there was never any of the tiresome deliberate lift and drag back we are seeing from Penrith. Just driving players into the ground.
Third man isn`t the problem. It`s the first two are grabbing around the torso or by the jumper and holding players up, before either they or the third man in begin the drag back.

Sure but if you don’t have a third man you can’t drive them back.

Nevertheless, I don’t think you should change the rules or introduce new rules. The best way would be to called held before they hold them up or drive them back.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I think there has been an implicit recognition by the NRL that lift and drag back tactics are a problem for the game. Last year we saw a lot of teams, not just the Panthers, but especially them, where any player who was tackled within ~5 metres of the sideline became especially targeted by defenders, holding the tackled player up and then others coming in and dragging them over the sideline. It became suicide for any player to be tackled anywhere within 5 metres of the sideline. It was effectively narrowing the field of play by 10 metres, in what already is a narrower field of play because players are so much bigger and fitter these days.
So what did we see, how often do you see ref`s screaming ` held held `as players are being dragged towards the sideline now and penalties being given. It was an implicit acknowledgement that the practice was a blight on the game and narrowing an already compressed field of play.
For me the same should be happening when players are being lifted and dragged backwards.

Colk

First Grade
I think there has been an implicit recognition by the NRL that lift and drag back tactics are a problem for the game. Last year we saw a lot of teams, not just the Panthers, but especially them, where any player who was tackled within ~5 metres of the sideline became especially targeted by defenders, holding the tackled player up and then others coming in and dragging them over the sideline. It became suicide for any player to be tackled anywhere within 5 metres of the sideline. It was effectively narrowing the field of play by 10 metres, in what already is a narrower field of play because players are so much bigger and fitter these days.
So what did we see, how often do you see ref`s screaming ` held held `as players are being dragged towards the sideline now and penalties being given. It was an implicit acknowledgement that the practice was a blight on the game and narrowing an already compressed field of play.
For me the same should be happening when players are being lifted and dragged backwards.

Yeah exactly. Unfortunately coaches lead the rules and rules follow. You’ll probably see this next year

Colk

First Grade
Btw what are your thoughts on the Dolphins jersey?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Yeah exactly. Unfortunately coaches lead the rules and rules follow. You’ll probably see this next year
I know you laugh at people who still watch Ch.9, well, I`m one of them. But even A. Johns, who with all due respect I consider a numpty of the highest order had a bit of a grumble about the Panthers drag back defence tonight. Yes, hopefully we`ll see something next year.
BTW so funny when you watch old games, players leaping to their feet and racing back to the defensive lines, just like we were taught to as kids, so much easier if you linger in the tackle hey ! Ahh ! the genius tactics of Rugby League coaches.

Colk

First Grade
I know you laugh at people who still watch Ch.9, well, I`m one of them. But even A. Johns, who with all due respect I consider a numpty of the highest order had a bit of a grumble about the Panthers drag back defence tonight. Yes, hopefully we`ll see something next year.
BTW so funny when you watch old games, players leaping to their feet and racing back to the defensive lines, just like we were taught to as kids, so much easier if you linger in the tackle hey ! Ahh ! the genius tactics of Rugby League coaches.

I don’t know how you do it. I admire your patience watching Channel Nine’s coverage. I do agree with him in a sense but RL is a bit like this. Some club thinks of a tactic and do it really well and then the rules stomp it out. I think you’ll have referees looking at this next year.

Colk

First Grade
Nice try mate, "somebody distract him ".
Nah, just saying to my son tonight, can`t wait to see a new jersey in the comp.

Wasn’t that at all. I agree with you about the defensive tactics.

They introduced their home jersey today and I was curious about your thoughts.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I don’t know how you do it. I admire your patience watching Channel Nine’s coverage. I do agree with him in a sense but RL is a bit like this. Some club thinks of a tactic and do it really well and then the rules stomp it out. I think you’ll have referees looking at this next year.
Well I hope they have a good hard look at what is considered a knock-on and what isn`t as well and let the game flow a bit. Any way off to bed, pleasure talking to you, goodnight.