What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NSW Cup

A couple of Venue changes for this weekend

St George Illawarra v Parramatta now at Kellyville Park (Cup & Flegg)

Wests v Mounties & Wests Tigers v Victoria now at Waminda Oval (Cup & Flegg)

Manly v Penrith is still TBA

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Souths-Canterbury is now at Belmore with Jnr Reps at Redfern.

Wests Tigers have the Flegg change but still have NSW Cup being played at Lidcombe.

Manly v Penrith is scheduled for Laybutt but indeed all fixtures are in some doubt with this weather.

Newcastle v Roosters/Norths was originally scheduled at Charlestown but moved to Cessnock recently.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Clear skies forecast so I'd imagine weather should be good giving 2 days to dry out to handle. Maybe.

Ironic having Flegg at Waminda too given the falling out between Eagles and NSWRL admin

TheGeneral

Juniors
So North Sydney's and Mounties team list both nowhere to be seen and half the other teams listed are missing players

Never change NSWRL.

Souths-Canterbury is now at Belmore with Jnr Reps at Redfern.

Wests Tigers have the Flegg change but still have NSW Cup being played at Lidcombe.

Manly v Penrith is scheduled for Laybutt but indeed all fixtures are in some doubt with this weather.

Newcastle v Roosters/Norths was originally scheduled at Charlestown but moved to Cessnock recently.
Well someone better tell the Refs, their appointments have both Cup and Flegg at Waminda

TheGeneral

Juniors

NSW Cup 2022 Season Preview | Newtown Jets​

Jets fans shouldn’t fret that the famous ‘Bluebags’ were sitting eighth on The Knock-On-Effect NSW Cup ladder when the competition was cancelled last July due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Newton finished seventh when the 2019 regular season drew to a close before storming their way into the NSW Cup Grand Final and beating the Wentworthville Magpies to claim the premiership.

So, the ability to surprise seems part of the Jets DNA. Perhaps it’s just the wily ways of long-time coach Greg Matterson, who’s been at the helm since 2008.

“I’ve been around a long time and being a feeder club, we were with the Roosters for 10 years and now the Sharks so I’ve had the privilege of working with some great coaches – premiership winners like Ricky (Stuart), Robbo (Trent Robinson) and Flano (Shane Flanagan),” Matterson said.

“I’m with Fitzy (Craig Fitzgibbon) now, who I first met when he was training as a Rooster. He’s a real breath of fresh air and good bloke so those kinds of things make my job so enjoyable each year.”

Regardless, Matterson won’t want the Jets’ start in 2022 to look anything like 2021 – a first-up win against the Dragons before five straight losses.

“We were a little bit unlucky in that the Sharks had an injury-ridden start to their NRL season, and we also had a few injuries,” he said.

“But at the moment we’re fully healthy and we feel like we’ve got a competitive enough squad to win some early games.

“We need to do that and take a bit of pressure off the back end of the year, which we were starting to put ourselves under.

“We’ve got to watch out because the two grand finals I’ve won we were seventh and eighth but now there’s only five-teams semi-finals. So, we need to make sure we’re in that top four-to-five right from the get-go.”

The Jets managed only four wins in 2021, adding to eight losses and one draw.

This season

Familiar faces in The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup last year were halves Braydon Trindall and Luke Metcalf. Trindall was also goalkicker along with being a handy tryscorer as was Metcalf both at five-eighth or at fullback.

They are two key parts of the Jets attacking spine that are in the NRL full-time squad this year.

“We got Rhys Davies over from Manly – he was at Parramatta before that – and has a fair bit of NSW Cup experience in the halves and Zac Woolford is still with us at hooker,” Matterson said.

“The Sharks have also signed Jayden Berrell from Wynnum-Manly (Qld Cup) and he’s a real competitor at dummy-half so I’ve got a couple of good No.9s I can call on.”

Prodigal sons Reuben Rennie from the Bulldogs (2019 NSW Cup Best & Fairest award), Myles Taueli (Redcliffe), and Addison Demetriou (Manly) have returned to Newton.

“We’ve got a fair bit of strike and zeal and we’ve got some outside backs I’m looking forward to like Zac Cini we’ve signed from Western Suburbs Magpies. Kevin Iro’s son Kayal Iro is staying with us another year like Jackson Ferris and we’ve got a good young kid in Tom Hazelton.”

Cini was second in the NSW Cup for tackle-breaks in 2021 with 54, behind Penrith’s Taylan May (57).

“Hopefully we’ll get a sprinkling of NRL players to keep our spine strong. But we still feel like we’ve assembled a better squad this year than we have recently – just on the quality of the blokes who we really targeted to bring here,” Matterson said.

Players to watch

Matterson nominated Cook Islands international Reuben Rennie was one to look out for in 2022.

“He’s played a couple of NRL trials in the backrow and ‘Fitzy’ has been impressed with him,” he said.

“Myles Taueli could be a star, as can Addison Demetriou if he stays fit. And Zac Woolford continues to impress at hooker.

“Young lock Tyler Slade was captain of the Sharks U20s side last year and we’ve got really big hopes for him – he looked really good in the trials and I think he can push through to the NRL.

“Kurt Dillon is also back with us – he’s such a tough leader who most likely will be our captain.”

Dillon is a product from De La Salle Caringbah club and was Newton Jets’ Player of the Year in 2017, and a part of their Grand Final team in 2018 alongside making his NRL debut for the Sharks that same year.

He also played NRL for the South Sydney Rabbitohs before joining the Parramatta Eels last year.

TheGeneral

Juniors

NSW Cup 2022 Season Preview | Newcastle Knights​

The number five figured prominently for the Knights in The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup last year.

The Newcastle team finished fifth on the ladder and had five players graduate to the NRL: Brayden Musgrove (wing), Simi Sasagi (half), Jirah Momisea (back row), Mat Croker (prop) and Dominic Young (centre).

The squad had their ups and downs in grabbing six wins but also six losses in 2021. However, they showed a fair bit of ticker as well.

After being stung 50-6 by Western Suburbs in round three, the Knights drew 14-14 with the Magpies in Round 15, which ended up being the last game of The Knock-On Effect competition before it was abandoned because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The first four rounds were telling for how the season might pan out – a first-up loss to the Mounties, then a win over the Jets, the Magpies loss and then a win against the Dragons.

“It always depends on your injuries up top (in NRL),” said the Knights NSW Cup coach and True Blue Mark O’Meley.

“Andrew Ryan did a great job last year with the squad he had, given the ebb and flow of the season. We didn’t have a Jersey Flegg team so we had a lot of younger players having to transition to The Knock-On Effect.

“Those players that did graduate even higher up to the NRL made Andrew very proud. And it’s not easy because you may get some injuries and HIAs and in some cases we had no-one left on the bench with half-a-game still to go.”

Managing those situations for a coach and his players builds resilience and O’Meley wants to carry that trait forward from 2021 right through 2022.

“Obviously you’ve got to nurture your future players and develop them, alongside all the players coming back for another season – harnessing all that passion and desire to wear that Knights jumper,” he said.

“You want them to pull on the Knights colours with pride whether it’s the NRL or The Knock-On Effect.”

This season

Recruitment has been a local focus for O’Meley this year. He’s got more than inkling of what the Knights future looks like having coached Harold Matthews Cup last year.

“Our Denton Engineering Cup between the Newcastle and Central Coast teams is a pretty high standard so the players we’ve brought into the part-time program from there are nearly all locals,” he said.

“Quite a few of them got a run in the NRL trials showing the standard is probably equivalent to the Ron Massey Cup.”

Seven players named in The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup side for round one against the North Sydney Bears on Sunday 13 March played against the Storm in the second NRL trial, while five took part in the first trial against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

One of those was winger Nick O’Meley – the coach’s oldest son.

“He still lives with me, so it’s probably made our relationship a little closer,” O’Meley said.

“Previously he’s been with the Bears and Roosters but last year was with ‘Bobcat’ here at the Knights.

“I don’t try to talk too much footy with him at home – we both want to switch off. We are similar personalities so we tend to butt heads but coaching him now has brought us closer.

“For me it’s easy – you don’t deliver, you won’t play – and he’s been raised that way.”

Players to watch

“I’ve got guys like Dylan Lucas (centre) knocking on the door, along with the other guys who played some NRL last year.

“Liam Wilkinson (hooker) is another who could see some first grade. I don’t like naming kids because I don’t want to put pressure on them. But if you get the chance to aim higher then that pressure comes anyway.

“Dylan Phythian (halfback) is another and he’s my captain this year. He’s done the hard yards with a couple of knee reconstructions. But he’s come back to us and trained really hard and really well since his stint at the Gold Coast.

“I’m sure he’s got a point to prove after all those setbacks. The fight in him makes him a good leader.”

One player who won’t be there, despite three games of NRL as a 19-year-old last year, is Simi Sasagi. He’s back in Jersey Flegg as O’Meley said the club wants to keep players in their age groups now as much as possible.

TheGeneral

Juniors

NSW Cup 2022 Season Preview | Magpies​

Western Suburbs Magpies were one of the NSW Cup heavyweights in 2021, sitting in the top two at the end of the 15-game season and only six competition points behind the Penrith Panthers.

What’s more, the Magpies had the best attacking record in the competition with a tally of 422 points, surpassing the 40-point mark in four separate games.

The 2021 side also featured six NRL debutants throughout the season, including hooker Jake Simpkin, outside backs Zac Cini and Junior Pauga, prop froward Tuki Simpkins, backrower Kelma Tuilagi and No.7 Jock Madden.

At just 21, Madden himself was a key contributor to the success of Ben Gardiner’s side last year, earning the honour of 2021 Western Suburbs Magpies Player of the Year.

The halfback finished the season as top pointscorer (130) and directed Wests’ attack with aplomb, recording eight tries, 49 goals, six try assists, seven line-break assists, as well as being second best for kick meters (2,905).

This season

Simply put, it will be very difficult to back against the Magpies for the upcoming season, who line up this year with a number of familiar faces from the 2021 squad.

As result there isn’t much room to improve other than continuing their 2021 form and building towards a top four finish in 2022 – their campaign starting on Sunday afternoon against Mounties.

Outgoing Magpies coach Ben Gardiner has been rewarded for his success by reconvening with Michael Maguire as an assistant at the Wests Tigers. He is replaced by Wayne Lambkin who comes off a 2021 Jersey Flegg Cup season that saw the Tigers finish in top spot when the season was suspended due to the Sydney COVID-19 outbreak after 11 matches.

With that in mind, 2022 will give fans a look at some of those Under 21s names who are set to make the step up to NSW Cup level.

With their attacking structures already well and truly in place, Western Suburbs also boast a strong forward pack featuring Kiwi middles Thomas Mikaele – with 60 games of NRL experience – and promising 20-year-old Tuki Simpkins, alongside backrower Tom Freebairn and prop Austin Dias who share 76 NSW Cup appearances between them.

This year’s Magpies squad has all the makings of a premiership tilt in 2022.

Players to watch

Jersey Flegg Cup stars Logen Dillon and Rua Ngatikaura are two youngsters who could light up the competition in 2022.

Fullback Dillon only had a glimpse of NSW Cup last year but he’s got far more to offer when he gets the first opportunity in the custodian role for round one, including his ability to invariably appear in the right place at the right time and be the first man in support with any break in the defensive line.

From nine Jersey Flegg games in 2021, Dillon scored eight tries and set up three, made 11 line-breaks and threw seven offloads while averaging 5.6 tackle busts and 136.2 run metres.

Alongside him was Jersey Flegg Tigers captain and hooker Ngatikaura, whose strong build and powerful ball running has already drawn comparisons with Melbourne Storm’s Brandon Smith.

The Tigers junior led the Under 21s side by example, producing six tries, three try assists, six line-breaks and three line-break assists, with an average of two tackle busts and 23.1 tackles.

siv

First Grade
Cant find any NSW Cup games being broadcast by Fox or Ch9

Whats the go this year?

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Cant find any NSW Cup games being broadcast by Fox or Ch9

Whats the go this year?
27 matches being broadcast this year, starting from Round 3. The slot they'd usually occupy is currently taken up by NRLW. Fox and Kayo will be the sole broadcaster during the regular season.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Very surprising result with Mounties getting up over the Magpies by 20-16. Tigers Flegg side also lost so wow, 2021 form didn't translate across.

rightleftin

Juniors
It will be interesting to see if Mounties, as the only club without NRL players, can match the effort of Wyong, when they finished in the top 6, in the season before they linked with the Roosters.

TheGeneral

Juniors
What's the story with Zac Cini? Signed for Newtown, appeared for Cronulla in a trial, and lines up for Parramatta.