What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 R11 Fri - Parramatta 22-20 Manly @ CommBank

Round 11: Parramatta v Manly

• Parramatta Eels

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bazal

Post Whore
Fair call if true. But I'm an ex-ref as well and I get fed up with keyboard warriors with less of a clue than Gus passing judgement.

Understandable. But like I said however many posts above by the time I type this out, it's not that anyone expects perfection...personally I just expect them to not wreck games with obvious poor calls.

no name

Coach
I don't reckon anyone expects perfection. Just they don't wrongly have an adverse impact on the game, like they seem to most games lately.
Surely these blokes with the whistle have been around the game to understand the game.
Like that try saving tackle by the Manly winger. Awesome tackle, but straight away you can hear the officials discussing whether it was a penalty or not.
The bloke dropped a foot and a half in a millisecond and I still haven’t seen a clear shot of contact with the head.
I know the on field refs don’t have the luxury of slomo replays, but even straight up, I don’t think anyone watching live was thinking penalty, yet that was the officials first discussion.

mave

Coach
Pretty good effort from Parra in terms of ruck infringement and penalties. I can't remember either of these blown to Manly.

I know they gave away at least 2 penalties for obstruction/foul play.

Almost the perfect 80 minutes of discipline.
Not bad in 2022 VLANDYSBALL.

Iamback

Coach
Surely these blokes with the whistle have been around the game to understand the game.
Like that try saving tackle by the Manly winger. Awesome tackle, but straight away you can hear the officials discussing whether it was a penalty or not.
The bloke dropped a foot and a half in a millisecond and I still haven’t seen a clear shot of contact with the head.
I know the on field refs don’t have the luxury of slomo replays, but even straight up, I don’t think anyone watching live was thinking penalty, yet that was the officials first discussion.

This.

Shocking call

Bazal

Post Whore
Pretty good effort from Parra in terms of ruck infringement and penalties. I can't remember either of these blown to Manly.

I know they gave away at least 2 penalties for obstruction/foul play.

Almost the perfect 80 minutes of discipline.
Not bad in 2022 VLANDYSBALL.

In all fairness I'm not sure we ever were obviously offside. Not cos of any cleanskin shit...just cos our linespeed was horrible pretty much all night. You blokes beat us there easily.

Iamback

Coach
I don't reckon anyone expects perfection. Just they don't wrongly have an adverse impact on the game, like they seem to most games lately.

It seems like they look for reasons to call tries back

Or if the tackle looks dangerous find an issue with it

Both have have negative results on the game and bring pressure on refs

mave

Coach
In all fairness I'm not sure we ever were obviously offside. Not cos of any cleanskin shit...just cos our linespeed was horrible pretty much all night. You blokes beat us there easily.

And we got penalised accordingly...

Bazal

Post Whore

I don't blame the officials for that one, though. The directive has been very public

There was contact with the head, which has been an automatic penalty for a while now.

Do I agree with it? Not really. But there's been way worse given on a slipping player. And I also think that's a debate that goes much further than just penalties given the focus on CTE etc.

I reckon we should all be glad it wasn't a sin bin, cos it would have been this time last year. And cos the Keppie sin bin was pretty comparable in terms of how bad the tackle really was

Iamback

Coach
I don't blame the officials for that one, though. The directive has been very public

There was contact with the head, which has been an automatic penalty for a while now.

Do I agree with it? Not really. But there's been way worse given on a slipping player. And I also think that's a debate that goes much further than just penalties given the focus on CTE etc.

I reckon we should all be glad it wasn't a sin bin, cos it would have been this time last year. And cos the Keppie sin bin was pretty comparable in terms of how bad the tackle really was

For me it comes back to them trying to penalise accidents out of the game

Bazal

Post Whore
For me it comes back to them trying to penalise accidents out of the game

I think it's probably one place I have some kind of sympathy for the refs?

Like, we're in a world where we know that concussions can literally destroy your brain. On the other hand, accidents definitely happen in contact sport. How do you manage it?

There has to be an onus on doing everything possible to avoid head contact, but there is also inevitably going to be head contact. I haven't got an answer and I don't envy anyone who needs to come up with one tbh.

no name

Coach

I completely understand where you’re coming from, but I still haven’t seen a shot where there was contact with the head.
I have seen contact with Perham’s chest while his head was tilted backwards which caused a spectacular collision, but no vision of contact with the head.
There was multiple replays as well.
I know the NRL is big on player safety and I back that 100%, but where is the ‘line’?
Each individual will have their ‘line’ and I think the majority of long term fans have their line set to a different position than the NRL’s.
No one knows who is right or wrong on where you set that line, but if it continues the way it is, some supporters will be lost.
Will there be enough new supporters to fill that gap is the gamble the NRL will have to take.

Iamback

Coach
I think it's probably one place I have some kind of sympathy for the refs?

Like, we're in a world where we know that concussions can literally destroy your brain. On the other hand, accidents definitely happen in contact sport. How do you manage it?

There has to be an onus on doing everything possible to avoid head contact, but there is also inevitably going to be head contact. I haven't got an answer and I don't envy anyone who needs to come up with one tbh.

Which leads to the next question.

How does Harper not connect with the head?

It was in that position due to a wet field caused the attacker to fall. There needs to be allowance for that

Bazal

Post Whore
Which leads to the next question.

How does Harper not connect with the head?

It was in that position due to a wet field caused the attacker to fall. There needs to be allowance for that

I don't disagree I just wonder how you manage it when referees can't even always get black and white obstruction calls right.

Do you say that if the guy falls, that's not a penalty? How far does he have to fall and how do you measure it? What happens if it's a swinging arm, or a shoulder to the head? Does that change how far he has to fall? And who has the discretion, the ref or the Bunker?

It starts to get really messy and subjective...again, I say all this without having an answer myself. My best start is it probably shouldn't be a penalty if the contact is chest to head. Except maybe where the defender leaves the ground like a Ukrainian missile. But that's getting messy already...

Latest posts