What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Pre-Season

Rabbits20

Immortal

Rabbitohs Radio/TV chat with Ben Hornby.

So he said Ilias will get first crack at halfback. He speaks highly of him and his temperament. He also mentions Hawkins as the next option for halfback.

He says he sees Ta’affe as more of a fullback or running 5/8 at this stage of his career and they don’t wanna rush him. Hornby said he thinks it’s better for Ta’affe to learn kinda from out the back like when he played his first few years of first grade and that Blake could move to 7 later in his career or if Ilias for some reason did not work out at 7.

Of course the issue is Trell and Cody are our 1 and 6 so Ta’affe will probs have to play the 14 role I assume and I don’t know how long he would accept that for before other clubs come knocking to give him a start.

Rabbits20

Immortal
ROOKIE’S ‘BIG OPPORTUNITY’

One of the biggest questions ahead of next season has been answered.

There’s several players hoping to land Adam Reynolds’ vacant No.7 jersey — and Rabbitohs assistant coach Ben Hornby has revealed there’s a frontrunner in the race.

Hornby has revealed young gun Lachlan Ilias will likely get the first opportunity to partner Cody Walker in the halves next season.

Also chasing the halfback role is Dean Hawkins, Blake Taaffe and new recruit Anthony Milford — however Milford’s contract won’t be registered until court proceedings relating to assault charges are complete.

I think Lachie will probably get first crack with Deano,” Hornby told Rabbitohs Radio.

“I think Taaffe is more suited to the fullback type role, or maybe a running five-eighth role.

“But whoever comes into that role is going to be so lucky. We’ve got a lot of experience around those guys, Cody Walker, Latrell (Mitchell) at the back, Damien Cook, Cam Murray... they’re just not going to let these guys down. They’re going to make it as easy and as seamless as it can be.”

“He’s got a great opportunity in front of him now... he’s just a great kid, he works really hard, you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone fitter.

“He’s got a great temperament to play in the halves as well, which I think is really important, so I’m looking forward to getting him out on the park and getting a few more reps into him.”

The 21-year-old made his NRL debut in the final round of the regular season this year and scored a try in the sixth minute.

It’s his only first grade game to date, but he’s impressed enough in the junior grade — and at training — to convince South Sydney’s coaching staff that he’s ready.

callmack1

Staff member
‘Latrell will be our No.1’ - Demetriou rules out halves switch for star: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/la...t-halves-switch-for-star-20211209-p59gdw.html

Glad to hear JD come out and say this as it should put all the talk to bed. Certainly the right option, we'd be stupid to shift one of the best players in the game away from his best position right now, especially when we're going to have a new member of the spine at halfback.

Just on that, it basically confirms that Ilias will be half which is what I've been feeling right from the moment it was announced Reyno was going. I'm happy with that. Seems a good kid and hopefully a star of the future. With a full Pre-Season, I really feel he could be a star.