What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

There is a predicament that clubs are not having the money they once had due to covid. Cabra, Guilford and ASquith are all smaller licenced clubs and need time to recover.
Not sure about Guilford but I have heard both Asquith hope to return to SS and RM and eventually. it seems Cabra was as well.

I am a big believer that SS should stay and be open age. People need to realise that NRL (first grade) is not all there is to RL. SS and RM are something worth aspiring to and it sure beats playing in some of the A grade comps
That was one of problems with NYC under 20's and now Under 21's Jersey Flegg -Players that don't get signed by an NRL club when too old to play these comps need a decent level of comp to keep playing in to keep the dream alive so to speak. Whether that be Reggies or other comps such as RMC and SS

Not sure if they will ever go back to an Under 23's comp like they had for years and years- Always a great day of footy to watch the 3 grades - Now 1 game mostly when you go to an NRL game as Reggies and Jersey Flegg is mostly played on Saturdays. - It's hardly worth your while travelling there and back - watch it on FTA or Pay TV.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The regression in the RMC/SS can be pinned on the NSWRL not given a toss about the lower tier and it being painfully obvious so. This comp used to be thriving and now they're clutching at straws to fulfill a meaningul set of participants.

Also I wish agencies would cease using COVID as an excuse because this mismanaged dumpster fire was in existence before 2020.

TigerDen

Juniors
The regression in the RMC/SS can be pinned on the NSWRL not given a toss about the lower tier and it being painfully obvious so. This comp used to be thriving and now they're clutching at straws to fulfill a meaningul set of participants.

Also I wish agencies would cease using COVID as an excuse because this mismanaged dumpster fire was in existence before 2020.
I totally agree with your comments. The NSWRL gives very little support to these competitions. Their digital site fails to promote the clubs or participants, except for the sponsored Silktails. The only time there was any promotion was in 2020, when the President's Cup and Shield were the only comps being played.

Trials this weekend

Ron Massey Cup

Glebe v Mounties @ Henson Park Saturday 3.20pm

Sydney Shield

St Marys v Penrith Brothers @ St Marys Stadium Saturday 4.30pm

Moorebank v Moorebank inter club trial. Sunday @ Hammondville 11am

siv

First Grade

I would say a lot of this has come about from clubs thinking they have to leave RMC and become defacto NRL RG teams

I dont think its helping NRL clubs or 2nd Tier clubs

It would be better for NRL clubs to run RG and transform RMC/NSW Cup into a proper NSW State Cup

rightleftin

Juniors
The reality is that Rugby League has been in long term decline as an adult participation sport. If you look at the 25 years to 2021 the number of A grade and A Reserve grade teams has fallen from 162 teams to 88 teams and the peak participation point was decades before 1996.

If there are 17 teams in RMC and SS this year, then that is pretty much the same as 1996 when the Metro Cup had 9 clubs with 2 grades.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Part of the problem is the notion that if you haven't played junior reps or Jersey flegg then you aren't going to "make it" and there is not point in playing RL anymore.
"making it" is the problem, there are plenty of opportunity to play good quality RL and get some coin too. Or just play to enjoy the game

Weekend Trials

Saturday 19th February

Ron Massey Cup

St Marys v Mounties @ St Marys Stadium. 3pm

Sunday 20th February

Sydney Shield

Moorebank Rams v Ryde Eastwood Hawks @ Hammondville Oval. 11am

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I think if they were serious they could get both Cabra and Belrose back up or at least a team or 2 to replace them.
Apparently there is a meeting between the SS clubs and NSWRL. I have an uneasy feeling about the result

Last edited:

rightleftin

Juniors
Whats the problem if there are only 7 teams in Shield. Sure, the clubs with 2 teams will not play at the same venue, but just make a draw and get on with it. There were only 7 teams in Shield in 2011.