What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

thebigredv

First Grade
Now I'm coming around to thinking that Hook is a very methodical, medium-term strategist. We were never going to win the comp last year, let alone challenge for it. He knew that. Playing Norman each week at least meant the young halves could stay in the slow cooker for a while longer. 'Releasing' Vaughan and Dufty now looks to me like he astutely isolated the discipline problem and also cleared the decks for (hopefully) clever recruitment. If this is a correct review of Hooks tenure to-date I would anticipate that he has visions of advancing a young hooker from our juniors into first grade when the time is right.

I really can't come around to giving credit to the coach for persisting with Corey Norman that long in the same way you can, Mojo. Sure there short, medium and long term planning when it comes to footy but I don't see how selecting a player who no club will touch with a barge pole was of benefit to the careers of Sullivan and Amone and the future of our team. We would have been so much better knowing by now if we have long term play makers in those two juniors. It's great to have belief in them but can anyone say they have proven themselves in FG like other young kids like Walsh, Hynes and Walker? They should had have longer to do so especially by a coach who could see our 2021 season was a futile expedition.

I think you are correct regarding a young hooker being the incumbent and I hope that can be expedited. It's a big call on yet to be tested youth that we'd ignore some potent albeit expensive options available in the forwards/hooking role for 2023.

Hook may not be at the club in 2023 and yet we all will still be. If it's another mess for someone else to fix than can you imagine the disillusionment of fans by then? I remain circumspect of the plan ahead but Hook has a better footy brain than me just not the runs on the board with us as yet. This upcoming year is a fascinating prospect at least!

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Pretty good side.
A couple of changes from me.
Woods to start, Jack to an edge with Sims to bench or even Burns on bench instead.
I think Sims is a middle bench at this point in time.
Either way isn’t it good to have options now.
Agree with most of your changes. Barring a miracle, I think Sims days as an edge forward are over and he'll be lucky to crack a spot anywhere in the team. If Burns can replicate the form he showed in the last few games of last season, he could be the edge smoky for 2022. I''m a fan of Lawrie for his aggression (within the rules) and work rate and I'd always pick him ahead of McGuire- when he finally gets on the field.

Mojo

Bench
I really can't come around to giving credit to the coach for persisting with Corey Norman that long in the same way you can, Mojo. Sure there short, medium and long term planning when it comes to footy but I don't see how selecting a player who no club will touch with a barge pole was of benefit to the careers of Sullivan and Amone and the future of our team. We would have been so much better knowing by now if we have long term play makers in those two juniors. It's great to have belief in them but can anyone say they have proven themselves in FG like other young kids like Walsh, Hynes and Walker? They should had have longer to do so especially by a coach who could see our 2021 season was a futile expedition.

I think you are correct regarding a young hooker being the incumbent and I hope that can be expedited. It's a big call on yet to be tested youth that we'd ignore some potent albeit expensive options available in the forwards/hooking role for 2023.

Hook may not be at the club in 2023 and yet we all will still be. If it's another mess for someone else to fix than can you imagine the disillusionment of fans by then? I remain circumspect of the plan ahead but Hook has a better footy brain than me just not the runs on the board with us as yet. This upcoming year is a fascinating prospect at least!
Yes, all true. The Club's recent performances, especially watching Corey week after week, have turned me into a schizophrenic but I'm trying to revert to irrational optimism. I will shed tears of relief if they simply perform like a Dragons footy team in 22. I don't want them to be 'desperate for success' - they should be focused on being a team that dominates their opposition with excellent, clean, solid, skillful footy. They should expect success.

ALSGI

Bench
Good interview with Griffo, also Bud at the end.

Thanks GS.

Agree with Mojo about the comment ‘they’re desperate for success’. They should expect it - but we don’t know what’s being talked about in the sheds or in their heads.

One comment I liked from Griffo was ‘I’m sure’ of more success. That’s pretty positive of what he thinks the new squad can do without the dribble we heard from McGregor this time of year. McGregor would have hedged his bets on he’s ‘confident’, ‘they’re hungrier’ etc. Griffo just says it outright - ‘I’m sure’.

getsmarty

Immortal

Mojo

Bench
By all accounts Sullivan is a high quality guy. I appreciate his commitment to the Club sooo much. I sincerely hope he goes on to a brilliant career - and remains a one club player throughout.

Mojo

Bench
Kiku is at the right age and in the clip provided by getsmarty he seems talented enough . Big , fast with plenty of ball skills and is no afraid of tackling , a good pick-up for the Dragons .

This is a great signing.

Who wrote that article. Fair dinkum.

Latest posts