What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

SnowDragon

Juniors
We are developing our own in Connor Muhleisen. Good young hooker and a reasonable goal kicker as well.

how far is he off? Ready for reserves yet?
any details on him?
(I heard the name previously and was half thinking about him when I wrote my message)

The Word

Juniors
They would depend on how he goes.
With part timers allowed to play FG, DP contracts aren't as important.
I'm not sure what the details are but I have been told young players are signing opportunity contracts, maybe there is a overhaul in place.
I'm always a bit worried about clubs coming in for our juniors, like the Storm did with Wishart. Clubs like Melbourne and Easts seem to have much better recruitment departments when it comes to grabbing quality young prospects. I assume it's because they can't produce their own juniors, so they have to recruit well at that age group. But whatever the reason, it seems to help them form quality squads.

I know we have an excellent catchment area, but I wonder whether an aggressive recruitment policy targeting high quality juniors might help us develop a stronger squad?

George Dragon

Juniors
I'm always a bit worried about clubs coming in for our juniors, like the Storm did with Wishart. Clubs like Melbourne and Easts seem to have much better recruitment departments when it comes to grabbing quality young prospects. I assume it's because they can't produce their own juniors, so they have to recruit well at that age group. But whatever the reason, it seems to help them form quality squads.

I know we have an excellent catchment area, but I wonder whether an aggressive recruitment policy targeting high quality juniors might help us develop a stronger squad?

What like signing
Worrimi Dates from the Newcastle area
Tyrus Salanoa from Qld
Finau Latu from Fairfield
Shalom O'Ofou from Melbourne.

What about current FG players
Lomax from Temora
Max and Mat from Leeton
Ramsey from Molong.

Ps Wishart isn't a big loss.

Last edited:

The Word

Juniors
What like signing
Worrimi Dates from the Newcastle area
Tyrus Salanoa from Qld
Finau Latu from Fairfield
Shalom O'Ofou from Melbourne.

What about current FG players
Lomax from Temora
Max and Mat from Leeton
Ramsey from Molong.

Ps Wishart isn't a big lose.
Yeah sorry, didn't quite mean that. Really happy that the club recruits from regional western nsw, which I think has always been part of our catchment area, So Lomax, Max and Mat, and Ramsey are playing at the right club.

I hope the others you mentioned turn out to be quality. I think the point I was trying to make was that those two clubs seem to grab young players from other NRL systems at a young age that turn out to be quality. Not sure we have a track record of doing that.

possm

Coach
See a few team list for next year already, so I thought I would just add a little bit myself with some extra data and I will focus only on our back 5 and edge forwards (as they stand right now).

Fullback
Tyrell Sloan - 19 yrs old, 185cm 84kg's - he is still 'growing' and with a full pre-season, I expect him to add another 5 or so kilos. Runs like a gazelle and will be a weapon next year.

Wings:
1. Mat Feagai - 20yrs old, 186cm 96kg's - like Sloan another who will add some muscle in the pre-season. I think he will be one the starting wingers.
2. Mika Ravalawa - 23yrs old, 184cm 93kg (mmm yeah right) - the 'beast' just has to fix his tackle style in the off-season. Absolute weapon.

Centres:
1. Zac Lomax - 22yrs old, 190cm 94kg's - goal kicker, let's hope he can fix his injuries this off-season and have a fully fit 2022. Definite aerial target.
2. Moses Suli - 23yrs old, 189cm 109kg's - when he's on, he's just about unstoppable.

These are our back 5. Notice the ages, with the oldest being Rava who will turn 24 next month. Good size about them. Maybe lack a really tall winger, but I'm happy with the 2 listed here.

A couple of back-ups - Cody Ramsey - 21yrs old, 185cm 82kg's - probably needs some more bulk, let's see what they can do with him in the off and pre-season. Max Feagai - 20yrs old, 186cm 98kg's - shame he suffered that bad concussion, a fully fit Max will definitely challenge for a spot.

Going to focus now on 2 edge forwards:
1, Billy Burns - 22yrs old, 191cm 104kg's - my prediction is that Billy will be an absolute weapon for us next year. Another who needs a full pre-season. Needs room to move and when he gets it you'll see something really special.
2. Jayden Sua - 23yrs old, 188cm 100kg's - grand final player, will add some good defense in an area we've been lacking.

Again some young guns with good size.

If we add in Ben Hunt and Amone (my pick to wear the #6), Hunt become the real elder statesman. Removing Norman will help our attack no end, and shifting Sims to another role will also help.

Our biggest area of concern is service of the ball from dummy half and the spread thereafter. This should be our mantra next year, get the ball out to these young guns asap, not let us linger with lumbering forwards with 1 out hit-ups.
I am concerned with the idea that Sloan is our option for 2022. He may be our fullback long term, but I feel he won't be ready in early 2022.

I would snap up Curtis Scott for at least season 2022. He is a talented centre and still very young. I'd say he would make a good centre combination with Suli.

So, a Lomax move to fullback until Sloan is ready.

Our back 5 which used to be our week link over recent years could now be a force in the competition. Players big fast and skillbul:
1. Lomax
2. Matt Feagai
3. Suli
4. Scott
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Hunt

SnowDragon

Juniors
I am concerned with the idea that Sloan is our option for 2022. He may be our fullback long term, but I feel he won't be ready in early 2022.

I would snap up Curtis Scott for at least season 2022. He is a talented centre and still very young. I'd say he would make a good centre combination with Suli.

So, a Lomax move to fullback until Sloan is ready.

Our back 5 which used to be our week link over recent years could now be a force in the competition. Players big fast and skillbul:
1. Lomax
2. Matt Feagai
3. Suli
4. Scott
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Hunt
I appreciate your views as always, even if I personally think they aren’t always realistic ;)

personally I think Sloan should be given some development time.we need to support such guys enough to see what contract they deserve long term/ Curtis Scott has talent, may be worth a punt (I have no idea) but given our status why would we throw money at a guy like that unless he really gives us a reason.

ps I’d prefer a lower finish in 2022 if it build the dragons.

Maddragon99

Juniors

The article is a bit of a beat up but there’s no doubt other clubs are closely following our junior pathways

George Dragon

Juniors
The article is a bit of a beat up but there’s no doubt other clubs are closely following our junior pathways

Let's rip this clickbait site apart.
For starters I doubt they even know what positions the kids play let alone why we let them go.

I don't think Wishart or Riolo will be a loss, Toby is a good half but let's look who we have.
After Amone and Sullivan we have Trey Barlow who played SG ball
Then we have Kynan Clough the half and captain of Steelers Matts team.
We have signed Kade Reed who will be our next Matts half.

For every player who leaves I could name 3 we have signed.
It's not so much other clubs watching us but managers doing their job spuiking unsigned players to other clubs.

Last edited:

The Word

Juniors
Let's rip this clickbait site apart.
For starters I doubt they even know what positions the kids play let alone why we let them go.

I don't think Wishart or Riolo will be a loss, Toby is a good half but let's look who we have.
After Amone and Sullivan with have Trey Barlow who played SG ball
Then we have Kynan Clough the half and captain of Steelers Matts team.
We have signed Kade Reed who will be our next Matts half.

For every player who leaves I could name 3 we have signed.
It's not so much other clubs watching us but managers doing their job spuiking unsigned players to other clubs.
That’s good to hear.

Trifili13

Juniors
Rodwell, a centre, played 156 games for the Steelers between 1989 and 1997, and also played once for New South Wales during a glittering career.

Saying that Rodwell had a glittering career by having played 156 games for Illawarra and 1 SOO shows you the quality of the journalist that wrote the article. If that's a glittering career, what would he have said about someone who actually won something and played for Australia.

The Villain

Juniors
Rodwell, a centre, played 156 games for the Steelers between 1989 and 1997, and also played once for New South Wales during a glittering career.

Saying that Rodwell had a glittering career by having played 156 games for Illawarra and 1 SOO shows you the quality of the journalist that wrote the article. If that's a glittering career, what would he have said about someone who actually won something and played for Australia.
Rodwell was a damn good centre. Exceptional even. Just happened to be competing with players like O’Connor, Daley, McGregor, McGaw, Ettingshausen, Fittler. They were all pretty good.

Trifili13

Juniors
Rodwell was a damn good centre. Exceptional even. Just happened to be competing with players like O’Connor, Daley, McGregor, McGaw, Ettingshausen, Fittler. They were all pretty good.
Agree that he was a good solid centre. Just saying that he did not have a glittering career. The guys you mentioned had glittering careers, all represented their state and country on numerous occasions and some even won GFs.

The Villain

Juniors
Agree that he was a good solid centre. Just saying that he did not have a glittering career. The guys you mentioned had glittering careers, all represented their state and country on numerous occasions and some even won GFs.
“All that is gold does not glitter”

possm

Coach
I agree with you 100% re Burgess assuming he’s fully fit for round 1 he’ll be one of our starting props. Watching Souths play & seeing Tom Burgess constantly bend the line was awesome, if George can do the same we’ll all be very happy.

For mine Lawrie is the other starter with Molo Woods/Kerr/Alvaro/Faamausili fighting for the other bench spot.
Well I'm sorry to say that I don't rate Lawrie. I think he now has Molo, Burgess, and Woods ahead of him in the prop rotation.