What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

Redhoopz

Juniors
Lawrie has ticker something I have always felt was lacking in Sharon Woods
Lawrie has probably been the most consistent forward over the last two seasons. He has had his moments in defense, but if you look at all our forwards, he's been our best.

Carlton

Juniors
Lawrie has probably been the most consistent forward over the last two seasons. He has had his moments in defense, but if you look at all our forwards, he's been our best.
Im not running down your opinion but in my view Lawrie has been one of the reasons we have a soft pack with little impact. He does not make many meters in attack, does not bend the line, gets turtled in the tackle and has a very slow play the ball. In defence he gets caught getting up on the wrong side of the tackle, gives away too many last tackle six agains close to our line, is slow and immobile in defence and generally his defence is not dominant.

He has his moments of good play but overall he looks like a park footballer to me.

Spazer

Juniors
Lawrie has been solid, has great line speed and is good at firing up our soft pack, something graham instilled in him. Though I agree he can be slow around the ruck at times, needs that extra bit of mobility for sure. I don’t know about putting woods and burgess ahead of him, we will see.

Nich

Juniors
Lawrie has been solid, has great line speed and is good at firing up our soft pack, something graham instilled in him. Though I agree he can be slow around the ruck at times, needs that extra bit of mobility for sure. I don’t know about putting woods and burgess ahead of him, we will see.
I agree Lawrie has been solid and played without much support from our older more experienced forwards. Most of our forwards with more natural ability, size and skill could learn a lot from Lawires efforts.

The Word

Juniors

Not sure if this has been shared or not yet, but an interesting article showing Woods was fifth in terms of post-contact metres for the season. I know stats don't tell you the full story, and I know he's a bit on the slow side, but that kind of drive in the tackle is pretty useful to have in the squad at the kind of money people seem to be quoting.

If it takes that extra defender to bring down the likes of Woods and Burgess, surely that's got to be gold dust for our young backs to have a bit of extra space to do their thing?

Redhoopz

Juniors
Im not running down your opinion but in my view Lawrie has been one of the reasons we have a soft pack with little impact. He does not make many meters in attack, does not bend the line, gets turtled in the tackle and has a very slow play the ball. In defence he gets caught getting up on the wrong side of the tackle, gives away too many last tackle six agains close to our line, is slow and immobile in defence and generally his defence is not dominant.

He has his moments of good play but overall he looks like a park footballer to me.
I agree with your points. Like I said, he's been the best forward at our club over the last few seasons. I don't think he's that bad in defence though, it's only once he's fatigued that the errors creep in - he's not alone with that.

He's still young and hopefully with the new signings, he will be more effective.

Gareth67

First Grade
The wrongs of our forwards whether that be Lawrie or any of the newbies need to be sorted out by Griffin and his assistants ASAP . Season 2022 cannot be a rehash of the same overheated leftovers of the previous years .

The Dragons need to play with full effort and commitment in their games . I don’t care if Griffin force’s them to watch replays of Penrith , rorters or lawd forbid , Storm matches .

Our forwards must hunt as a organized pack the same as the top tier teams do . Their logic should be to put everything into their game - including defense whilst they are on the field .

Doing their best will not suffice , Griffo needs to take a leaf from the true maestro of the game - none other than Wayne Bennett and inspire his troops to greater heights and use whatever means are available to do it .

epDragon62

First Grade
The wrongs of our forwards whether that be Lawrie or any of the newbies need to be sorted out by Griffin and his assistants ASAP . Season 2022 cannot be a rehash of the same overheated leftovers of the previous years .

The Dragons need to play with full effort and commitment in their games . I don’t care if Griffin force’s them to watch replays of Penrith , rorters or lawd forbid , Storm matches .

Our forwards must hunt as a organized pack the same as the top tier teams do . Their logic should be to put everything into their game - including defense whilst they are on the field .

Doing their best will not suffice , Griffo needs to take a leaf from the true maestro of the game - none other than Wayne Bennett and inspire his troops to greater heights and use whatever means are available to do it .
Including the use of a cattle prod at training if that's what it takes 😉

Our guys probably need a bit of old fashioned run 'til you drop training to get them used to fatigue ... not sure where I heard the view that this is a problem with modern-day experts overmanaging players but I think it was in relation to Turbo's hammies.

kit66

Bench

Not sure if this has been shared or not yet, but an interesting article showing Woods was fifth in terms of post-contact metres for the season. I know stats don't tell you the full story, and I know he's a bit on the slow side, but that kind of drive in the tackle is pretty useful to have in the squad at the kind of money people seem to be quoting.

If it takes that extra defender to bring down the likes of Woods and Burgess, surely that's got to be gold dust for our young backs to have a bit of extra space to do their thing?

In a top list of 36 players not a single Dragon within cooee.
People underestimate the worth of a big tall body or two in your pack, they're hard to pull down, let alone stop and they are usually very good at getting away off-loads, Woods, Klemmer, Solomona, the Burgeii all have these abilities. It's a real shame we haven't put more faith (and work) into Josh Kerr and utilized him more wisely.

Gareth67

First Grade
Including the use of a cattle prod at training if that's what it takes 😉

Our guys probably need a bit of old fashioned run 'til you drop training to get them used to fatigue ... not sure where I heard the view that this is a problem with modern-day experts overmanaging players but I think it was in relation to Turbo's hammies.

Ouch ! That will certainly get them moving in the right direction epDr62 . Undoubtedly you are a man that understands that the complexities of downright laziness can be cured by a swift kick up the bum .

Next occasion there is a vacancy in our coaching ranks please apply . ☺️

hewi

Bench
Wow, big boy. Not sure we need another centre , we certainly have some size for next season. I assume he could play a wide running back rower also, does this spell trouble for Burns as I heard rumours he had been told he could look else where.

kit66

Bench
Apparently we have signed tau tau moga

4 knee reconstructions, assault charges, 1 complete season from 9, what are we offering him, 10 bucks a game and all the oranges he can eat. He better be for reserves only and not in our top 30 otherwise I'm going to be very cross.