What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

TruSaint

Referee
4 knee reconstructions, assault charges, 1 complete season from 9, what are we offering him, 10 bucks a game and all the oranges he can eat. He better be for reserves only and not in our top 30 otherwise I'm going to be very cross.

He's part of the 30 man squad as far as I can tell.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Im not running down your opinion but in my view Lawrie has been one of the reasons we have a soft pack with little impact. He does not make many meters in attack, does not bend the line, gets turtled in the tackle and has a very slow play the ball. In defence he gets caught getting up on the wrong side of the tackle, gives away too many last tackle six agains close to our line, is slow and immobile in defence and generally his defence is not dominant.

He has his moments of good play but overall he looks like a park footballer to me.
I think it's his fitness. Great in the first 5 minutes, then nothing.

jackyboi90

Juniors
According to Fox Sports journo George Clarke, Jack Gosiewski is close to signing a one-year-deal with the Dragons.

Link:

We have signed another reject.. a big centre from Souths. Do we really need centres. Having picked up Suli, Lomax is a lock.. and we have the Feagai brothers. Over 105 ks perhaps an edge forward?

Carlton

Juniors
Griffin has signed alot of size, right across the park. Looks like he is trying to fix the lack of go forward and the teams ineffectiveness in stopping the oppositions attack making easy metres.

I dont think this is his final team by a long shot but, I think it is putting in place a base with some areas to be improved when the players become available. In the meantime first grade quality players (not stars) are being signed on short contracts, for little money, to fill the gaps.

Will this all work? I hope so but, the thing that I am happiest about is that it looks like there is a plan to build a roster with an eye to the future. Its a jigsaw thats starting to take shape.

Changa

Juniors
Griffin has signed alot of size, right across the park. Looks like he is trying to fix the lack of go forward and the teams ineffectiveness in stopping the oppositions attack making easy metres.

I dont think this is his final team by a long shot but, I think it is putting in place a base with some areas to be improved when the players become available. In the meantime first grade quality players (not stars) are being signed on short contracts, for little money, to fill the gaps.

Will this all work? I hope so but, the thing that I am happiest about is that it looks like there is a plan to build a roster with an eye to the future. Its a jigsaw thats starting to take shape.

Agree with this, these players will fill gaps. We lost a couple of games last year purely because we were forced to play guys out of position due to lack of depth. Kerr on the edge, Burns/Fui at centre, JDB at prop and McGuire even at 9.

Hook is signing 1st grade ready players to make sure that doesn't happen again next year with these 'depth' signings. They're not the premiership quality players we lack, but at least they're a step in the right direction and cheap.

hewi

Bench
Short term contracts creates hungry players wanting to impress which means pressure on the incumbents to perform better to keep their positions. I like where we are heading, with the likes of Suli and Moga we have a couple of beasts who can terrorise opposing sides on their day. Can’t wait for the Charity shield.

kit66

Bench
According to Fox Sports journo George Clarke, Jack Gosiewski is close to signing a one-year-deal with the Dragons.

Link:

Oh great, another 27 year old with major injury concerns and really poor defence. And look he's a 2nd rower, we need those.

Dragons are like some out of control juggernaut semi being driven by a pissed chimpanzee who's lost his brakes coming down Mount Ousley but thinks it's all gonna work out fine.

Tomorrow we're releasing Ben Hunt and offering Isaac Luke a multi-million dollar 3 year deal to play fullback.

The Word

Juniors
Short term contracts creates hungry players wanting to impress which means pressure on the incumbents to perform better to keep their positions. I like where we are heading, with the likes of Suli and Moga we have a couple of beasts who can terrorise opposing sides on their day. Can’t wait for the Charity shield.
Agree. Short term contracts also minimise risk. We are taking chances on a few players and if they don't work out for one reason or another, they can simply be moved on, rather than damaging our future salary cap. Hopefully though some of these guys fulfill their potential and get re-signed. Imagine if players like Burgess, Moga, Suli, Woods, got back somewhere near their best, we could potentially mix it with the big boys. If I was Sloan, Sullivan and Amone, I would be chomping at the bit right now.

kit66

Bench
Agree. Short term contracts also minimise risk. We are taking chances on a few players and if they don't work out for one reason or another, they can simply be moved on, rather than damaging our future salary cap. Hopefully though some of these guys fulfill their potential and get re-signed. Imagine if players like Burgess, Moga, Suli, Woods, got back somewhere near their best, we could potentially mix it with the big boys. If I was Sloan, Sullivan and Amone, I would be chomping at the bit right now.

Or..............we could buy fit, healthy, useful players who are known consistent performers, the odd gun even. Young would be good or a couple of older,hard and experienced leaders to inspire and guide our younger lads. How about that for a strategy. Imagine all the fans, living life in peace.....