What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Team

Woosh

Head Moderator
So the big question mark is does Pearce remains at halfback or should the Knights move him in the off-season?
If that happens, is it time to give the young pup from England a go at fullback and hope he can be as effective as Reece Walsh/Blake Taaffe and move Ponga to 6?
Or should the Knights use the Pearce’s money to buy a ready made fullback?
Someone like Charnze could be moved on if the Raiders go with Savage at fullback.
Does Gagai play left centre and push Best to the right or should Gagai just play wing?
Is Mann the 14 or is O’Brien going to find a spot for him in the starting side?
Talk is they are trying to turn Crossland into the bench utility.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
This would be my side for round 1, 2022 assuming everyone’s fit (no guarantee of that of course)

1. Ponga
2. Tuala
3. Best
4. Gagai
5. Hunt
6. Clifford
7. Pearce
8. JSaf
9. Brailey
10. DSaf
11. Frizell
12. Jones
13. Barnett

14. Mann
15. Sue
16. Klemmer
17. Momoisea/Saulo

As you can see I’ve stuck mainly with what our existing team looks like. I think we need to keep Pearce for next year given we don’t have a better option in our squad, it’s not like he‘s holding back some gun youngster right now and the halves market is pretty bare right now, hence Chad Townsend is apparently worth $800K.

I’m sure plenty won’t agree with me on this but I’ve got Mann in the side, albeit on the bench. I think the “Watson” role at 14 will suit him far better than any of the other positions he’s played in the last couple of years. He can run the ball up through the ruck and bounce out of tackles and case some headaches for tired defenders and at least he won’t need to make defensive decisions on the edge anymore.

Our second row does look a bit short of options at the moment but hopefully we sign someone soon. Also I’m not super keen on Jones starting but if it come down to him or Fitz I’d take Jones at this stage given he’s at least way less prone to momentum killing errors.

I’ve got Momoisea or Saulo in that last bench position as now that King is gone they can fight it out over the pre season.

I’m hoping that we pick up a second rower who can force Jones to the bench and another outside back (maybe keeping Lee) who can improve our backline depth.

Yosh

Coach
1. Hodgson
2. Tuala
3. Gagai (left)
4. Best (right)
5. Hunt

6. Ponga (left)
7. Clifford (right)

8. Dan
9. Brailey
10. Jacob
11. New Signing
12. Tyson
13. Barnett

14. Crossland (anyone not Mann)
15. Klemmer
16. Momoisea
17. Sue

I hope we can sign a left backrower who can make a difference.

perverse

Referee
God this forum is schizophrenic and super reactive sometimes (myself included too, I'm sure). We don't even get a sniff of finals footy this year without Pearce. He plays in the 7 next year, and we look for opportunities to blood Hodgson for 5-10 games in the year. If Hodgson nails down a spot or explodes onto the scene, then we worry about what we need to do with the halves and Ponga.

There's no need or sense in throwing away an option that we know can get us by week to week for completely unknown quantities until they are proven. We're not in a dumb and desperate situation like we were when we ran out and banked on prospects like Beau Henry from day 1 of his arrival. We know we need to transition into post-Pearce life, but do it smartly and proactively, instead of reactively. Follow a plan instead of freaking out about a bad game.

Just take a bit of a breath and think about what the smartest thing to do for the development of the NEXT generation is.

Old dog

Juniors
This would be my side for round 1, 2022 assuming everyone’s fit (no guarantee of that of course)

1. Ponga
2. Tuala
3. Best
4. Gagai
5. Hunt
6. Clifford
7. Pearce
8. JSaf
9. Brailey
10. DSaf
11. Frizell
12. Jones
13. Barnett

14. Mann
15. Sue
16. Klemmer
17. Momoisea/Saulo

As you can see I’ve stuck mainly with what our existing team looks like. I think we need to keep Pearce for next year given we don’t have a better option in our squad, it’s not like he‘s holding back some gun youngster right now and the halves market is pretty bare right now, hence Chad Townsend is apparently worth $800K.

I’m sure plenty won’t agree with me on this but I’ve got Mann in the side, albeit on the bench. I think the “Watson” role at 14 will suit him far better than any of the other positions he’s played in the last couple of years. He can run the ball up through the ruck and bounce out of tackles and case some headaches for tired defenders and at least he won’t need to make defensive decisions on the edge anymore.

Our second row does look a bit short of options at the moment but hopefully we sign someone soon. Also I’m not super keen on Jones starting but if it come down to him or Fitz I’d take Jones at this stage given he’s at least way less prone to momentum killing errors.

I’ve got Momoisea or Saulo in that last bench position as now that King is gone they can fight it out over the pre season.

I’m hoping that we pick up a second rower who can force Jones to the bench and another outside back (maybe keeping Lee) who can improve our backline depth.
Sue suspended rounds 1 & 2

Old dog

Juniors
Pearce has shown nothing/very little since back from injury, wasn’t great before it, time may have caught up and it seems he is not ready to let go. Got my doubts about him for 2022 unless he is carrying injuries he can overcome. Get Clune and Crossland ready as they are better options at 7 than Hodgson at 1 who hasn’t been tried but might be ok in future.

Yosh

Coach
Looks like a team doesn't even need to win half the games a season to get into the finals. Why bother with Pearce? Why not give the whole season for someone like Hodgson to adjust?

If we can't make the finals without Pearce, there's no point making them at all because we will bow out round 1 and only be there to make up the numbers.

If Hodgson really is as good as some people are suggesting, he will be fine in a spine of Brailey, Ponga and Clifford. He doesn't need to be the superstar, just do his role.

Im very against playing Pearce next year if Hodgson is anywhere near first grade ready.

Alex28

Coach
I think Pearce will find an offer to go elsewhere for 2 years - Raiders, Tigers… we’ll use the cash to get a back rower.

If Mitch at least went for a run or two yesterday I’d feel better about him. He is a good ball runner and scores often enough by running close to the line. When we needed him most there was absolutely no sign of that. Not a single run.

Clifford can do that with a better kicking game, and we have Ponga next to him. Could be really exciting - the making of both of them.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I don't know about for Round 1 but I'm pretty keen to see Ponga at 6 again.

He'll be better than last time there. This year a lot of his best work has been when he gets the ball first receiver on the front foot from Brailey, especially when he can go to the line with speed and footwork down the blind side and also count numbers. I had to agree with Matty Johns analysis a while ago that running off block plays at fullback doesn't always work for him and negates a lot of his instinctive play. That or just our decoy execution is woeful (probably this too)

Last edited:

Knight Tales

Juniors
Pearce stays. While yes he has hardly set the world alight for us in finals, we have no better option right now. The best thing to do is maybe in trials next year, we experiment with Jake and KP in halves and give Bailey a run at FB. There is every chance Pearce leaves if he gets the right offer though and we can get a decent outcome for ourselves. The only player I would consider swapping him for is a legit gun edge backrower.
If KP goes to the halves it will take time and work to see If he is better playing first or second receiver and is a 7 or a 6. He has not really been given enough time there cos it didn’t work immediately in 2019, and all we heard was he needed to return immediately to fullback. Was probably the only call back then but now we have some talent at fullback emerging that could all change.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
We will never win a premiership with a 86 year old Pearce at half. At best we get a 6-8th finish and drop out week 2 of the finals. Is that progress? Seems like a big waste of time.

In a competiton with no relagation/promotion system, we should either be in a (short) rebuild or be in a premiership window. With Pearce, we are neither next year.

Use next year as a short rebuild and try to get a premium strike edge backrower and a skilful modern middle forward for 2023. Use next year to figure out combinations in the spine with Hodgson at the back and Ponga in six. Then put in a real push in 2023 onwards.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Bailey played 1 game at Castleford cos he was just 18 when he debuted and we already had signed him. He was never getting thrown into first grade unless there was no other choice. I understand the apprehension but many pundits are saying this kid is very special indeed. He is small. But Hayden Knowles will have his conditioning pathway now, and that is about as elite as it gets for training him to be FG ready. Look at Panthers. Even the smaller players like Edwards and Korisau are a constant threat both at the line and running holes.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Pearce can’t take us to a premiership but unproven 19 year old fullback with 5 games of reserve grade undoubtably will.

A unproven 19 year old fullback with 5 games of reserve grade probably can't take us to premiership glory. BUT, a 21 year old fullback with 3 seasons of first grade under his belt with a halves pairing of Clifford and Ponga in front of him, hopefully can.

So let's get that process started as soon as possible.

Yosh

Coach
Does that process include missing the finals in 2022?

If we can be a premiership force from 2023 onwards for a decade or more, does missing the finals in 2022 matter? What's the difference between coming 7th and dropping out week 1 of the finals and finishing 9th to 16th? We are literally there making up the numbers.

The competition is basically made so that only the minor and major premiership matters. Everything else is the same. I would rather go through some temporary pain for gain than years and years of mediocracy again...