What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
:joy::joy: no one will pay $25 a month just for NRL

I would for a service that included RL from around the world, NRL and some decent shows. Reality is I'm about to switch to Kayo and only watch NRL and F1 so basically paying that now.

IF Fox is only paying $125mill a year then that would equal 520,000 subscribers at $20 per month.
IF Fox are paying $200mil a year its 835,000 subscribers
Advertising would more than cover production costs.

Last edited:

Cactus

Juniors
Paywalled

AFL close to extending TV deal with Seven as Foxtel holds out for discount

The AFL is on the brink of securing a two-year extension of its television rights deal with Seven West Media at a reduced price but pay TV operator Foxtel is holding out for an even bigger discount.

Multiple media industry sources who requested anonymity because the negotiations are confidential told The Age that Seven is seeking a cost reduction on its current deal in exchange for a two year extension that would give the AFL more financial certainty in a weakening economy.

Foxtel, Seven and Telstra secured a $2.5 billion six year deal with the AFL in 2015 that runs until 2022. Seven's two year extension would take its deal with the AFL out to 2024.Seven, which is controlled by billionaire Kerry Stokes, is aiming to save between $30 million and $40 million on its AFL rights bill this year based on a 22 to 23 per cent reduction in games played this season, sources said.

A pro-rata payment based on an 153-game season along with finals, previously reported by The Age, is at the foundation of the re-negotiation but sources also indicated Seven was also looking to suspend the three per cent annual inflation rate included in the deal.

Seven was expected to pay about $150 million to the AFL this year under its existing deal.

Both Seven and Foxtel have been facing significant financial challenges in a tough environment for media companies that predates the coronavirus pandemic. The broadcasters believe AFL games this year have lost significant value due to the absence of crowds and reduced lengths of games, but AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan is still expected to drive a hard bargain in the negotiations.

In an indication of how tightly held the negotiations have been, Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett, a member of the AFL's 'war cabinet' during the COVID-19 pandemic, said he had "no idea" about the situation. "I have no idea. We haven't been taken into the AFL's confidence," Kennett said.

Seven and Foxtel declined to comment.

Seven, which booked a $66 million half-year loss in in February, has net debt of $541.5 million and chief executive James Warburton has been looking to slash costs across the business.

The AFL currently costs Seven about $20 million to produce annually, but that figure would be reduced in the interim due to talent being unable to fly interstate and reduced staff on site during matches.

Foxtel, which is controlled by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, has also been battling subscriber losses amid fierce competition from streaming services. News Corp wrote down the value of the business by $1.3 billion in May.

The pay TV provider is holding out for an even larger reduction on its AFL rights costs than Seven to account for the loss of games and subscriptions to its set top box and sports streaming service, Kayo.

Foxtel, which contributed about $1.3 billion to the AFL deal in 2015, now believes it overpaid, sources said.

The company has stood down more than 200 staff and axed more than 300 jobs in the last few months due to the suspension of sport and large falls in spending from advertisers due to COVID-19.

In recent years media executives have publicly disputed the large amounts they have paid for sport, which in many cases acts as a loss leader for other programming. They argue production costs they incur in addition to rights fees cannot be recouped up in advertising dollars.

The AFL will return on June 11.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/af...l-holds-out-for-discount-20200604-p54znm.html

franklin2323

Immortal
I would for a service that included RL from around the world, NRL and some decent shows. Reality is I'm about to switch to Kayo and only watch NRL and F1 so basically paying that now.

IF Fox is only paying $125mill a year then that would equal 520,000 subscribers at $20 per month.
IF Fox are paying $200mil a year its 835,000 subscribers
Advertising would more than cover production costs.

And what do they show in the off season?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hope it's a Yankee army style haircut.

They seem to be talking 15-20%.
And what do they show in the off season?

Run the RL season till December 1st then starts up again in Feb. Sure there is a 3 month gap, that you may lose some subscribers during but NRL could get creative and actually give fans what they want to see during the off season from the archives. Elite One in France runs over that period for some live content.
You could look at some Nines comps over summer for yet more live content.

I guess thats the beauty of being your own master, you can control what content when. No more pandering to Thursday nights, monday nights or 6pm Fridays. Not every game has to be in a separate slot, most fans want to see their own club live and then the big games or passing interest in the others. Digicell, SL, Championship RL, Qland cup and NSW cup games, could be an absolute smorgasboard of RL games to choose from. Partnership woth RFL to have a joint streaming service in both countries freeing up the RFL from the clutches of Sky TV, growth in Nth America SL teams providing another subscription bonanza. Expansion in both hemispheres could be driven by subscription increases and time slot opportunities. The opportunities are endless.

taipan

Referee
They seem to be talking 15-20%.

Run the RL season till December 1st then starts up again in Feb. Sure there is a 3 month gap, that you may lose some subscribers during but NRL could get creative and actually give fans what they want to see during the off season from the archives. Elite One in France runs over that period for some live content.
You could look at some Nines comps over summer for yet more live content.

I guess thats the beauty of being your own master, you can control what content when. No more pandering to Thursday nights, monday nights or 6pm Fridays. Not every game has to be in a separate slot, most fans want to see their own club live and then the big games or passing interest in the others. Digicell, SL, Championship RL, Qland cup and NSW cup games, could be an absolute smorgasboard of RL games to choose from. Partnership woth RFL to have a joint streaming service in both countries freeing up the RFL from the clutches of Sky TV, growth in Nth America SL teams providing another subscription bonanza. Expansion in both hemispheres could be driven by subscription increases and time slot opportunities. The opportunities are endless.

Whatever the percentage, they (AFL)are talking a cut and even 15-20% of a bigger Tv deal is a decent cut.If that happens then V'Landys will have been vindicated by his TV deal.

I feel sure when negotiations with Fox were on, they would have made it perfectly clear, that the NRL would not be the only sporting code using their platform ,to take a financial hit.
And ditto with ch7 .
What is going on on the business world now, is to be shared by everyone.

Whatever the percentage, they (AFL)are talking a cut and even 15-20% of a bigger Tv deal is a decent cut.If that happens then V'Landys will have been vindicated by his TV deal.

I feel sure when negotiations with Fox were on, they would have made it perfectly clear, that the NRL would not be the only sporting code using their platform ,to take a financial hit.
And ditto with ch7 .

See if you can guess who I am?
Lol no
There's no reason to take a reduction ....( I hate PVL & will continue to rant about how bad he is no matter what he does) .
There's nothing different now going on in the world to 6 months ago.
He was bent over by his mates at Fox
We should have gone to court( with little $$ to fight)
Afl good NRl bad
Afl good
Afl good
I will rant about the deal even though I don't know the realities of the $$ .
I will rant about what happened in the discussions even though I dont know what happened .

colly

Juniors

And ditto with ch7 .

Following on from your post a story revealing large cuts to AFL Players salary of 50% for the rest of the year. Bank loans of 600 million- Questions being asked about 18 teams.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...lachlan-s-huge-debt-call-20200605-p55010.html

""The decision on how much debt the AFL carries and then, most importantly, the time frame for repaying it will have major ramifications, since debt repayments would come at the expense of club distributions, player payments and other costs. The AFL's line of credit allows it to borrow up to $600 million from NAB and ANZ to keep the game afloat.

It is a stance that appears likely to bring debate and potentially opposition from players, who have accepted 50 per cent pay cuts for the rest of this year but are hoping to preserve the most of their pay and conditions for 2021 and 2022, the term of the broadcast deal. Stronger clubs, meanwhile, do not want the cap on football spending to be too restrictive.

McLachlan said the AFL would have 18 clubs in future "full stop". When asked if there was a time frame on guaranteeing the survival of the 18 clubs though, he said nothing was guaranteed indefinitely.""" The age-

Steel Saints

Juniors

And ditto with ch7 .

That is a great point. I am sure Fox has told the NRL they won't be the only code to take a financial hit. If for instance Fox don't receive similar discounts from the AFL for '20, '21 and '22, then the NRL will be pissed off. Add to the fact that the NRL has put live sport back on Fox.

And when 2027 rolls around, due to a lack of trust with Fox, the NRL will be looking elsewhere. So it is in Fox's best interests to look after the NRL during their negotiations with the AFL.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Great just need 799,999 more

It will happen, how did they sell pay TV originally?

How do you think they will keep their customers and sell Binge?

They aren't going to let their business go to the opposition, they will adapt to current and future viewing habits.

Why do you think Greenberg got the arse..............

franklin2323

Immortal
I pay $25 a month for Kayo and only watch NRL on it. To be honest I would pay $50 a month for the privilege of not having to listen to the dribblers on nein. Once the NRL finishes for the year I will cancel Kayo till next season.

If it was NRL run they likely take the FTA coverage to save costs

franklin2323

Immortal
It will happen, how did they sell pay TV originally?

How do you think they will keep their customers and sell Binge?

They aren't going to let their business go to the opposition, they will adapt to current and future viewing habits.

Why do you think Greenberg got the arse..............

Pay TV has more then one thing on it. Hence why Fox went so hard for Cricket. To try and keep those sports customers when there was no NRL or AFL on

Binge is for those that only want the shows and not movies. It like Netflix will
Spread out the new content across the year. An NRL only streaming has no new content between Oct-March and as such would lose money then