What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Iamback

Coach
Bring back Monday to bring in the Fox dollars. Means five days of games but not a problem with more teams as those slots will be spread evenly between the clubs.

Move Friday 6pm to Sunday 6pm (can't believe this isn't permanent). It's a rubbish slot and it's not even good for TV (most people are either stuck on the M4/M5 or on a train platform at this time of day).

No chance, Fox gets 75% of the 8pm Friday night viewers by having it

Wb1234

Referee
Bring back Monday to bring in the Fox dollars. Means five days of games but not a problem with more teams as those slots will be spread evenly between the clubs.

Move Friday 6pm to Sunday 6pm (can't believe this isn't permanent). It's a rubbish slot and it's not even good for TV (most people are either stuck on the M4/M5 or on a train platform at this time of day).
Foxtel like Friday 6 pm as it takes away viewers from nine

I would say it’s played a big part in nines lost viewers to fox

Monday night is something fox would pay a lot for

especially if it’s nz2 then sky nz will be another source of extra revenue

Iamback

Coach
Foxtel like Friday 6 pm as it takes away viewers from nine

I would say it’s played a big part in nines lost viewers to fox

Monday night is something fox would pay a lot for

especially if it’s nz2 then sky nz will be another source of extra revenue

It 100% is. Thurs night FTA isn't too bad, Sunday and Friday are horrible

Wb1234

Referee
It 100% is. Thurs night FTA isn't too bad, Sunday and Friday are horrible
I’m hooked on fox

4 games a year is way too much for nine

it’s going to suck big time if stan gets all the rights even if it means a whole lot more money putting up with their crap coverage

Colk

First Grade
I’m hooked on fox

4 games a year is way too much for nine

it’s going to suck big time if stan gets all the rights even if it means a whole lot more money putting up with their crap coverage

I wouldn’t worry about any of that stuff in any case. There’s always a mute button. I chucked on some vinyl, had a few drinks and watched the GF on mute

Idris 84

Juniors
In theory more as its delivers a separate time slot so an extra X hundred thousand viewers every round. AFL reckoned their ninth game brought in $52million in TV value.
If we can get $30mill for a ninth game on top of the alleged $20mill the 17th club brought in we'd be going ok. Given club grants are going to be $15mill plus, $20mill isnt giving much return.

Yeah that makes sense, it wouldn't be a simple double coz some extra value would also be added by the extra timeslot. Content is king.

docbrown

Coach
Welcome back btw

On this we aren't talking downloading a movie on demand, We are talking trying to stream live Sport in some places sharing with several others

I don't think Australia as a whole has made the changes required, What's changed since Optus had that failed WC? That was a farce and I am not sure 500-600k people streaming a Live sporting event is possible yet
Well for example Kayo has over 1.3 million paid subscribers. They've had 500,000 viewers watch cricket matches whilst running 40 other live streams simultaneously and it has worked. Kayo wouldn't even exist if Foxtel didn't think that satellite and cable were becoming a thing of the past.

docbrown

Coach
They paid for the content with the extra games the Dolphins bring in this contract period. If you added a ninth game and sold it to someone else then they would not get those extra 12 games a year they are paying for. Ergo you cant just sell the ninth game as you please.
The Dolphins added 12 games and additional Brisbane market penetration but it doesn't add a timeslot as it's still 8 games a week. But an 18th team brings not only brings in another 12 games on top of that, it adds a whole new timeslot when we go to 9 games a round. It also opens up a new market - which the NRL would be crazy if they didn't do it in Perth. So yes at that point the value of the 9th game is what the free market pays for it as the non-compete clause doesn't come into effect.

That would be the game that likely adds the most value as it spreads the content to an extra day (so extra day of stories et al). The next best is doing a Sunday evening NFL style 'Football Night in Australia' game and making it the game of the week.

No chance, Fox gets 75% of the 8pm Friday night viewers by having it
I know there was some talk of the NRL trying to get them to swap it for Sunday afternoon and evening games. I'd be impressed if that happened but am doubtful. However, 9 knows that it costs them viewers so the question becomes what does 9 pay at the next negotiation to get it back?

Colk

First Grade
The Dolphins added 12 games and additional Brisbane market penetration but it doesn't add a timeslot as it's still 8 games a week. But an 18th team brings not only brings in another 12 games on top of that, it adds a whole new timeslot when we go to 9 games a round. It also opens up a new market - which the NRL would be crazy if they didn't do it in Perth. So yes at that point the value of the 9th game is what the free market pays for it as the non-compete clause doesn't come into effect.

That would be the game that likely adds the most value as it spreads the content to an extra day (so extra day of stories et al). The next best is doing a Sunday evening NFL style 'Football Night in Australia' game and making it the game of the week.

I know there was some talk of the NRL trying to get them to swap it for Sunday afternoon and evening games. I'd be impressed if that happened but am doubtful. However, 9 knows that it costs them viewers so the question becomes what does 9 pay at the next negotiation to get it back?

Very good summation. I think if you do the Sunday evening timeslot than the 18th side is inevitably Perth (and yes playing all their home games in Perth which is fairly novel)

Also, as you say, it will be interesting to see any potential dispute over the Friday 6pm game.

Iamback

Coach
Well for example Kayo has over 1.3 million paid subscribers. They've had 500,000 viewers watch cricket matches whilst running 40 other live streams simultaneously and it has worked. Kayo wouldn't even exist if Foxtel didn't think that satellite and cable were becoming a thing of the past.

Kayo also has issues, You only need to go onto the game day threads on this website to see the people asking if their feed is freezing.
No doubt it is the future for private use, Not sure Pubs, Clubs and alike would ditch the cable anytime soon
The question would be how do you stream say the horse racing on a TV and the various sport channels on the others? Would that be possible in the time for the next deal, Given how slow we are to adapt here I can't see it

Perth Red

Post Whore
They still couldn't sell the ninth game slot separately to someone else until the next contract though. The current contract has been sold with the 12 games a 17th side brought. If they sold the ninth game to someone else Fox then loses those 12 games and Ch9 the 4 games they are getting from the 17th club entering. Ninth game will only be sold to the existing partners OR in 2028 in a new contract period.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Kayo also has issues, You only need to go onto the game day threads on this website to see the people asking if their feed is freezing.
No doubt it is the future for private use, Not sure Pubs, Clubs and alike would ditch the cable anytime soon
The question would be how do you stream say the horse racing on a TV and the various sport channels on the others? Would that be possible in the time for the next deal, Given how slow we are to adapt here I can't see it
we are talking 2028. A lot can happen streaming and internet development wise in 5 years. I also doubt showing in pubs is in the #1 critieria for NRL, I'm sure if the $'s where worth it they'd not really care about pubs and clubs streaming problems.

Iamback

Coach
we are talking 2028. A lot can happen streaming and internet development wise in 5 years. I also doubt showing in pubs is in the #1 critieria for NRL, I'm sure if the $'s where worth it they'd not really care about pubs and clubs streaming problems.

Of course they care, The clubs are owned by Leagues clubs. It is the one place they can control RL being shown over AFL and other sports

Iamback

Coach
This old article is a good guide as to what can be done in Pubs and Clubs at the moment. Don't think Rugby ended up with a solution, but I have seen the Optus EPL on at several pubs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sm...-to-rugby-s-pub-blackout-20210221-p574gt.html

Perfect example if they can't stream Stan Sports now then what will change in a few years?

As for EPL, They likely have a chromecast or something. It works for one TV but you can't do it on multiple TV's

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perfect example if they can't stream Stan Sports now then what will change in a few years?

As for EPL, They likely have a chromecast or something. It works for one TV but you can't do it on multiple TV's
Never tried it but couldn't you have one feed into a box then a multiple hdmi splitter out to various screens? That way your only using bandwidth of one stream in?

Idris 84

Juniors
Just thinking in the 'catching up' terms though. Say the extra game is +30 mill, on top of what has already been given as +20 mill for the dolphins. For the next contract that is something like + 30 NRL. However, the AFL are going to bring in Tasmania (Just looking that's slated as 2027) when our new deal will be about to start, so that's + 20 for their additional 12 games too.

So effectively, wouldn't we only be gaining + 10 mill on the competition anyway (+30 - 20)?

That might be why New Zealand may be preferred, because you could get the extra 30 mill from fox, then extra millions from sky as well, if it's their own local team.

Regardless, I think after the embarrassment recently, Vlandy's will wanna maximise dollars. What extra he wants to sell off to achieve this we'd hope would strike the right balance between dollars and what's good for the fans.

Latest posts