What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major expansion U-turn is needed

How’s that working out?

genuine question as I don’t follow Aussie rules.
Brisbane Lions are handing out free tickets, despite being grand finalists last year ans sitting at the top of the ladder for years. Attendances are about 27k in Brisbane. TV ratings in Brisbane are about 48k for Lions and around 30k or less for games not involving them. There's a out 34k registered players across Queensland.

Queensland has been flooded with immigrants from Victoria over the last 40 years. It has helped the game grow.

Brian potter

Bench
Brisbane Lions are handing out free tickets, despite being grand finalists last year ans sitting at the top of the ladder for years. Attendances are about 27k in Brisbane. TV ratings in Brisbane are about 48k for Lions and around 30k or less for games not involving them. There's a out 34k registered players across Queensland.

Queensland has been flooded with immigrants from Victoria over the last 40 years. It has helped the game grow.
No threat to RL but theyve carved out a small niche market.

No threat to RL but theyve carved out a small niche market.
It's taken them several decades and millions of dollars to carve out a small niche. On top of that they had the fortune of being played in Queensland at least twenty years before rugby league was introduced in 1909. Strong interstate immigration trends from Victoria over four decades has definitely helped them carve out a niche.

Brian potter

Bench
It's taken them several decades and millions of dollars to carve out a small niche. On top of that they had the fortune of being played in Queensland at least twenty years before rugby league was introduced in 1909. Strong interstate immigration trends from Victoria over four decades has definitely helped them carve out a niche.
I think with the broncos, dolphins and to a lesser extent the titans will see RL remain as king in south east Queensland along with potentially another NRL Queensland 5 team in the Brisbane/south east Queensland region.

I think with the broncos, dolphins and to a lesser extent the titans will see RL remain as king in south east Queensland along with potentially another NRL Queensland 5 team in the Brisbane/south east Queensland region.
There's definitely an appetite for another team in SEQ. I would be surprised if it doesn't get another one within the next decade.

Latest posts