What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Challenge Cup

I love listening to English Rugby League fans chanting, it makes a better atmosphere!
You need to hear Swinton fans warbling "Take me home Station Road". To the tune of John Denver's Country Roads.

Poignant, heart-rending and with a hint of homicidal intent towards certain former owners of the club.

Brian potter

Bench
Two amazing semi finals with the underdogs taking the final spots. Hull KR v Leigh, what every neutral was hoping for! Well done to both clubs, outstanding performances.
Should see a good following from both clubs down to London.

you going mate?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Little bit of CC trivia: The last time a Challenge Cup did not involve either Wigan, Saints, Leeds or Warrington was the Cas v Rovers final of 1986.

jason taylor

Bench
I took the opportunity and went. Fantastic match. The crowd was unreal (I was near the KR end, who were probably both more numerous and more boisterous).

Watching RL at Wembley is definitely an experience worth doing for any fan of the sport.

jason taylor

Bench
Wembley and London is losing its appeal as a final venue choice due to cost imo.

58,000 in attendance. Last Wembley final was 62,000 in 2019. (Capacity is 90,000 to give an idea). It was 52,000 last year at the Hotspur’s stadium. (Capacity of 60,000). So going to Wembley still holds a traditional appeal in itself.

I think one of the main issues is transport links from the north down to London. The motorway was apparently a nightmare yesterday and there was a railway strike. (Plus I agree with you, the costs of that travel isn’t getting any cheaper).

Ticket costs to the match itself were actually not too bad, it’s all the other associated costs that start to rack up.

Also I question the viability of the 1895 cup. (That was played after the Challenge Cup). If you want to talk about spare seats, one should see the crowd for that.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Great to see Leigh win. Got up to watch last night and enjoyed seeing the celebrations in the crowd after an entertaining event. Very happy for those fans old and new of Leigh, bit of a fairytale.

I wouldn’t even entertain moving the match from Wembley. Just do what needs to be done to move that figure upwards next year.

TDD91

Juniors
I think one of the main issues is transport links from the north down to London. The motorway was apparently a nightmare yesterday and there was a railway strike. (Plus I agree with you, the costs of that travel isn’t getting any cheaper).

No strikes yesterday, just some cancellations because of drivers not wanting to work on their days off. (I work on the railway and would definitely notice if I was on strike)

The crash on the M1 however was bad, thousands caught up in it and reportedly a couple of Hull KR fans lost their lives in it.