What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Comp Structure

Dogs Of War

Coach
I can't understand why only one team would be admitted. How does the NRL 'sell' a bye to a team for round 1? I think we can guess that the round 1 bye team will be either Raiders (my team), the Warriors or the Titans. But now with 4 teams in Qld maybe they'll have Titans in a Qld derby in round 1?

As the Dolphins are requesting to play the Roosters in round 1 2023. I think they may go differently. That said I'd expect the NRL to spread the QLD rivalry games throughout the season to ensure they get max coverage.

big hit!

Bench
As the Dolphins are requesting to play the Roosters in round 1 2023. I think they may go differently. That said I'd expect the NRL to spread the QLD rivalry games throughout the season to ensure they get max coverage.

They've been in the comp 2 mins and haven't even played a game yet, but they're dictating their fixture? f**k off!

If they want the opening match of season 2023, they can play the 2022 premiers!

Besides, the NRL would be f**kwits to consider any derby in round 1. It's opening weekend, folks will be gagging for footy. Save derbies for rd 2 or 3 onwards.

They've been in the comp 2 mins and haven't even played a game yet, but they're dictating their fixture? f**k off!

Besides, the NRL would be f**kwits to consider any derby in round 1. It's opening weekend, folks will be gagging for footy. Save derbies for rd 2 or 3 onwards.
They put a request in. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

Valheru

Coach

Chill

They have put in a request in to play the roosters in round 1 and there is logic behind it.

Have they asked for the opening game of the season? I wouldn't want a Thursday if I were them.

What's the Roosters/Redcliffe connection?
Posted this article in the Redcliffe thread which seems to be closed atm.

The NRL is already salivating at the prospect of kicking off the 2023 season with a Dolphins-Broncos blockbuster, but the league’s newest team hopes to instead play the Roosters first-up for the Arthur Beetson Cup.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo has indicated the code’s latest local derby, which will generate huge interest when former Broncos coach Wayne Bennett officially joins the Dolphins, is the ideal way to begin round one.

While the Dolphins, grateful to have been granted the game’s 17th licence, won’t quibble about the draw, their preference is for the Roosters to be their first opponent. The clubs have a shared history through the late, great Arthur Beetson, the rugby league Immortal who began and finished his football in Redcliffe. In between times, Beetson became a giant of the game during a storied stint for Eastern Suburbs.
Dolphins officials discussed Beetson’s Redcliffe-Roosters links during the pitching process to the NRL and their desire for the teams to play for the trophy in Beetson’s honour. They also stated their preference to play against the tri-colours first to honour the great prop’s legacy.

Roosters chairman Nick Politis, who backed the expansion of the game in Queensland, said the proposal has merit.
“For sure, we’d love to look at that,” Politis said.
“It’s early days, but we’re open to any good ideas. Why not? It’s good for everybody, it’s good for the game.”
Dolphins chief executive Terry Reader said the club had consulted with the Beetson family about the potential initiatives.

“We had detail around that in our submission [to the NRL],” Reader said.
“One thing a lot of people don’t know, Arthur Beetson was part of our first-ever premiership that the Redcliffe Dolphins won in the BRL [Brisbane Rugby League] comp.
“In 1965 he was a skinny centre and he went on to be one of the greatest, an Immortal of the game. He came back to captain-coach in 1981 after the 1980 Origin.
“He did write in his book that it was his dream before he died to see the Dolphins play the Roosters in the NRL.
“How wonderful now that we will be able to make that happen for him and especially for his family. That’s something we pitched, we had conversations during the bid process with the Roosters that we’d love to talk about how we do something with them, whether it be the Arthur Beetson Cup or something like that.

“His family is really excited by that. That is one thing the Dolphins will represent for the game, we have a great story to tell.
“Not to rain on the parade of playing the Broncos, let’s build up to that.

“Everyone is going to be excited because we’re going to have a genuine derby here in Brisbane. We’ll have an old BRL side coming up against the biggest club in the NRL, it’s going to be a wonderful story and the narrative that can be written around it.
“You only have to look at what happens in every code, the derbies are the biggest games. We’d like to think we could have two sellouts there.”

Valheru

Coach
The Titans started against Saints in 07 drawing 40k and then built up to the Broncos derby in round 5 which drew 48k. Cowboys and Crushers started against dogs and raiders (1994 Grand finalists) in 95 and then played Broncos in rounds 4 and 5 respectively

The QLD derby will self itself with the round 4-6 mark making sense so another marquee opponent is logical. I'm not saying it has to be roosters but if there is some history there and if that is what the dolphins want, why not?

King-Gutho94

Coach
Just hope it's not like the last time there was a 17 team premiership season (1999) and PENRITH!!! played a lot of teams coming off the bye.

Hang on... this is LU.

Yes do it, it will give PENRITH!!! a non-easy draw for a change.

I just went back and looked at 99 draw and penrith played the team off the bye in round 2 & 3. Then everyone coming off the bye from round 15-26. So 14 games were teams coming off the bye and 12 of those in a row to end the season.

There is no way that would be allowed today can you imagine the outrage if a team had there last 12 games playing teams off a bye.

Canard

Immortal
The Warriors don't actually have New Zealand in their name any more. They're just "The Warriors".

How they've managed to sneak that past everyone is truly amazing. Reece Walsh could learn a thing or two.

Good point, in most media things they’re called the vodaphone warriors!

I've heard this claimed by LU posters many times over the last Decade or more.

I can't find any evidence that it's true anywhere online.

I happy to be corrected, but anyone got any links to prove this?

Last Week

Bench

Check their official website. They refer to themselves as the Vodafone Warriors. https://www.warriors.kiwi/about/

I also heard Vossy (I think) mention that it's not unique that the Dolphins don't have a location in their name as the Warriors don't either.

Diesel

Referee
I can't understand why only one team would be admitted. How does the NRL 'sell' a bye to a team for round 1? I think we can guess that the round 1 bye team will be either Raiders (my team), the Warriors or the Titans. But now with 4 teams in Qld maybe they'll have Titans in a Qld derby in round 1?
Of cause it’ll be one of those three teams. Warriors has the first round 1 bye in 2002 when the Bunnies arrived to make it a 15 team competition, history will repeat every three years with the alternative years being Raiders/Titans

Perth Red

Post Whore

Their own website refers to them as vodaphone warriors in every news story and in their “about” page.

89D91CB1-EB08-4D7F-BB29-8D33F2A63EFF.jpeg

Last Week

Bench
Their own website refers to them as vodaphone warriors in every news story and in their “about” page.

View attachment 55172

Excellent comment Red..

Canard

Immortal

View attachment 55172
Most teams present there sponsors in a similar way.

This might be a Sponsorship thing but not an official name.

Ironically in that link it calls them the New Zealand Warriors.

its their fist game ever .. not just another derby .. & it absolutely will be the broncos
it'll sellout in 10 minutes
attract record tv ratings for a club game in qld

the 2nd game will fill a spot later in the season & in future years it doesn't have to be a round 1 game

but their first ever game has to be against their cross town rivals

Latest posts