What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 FW1 Sat - Penrith 32-6 Warriors @ BlueBet

Finals Week 1: Penrith v Warriors

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • Warriors

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flippikat

Bench
For all the progress we've made, there's still a way to go to get to Penrith's standard.

Yeah we were missing SJ In attack, but the Panthers pounced on all of our mistakes & were damn-near water-tight in defence.

I'm thinking we're a good chance against the Knights or Raiders at home next week - riding that home crowd support, but if we win there I think we probably lose the preliminary against the Broncos.

But you know what? I'd take that as a season result, because I firmly believe we'll come back stronger next year - and this season has been a great base to build on.

Maybe that's me rationalizing our exit before it happens & being a bit defeatist, but hell.. very few (if any) had the Warriors even getting THIS far in their pre-season predictions.

Munky

Coach
For all the progress we've made, there's still a way to go to get to Penrith's standard.

Yeah we were missing SJ In attack, but the Panthers pounced on all of our mistakes & were damn-near water-tight in defence.

I'm thinking we're a good chance against the Knights or Raiders at home next week - riding that home crowd support, but if we win there I think we probably lose the preliminary against the Broncos.

But you know what? I'd take that as a season result, because I firmly believe we'll come back stronger next year - and this season has been a great base to build on.

Maybe that's me rationalizing our exit before it happens & being a bit defeatist, but hell.. very few (if any) had the Warriors even getting THIS far in their pre-season predictions.

Knights/Canberra may be attractive opponents but don't you get Cronulla/Roosters next week?

flippikat

Bench
I thought Warriors had a decent crack, without there two halves.

Good luck next week.
I think that's a fair summary. It's the classic case of "we weren't that bad, rather THEY were that good"

The Penrith defence was damn near watertight, they pounced on every little error we made, and showed exactly why they're defending double-premiers.

The big failing I saw in the Warriors was the kicking game/last tackle options, but again that's a consequence of that tough Panthers line.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think that's a fair summary. It's the classic case of "we weren't that bad, rather THEY were that good"

The Penrith defence was damn near watertight, they pounced on every little error we made, and showed exactly why they're defending double-premiers.

The big failing I saw in the Warriors was the kicking game/last tackle options, but again that's a consequence of that tough Panthers line.
The Warriors were gutsy.

You can’t win big games with your two starting halves missing.

TMM has only just returned after a lengthy layoff and Dylan Walker is no longer capable of playing five eight, he is a utility now.

Warriors were up against before a ball was kicked.

They should enough to suggest they could have a decent crack next week at home is they get SJ back.

flippikat

Bench
The Warriors were gutsy.

You can’t win big games with your two starting halves missing.

TMM has only just returned after a lengthy layoff and Dylan Walker is no longer capable of playing five eight, he is a utility now.

Warriors were up against before a ball was kicked.

They should enough to suggest they could have a decent crack next week at home is they get SJ back.
Good points, and I wasn't going to say "not having SJ made all the difference".. but yeah - it ran deeper than that tonight.

Any team without it's first-choice halves pairing in a playoff game is on it's back-foot before kickoff.

mxlegend99

Referee
Warriors actually were able to grind better than I thought they would. I thought we would tire them out more and really blow the score wide open in the second half.

But Warriors were fairly resilient and never gave up. Scoreline looked big on paper. But where Panthers normally do their damage, the Warriors had very much limited it.

Johnson wouldn't have changed the result or margin by too much. But if he's fit next week they're probably a real good chance at making week 3. But Broncos will be too much for them. They beat the one team that I thought had the mental edge over them in an absolutely one sided massacre. I think Broncos will fancy themselves against anyone now.

dogz08

First Grade
What time will they play the Warriors game next week? Can't play it at 10pm surely

Exsilium

First Grade
I think this was the result most expected but they get another crack next week and I don’t think they’ll be a push over.

There was a lot of pressure on them without a ball being kicked. A return to the finals, up against a seasoned finals side and missing halves.

I think they’ll be a lot stronger next week and a lot of the pressure will be lifted.

Defended very well today. Do that again next week and earn a trip to BrisVegas…

What time will they play the Warriors game next week? Can't play it at 10pm surely
I thought there was a rule that at least one game had to be played in Sydney each week of the finals (I may have got that wrong). If that is the case, surely Melbourne (who came third) gets the home game?

Meth

Staff member
Re Weakest Comp ever- you’ve got two teams that are quite obviously ahead of the others. If they aren’t playing in the GF, they’ve lost it for themselves.

The rest of the top 8 is pretty close together, as evidenced by last nights game. I expect week 3 to be similar.