What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 International calendar

yakstorm

First Grade
Not so sure, there isn’t the tradition of the kiwis or kangaroos. Would have to be right venue right price and some very good marketing to get 20k to a tongan tour I feel.
Wigan, Leeds and Newcastle or London should be the venues.
I'd be happy with 3 of those 4 for a series. Leeds & Wigan have been two of the better cities for hosting Internationals in the heartlands, London has consistently turned up in big numbers, whilst Newcastle deserves something just for getting 40K+ against Samoa.

Naturally I'm hoping with RL Commercial now formed, and IMG on board, marketing for Tests are more than just a few FB posts and that there is an uplift from it being a series versus a one-off match (which never sell well).

Over the past decade England has drawn 18K+ against Greece, Samoa (2x), France (x2), PNG, Fiji, Scotland & Ireland at home. There is a market there IMO.

Coastbloke

Bench
ESL players be like We need to grow the game. More International matches. We want to compete with the best.

NRL players be like Waaahhhhh, how can I live on $1,000,000 a year. Rugby League is about me. Me me..

MKCS

Juniors
Looks like IRL‘s trying to build a ten year calendar.
Mention of the world nines coming back In 2027 and 2031.
So far for 2023 we have, mostly, rumoured
a six nation euro cup confirmed with ‘possibly’ England and France involved
A 4 nation pacific cup with Australia and nz in it
possibly a PI team touring northern hemisphere

Can’t confirm anything until nrl cba is sorted. Only in RL!

I don't know why they don't do the Nines more often, every couple of years would be absolutely fine or even annually, it'd be a positive for the lower tier nations who would be able to play against the very best and it's a fun weekend event that is easy to market.

Do like the European Cup announcement above, would like to see the Oceania nations all playing quite a few internationals in 2023 as well, Australia, New Zealand, Samoa and Tonga in a 4 nations tournament would be incredible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't know why they don't do the Nines more often, every couple of years would be absolutely fine or even annually, it'd be a positive for the lower tier nations who would be able to play against the very best and it's a fun weekend event that is easy to market.

Do like the European Cup announcement above, would like to see the Oceania nations all playing quite a few internationals in 2023 as well, Australia, New Zealand, Samoa and Tonga in a 4 nations tournament would be incredible.
I’d like to see a world nines end of season every 3 years or so and nrl ni es pre season very 2 years. Nines is much under used concept for the games growth imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Still no confirmation on whose playing who and when.
latest rumour is Samoa to tour England and France
and Australia, Fiji, png, Tonga and nz to play a 5 nations tournament end of year. Not sure if Lebanon and Cook Islands have anything planned.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
and Australia, Fiji, png, Tonga and nz to play a 5 nations tournament end of year. Not sure if Lebanon and Cook Islands have anything planned.
Juicy if true but where did you hear all this???

Coastbloke

Bench

I did read somewhere about 2 weeks ago where it was Tonga going to Europe..

Haven’t heard anything about a Five Nations though..

siv

First Grade
Good to see the Euro matches announced

If Wales and Serbia swapped

We would see a final from the best of the British Isles v Europe mainland

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Anyone else concerned with the increasing talk in the media about how much of a toll the World Cup has taken on some NRL teams due to the shorter pre-season? I've seen this attributed to slower than expected starts for the Cowboys, Eels, Panthers.

Now, whether this is true or not, I don't know. But it is a problem that it's getting raised as the sole issue quite a bit. It has me concerned that there will be people in the game arguing to get rid of the end of season international window altogether outside of a world cup.

I hope the tournament this year catches fire and makes a shit load of money because if it doesn't and the world cup itself doesn't do well, it will be an easy argument to make to kill it off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
England and international rugby league are set to be handed a major boost with Shaun Wane's side to host Tonga in a three-Test series this Autumn. The news will come as a major boost after fears a successful World Cup last year would not be built upon after difficulties in securing an opponent for the end of this season.

The Test series will be the first-ever international series between the two nations and will provide Wane and his players strong opposition as they step up preparations for the next World Cup in France.

Three Super League stadiums will host the series, with St Helens' Totally Wicked Stadium, Huddersfield's John Smith's Stadium and Leeds' Headingley Stadium the chosen venues.

The last time England played Tonga was in the famous World Cup semi-final clash in November 2017, when the Polynesians produced a sensational comeback, eventually losing 20-18 after three quick-fire tries in the final seven minutes. Since then, they have gone on to beat Australia and Great Britain, cementing themselves as one of the world's powerhouses.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Anyone else concerned with the increasing talk in the media about how much of a toll the World Cup has taken on some NRL teams due to the shorter pre-season? I've seen this attributed to slower than expected starts for the Cowboys, Eels, Panthers.

Now, whether this is true or not, I don't know. But it is a problem that it's getting raised as the sole issue quite a bit. It has me concerned that there will be people in the game arguing to get rid of the end of season international window altogether outside of a world cup.

I hope the tournament this year catches fire and makes a shit load of money because if it doesn't and the world cup itself doesn't do well, it will be an easy argument to make to kill it off.

If you look at history this sort of thing has always happened it use to be after Kangaroo Tours. Manly after winning in 78 then having a high number of players on the 1978 Roo Tour fell flat in 1978.
I remember RLW running a headline in 1983 about the Kangaroo Curse.