What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 NFL Draft

shiznit

Coach
Anyone else think that was pretty light for the #1 pick?

a couple of weeks ago I had Bears fans telling me they were adamant they were getting Tae Adams, Darren Waller and three 1st’s for it from the Raiders… 😂🤣

shiznit

Coach
Massive news on the draft front

Panthers are on the clock, who do they want?
From a Raiders perspective frustratingly it looks like McDaniels and Ziegler are not keen on a vet like Rodgers or Lamar and are gonna draft a QB.

I think any of the top 4 QB’s they will be happy with… so unless it looks like those 4 will go before #7 they could well just stay at #7 and take whoever is left.

I do get the feeling though that they are starting to fall in love with Richardson’s physical gifts… which give him a super high ceiling… but I think to really develop him right you need a bridge… which I’m not sure Stidham is…

Chicago looking good for the future. Carolina got fleeced IMO.

As for Raiders, I don't watch Richardson. He's moved up due to combine results but I've looked at the players that did similarly to him at the combine and they are all nobodies with the exception of Tyrod Taylor, who I wouldn't want to spend pick 7 on.

shiznit

Coach

As for Raiders, I don't watch Richardson. He's moved up due to combine results but I've looked at the players that did similarly to him at the combine and they are all nobodies with the exception of Tyrod Taylor, who I wouldn't want to spend pick 7 on.
I don’t think there’s ever been anyone like Richardson… that’s the point.

people say RG3 or Lamar…

RG3 was 6’2 - 220lbs, Ran the 40 in 4.41 with a vert of 39”
Lamar was 6’1 - 216lbs and didn’t do the athletic drills.

This f**king kid is 6’4 - 244lbs and runs the 40 in 4.43 with a very of 40.5”.

thats f**king INSANE for a QB.

This kid has Josh Allen’s size and howitzer arm with Lamar’s athletic ability.

He’s just really raw as a passer apparently. He needs to be brought in slowly to let him develop.

Honestly with his upside it wouldn’t surprise me if he goes #1 overall.

the scary thing for me as a Raiders fan is he could be Pat Mahomes… but he will probably end up JAmarcus Russell with us…

shiznit

Coach
If I was to pick one of the QB’s I’d probably go with Stroud… from what the experts have been saying he’s a polished passer and has upside with his legs… which he didn’t really take advantage of much in college.

Will Levis intrigues me… he kinda seems almost like a Justin Herbert, Josh Allen type of prospect where he has all the physical prototypical measurables but he’s not as polished as say Stroud and Young but if you get him into a situation where you have the flexibility to develop him at his own pace you could have something special.

Same with Richardson I guess but I think there’s probably a higher upside with Richardson but probably more of an unknown with him too.

Has anyone had a deeper dive into this class? I’ve only seen what Kiper, McShay and the dudes from the Athletic have done…

apparently it’s a pretty shallow class overall…

nick87

Coach

couldnt disagree more

I think the panthers paid a signifcant but fair price and i dont think they got fleeced at all based on recent trading history

also richardson is exactly what the raiders should do. A little bit of JaMarcus Russell potential about it but man he's so god damn talented haha.

Jimmy G to Richardson after 12 months.... lovely

shiznit

Coach
Oh well, good thing we traded Darren Waller to get him. Oh nevermind, was for a 3rd rounder. #raiders
We should have got rid of Waller last offseason… I get why we re-upped him at the time as we wanted to see what that offense would look like with Tae, him, Renfrow & Jacobs with Carr….

Dude is a beast when he’s on the field but you’re a Raiders fan for real so you know his issue is availability.

the fact is he’s on the wrong side of 30 now so it’s only gonna get worse for him.

the reality is Foster Moreau has been our TE fir most of the past 2 seasons because Waller just hasn’t been available.

Team’s weren’t clamouring for him because of these issues so a 3rd is definitely something. Good deal for the Giants though.

Keep an eye on Renfrow too… I could see him get traded as they picked up Jacobi Meyers today.

Dorsett too. I didn't want to believe, but we truly are becoming New England West. A real shame. We might as well see what we can get for Jacobs and Adams at this point.

I get Waller isn't our best option but surely we could do better than pretty much a 4th round pick considering we could have traded him away for a second last season.

The defensive players we have signed have not been good at all.

shiznit

Coach
Dorsett too. I didn't want to believe, but we truly are becoming New England West. A real shame. We might as well see what we can get for Jacobs and Adams at this point.

I get Waller isn't our best option but surely we could do better than pretty much a 4th round pick considering we could have traded him away for a second last season.

The defensive players we have signed have not been good at all.
I don’t mind them going down the Patriots West pathway…

Give McDaniels what he wants and if he f**ks up then start again…

we weren’t winning the division with Carr and Waller so f**k em… lol

kurt faulk

Coach
What do the Jets end up giving up for Rodgers?

A ham sammich. His contract is overbearing, nobody else wants him including the packers. They should have traded him last season when the Broncos would have paid the moon for him.

I have no idea why they kept him.

macavity

Referee
A ham sammich. His contract is overbearing, nobody else wants him including the packers. They should have traded him last season when the Broncos would have paid the moon for him.

I have no idea why they kept him.

agreed was pissed we didn’t.

reckon the jets give up a second and player or some conditionals.

nick87

Coach
Greatest Mock in the World 1.0
(This is not the greatest mock in the world, no this is just a tribute... couldnt remember the greatest mock in the world)
Also going to put my thoughts on each player, like to go on the record for each pick! Right or wrong. Lets get it down ahead of the draft on friday.

1. Panthers - Bryce Young, QB
Well the books have all moved very strongly in this direction and all the mail around the pick suggests a few days out, to quote Woj in the NBA... "The Panthers are focusing their attentions in on Bryce Young with the pick." I think he's an awesome player, it wont surprise me if he's a really good NFL QB... not a bet i'd make. The more i've thought about it, the more i think his size will be a problem.

2. Texans - Will Anderson Jr, EDGE
All the good reporting is that the Texans are Young or bust and so it's bust and they're going to (not so stunningly at this point) kick the QB can down the road and simply take the best defensive player on the board. Love this player. Dont think he's quite at the top teir of edges in recent drafts. I dont know if he's got consistent 15+ sack season but he should be good for 10+.

3. TRADE Titans - Anthony Richardson, QB
The Titans are rumoured to be looking to move up and they find a willing partner and the Cards move back and collect assets and the Titans begin their rebuild with Anthony Richardson. They can stick with Tannehill for the beginning of this year whilst Richardson gets up to speed. I think Richardson is QB1 in this draft. He's the guy i'd bet on. High risk but i think he'll be really good.

4. Colts - Will Levis, QB
The Colts not only trade up for a QB, but they do it for Levis! For reason unbeknownst to anyone but they do it. And hoo boy, this tracks for me. I reckon Levis is real Isray sort of of guy. I think the Colts are prone to do some Ryan Pacean level nonsense and move up a spot for a QB they almost certainly would get if they stand pat and then draft the wrong guy (Bears passed on Watson and Mahomes for Trubisky). Levis has bad Wentz vibes for me. Im not a big fan.

5. Seahawks - Jalen Carter, DT
This pick hurt to make. But with both the top edge players off the board, and Carroll's culture of sort of embracing people for who they are and backing him to get them to buy in... as long as they are comfortable with the off field issue, i cant see them passing on him if the board falls this way. Sadly. I love him. I think he's the best pure talent in the draft. If the character concerns check out, he should be the first pick for a non QB needy team imo.

6. Lions - Devon Witherspoon, CB
With the Lions moving on from Okudah, i think they'll quickly get back into the CB market with Witherspoon who just strikes me as a real Dan Campbell sort of guy. His attitude and passion he plays with. Dude might actually bite a WRs knee, that's how much he hates them. I love this kid man. Love him. Think he's the CB version of Davonta Smith. Both undersized but both play with no regards for how small they are. My favourite player in the draft. Think he's going to be REALLY good.

7. Raiders - CJ Stroud, QB
I've seen a lot of speculation that both parties have strong interest in each other, and i believe it. I think that's the sort of QB that McDaniels would love to have. Jimmy G contract i dont think precludes them from doing this. I think this would be a good pick. Stroud will be a good NFL starter imo. Sort of guy who if you build it right around him, you can win.

8. Falcons - Tyree Wilson, Edge
The Falcons have needs all over the place. This is the first viable Bijan spot but with how bad that defence is i think they'll take Wilson. Seen it reported that some teams have Wilson over Anderson on their boards, which i dont agree with but it tells me he's going to go pretty high. I'm not a HUGE Wilson guy. Think he'll be good, but not quite what i'd want from from a top 10 pick.

9. Bears - Paris Johnson Jr, OT
The bears get their ideal situation. They trade back, get the picks AND their pick of the litter at OT. I think they'll side with Johnson Jr over Skoronski. One he's played with Fields before and apparently they're pretty tight and 2, he's got ideal size to actually be a tackle, where as Skoronski size has teams worried about OT. I like Paris Johnson Jr, i think he's a pretty high floor/high ceiling sort of guy.

10. TRADE Jets - Peter Skoronski, OT
Jets see the first tackle go off the board and decide to get up to ensure they get their best guy which is Skoronksi. They want to protect Rodgers. Skoronski is a talent who could play either tackle spot or Guard. Ideally he's a Max Mitchell upgrade, but Mitchell was OK last year, so if he ends up playing RT due to a Becton issue, that works. Or if he doesnt look great at LT and Becton is also great, he just slids in at Guard and they're better across the 5 man unit. The jets took AVT 2 years ago and were very excited because of the technical aspects of his game. Think Skoronski will be the same. Think this is a good pick, not convinced he'll be a stud Tackle in the league, think he can be fine, but i do think his floor is a pro bowl level Guard.

11. TRADE Cardinals - Christian Gonzalez, CB
Great result for the Cards who need absolutely everything really. Terribly untalented team, Kyler aside their best players are probably Budda Baker and Dre Hopkins who are both expected to depart via trades. Gonzalez is an elite talent who fell due to QB's and needs of teams ahead. Gonzalez is my CB2 and i think he's awesome. Wouldnt hate the Eagles draft him at all. CB's bust all the time but he's got all the physical traits to be a shut down NFL corner.

12. Texans - Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR
The Texans taking JSN is at 12 is my favourite pick to mock right now. Perfect balance of need, value and talent imo. JSN is a very good route runner who will be an immediate safety blanket for Caleb Williams/Drake Maye next year when the Texans hopefully draft one of those guys. For me, JSN is a lot like Olave last year, in that im very sure he wont bust. Not sure how good he'll be but im certain he'll be an asset to an NFL passing game.

13. TRADE Packers - Dalton Kincaid, TE
I love mocking this pick so much. Again, a great blend of value, need and talent. The Packers need to build around Love. It made sense to avoid high picks on offensive weapons with Rodgers, he was good enough to make do without for the most part. The TE room is abhorant in GB right now. Go and get yourself a HB TE who you can move around and can play with Watson and the RB's and create an offensive system that can elevate Love. Kincaid for me is Kyle Pitts lite, not quite his transedent talent but not THAT far off imo. But we've seen even Pitts has had his struggles (which i attribute to the QB, he was lights out as a rookie with M.Ryan).

14. Patriots - Lucas Van Ness, Edge
The pats get banged a little here with getting left behind the tackle run. But they land the sort of player BB likes. He's big, strong, versitile and raw, so they can coach him up without worrying about bad habbits. For me, im not LVN fan, i see the traits and testing numbers and can see why people like him. But he's just not for me. Dont think he'll be a stud pass rusher in the league, and if he does, it's 2 years away.

15. TRADE Steelers - Broderick Jones, OT
The steelers move up to get their tackle of the future. They have invested in Pickett and have the weapons around him to succeed... Johnson, Pickens, Robinson, Najee, Friermuth... that's a good set of weapons. They need to provide Pickett with a line that can keep him upright and stop Najee from getting hit behind the LOS on every carry. Jones is a big athletic tackle who needs some refinement on technique, but might have as much upside as any tackle in the class.

16. Commanders - Brian Branch, S
Convinced that with the sale currently on-going that this will be a very boring pick. I cant see them making a major move without the empowerment of new ownership which is hard to imagine they'll have. I think the feeling will be to take a safe and scheme/system versitile player. A quality safety like Branch who is a little limited athletically but is smart and instictive and can play in any scheme makes sense imo. I like the player, he'll be good, reminds me Devin McCourtey, but this might be a little early.

nick87

Coach
17. Eagles - Nolan Smith, EDGE
I think given the RB room and the nature of how the running game is important to this eagles team, Bijan could maybe go here but i still think Roseman would never do it. They could easily stay at 10 and take Gonzalez or Skoronski and play him at Guard with Tackle versatility, but in this situation where they've moved back twice, and they've got extra picks to surround Hurts, they get the final edge player that i think has 15+ sack potential. I love Smith and how he plays, he's small but a bit like Witherspoon, he throws his body into it with a reckless abandonment that is hard not to love. I think he'll be a solid pro at the worst, worried he'll be too small to consistently win as a pass rusher.

18. Lions - Calijah Kancey, DT
Think this pick makes a lot of sense for the Lions too. They need some pass rush, and some DL talent to pair along side Hutchenson. I've been pretty heavy on my position that i dont like Kancey so i wont rehash it. Im not a fan of the pick but it seems like he's going to be a mid first round pick and if that's the case, this is a good spot for him.

19. Buccaneers - Darnell Wright, OT
A team who is in a bit of a flux right now and doesnt have a good plan for 2023... they're starting Baker, so that's all you need to know about that. They're paying the debt for the Brady SB and taking a tackle to pair with Wirfs would be a good building block move. BIG human and at some point at RT, being that big is just as good even if you have technical issues. He's a working progress for me.

20. Seahawks - Joey Porter Jr, CB
You know who loves a long, athletic press corner? Pete Carroll. In some ways it's hard to imagine them going CB given the play they've consistently got from later round prospects but i think if they can get a genuine upgrade at CB to pair with Woolen that's a good time. I personally worry about Porter. He's good in man to man coverage but he's also very handsy and physical. Could be a bump first year or so. If he lands with someone like Carroll who can develop him, he'll be good. But in the wrong spot, it wont work.

21. Forfeited

22. Chargers - Zay Flowers, WR
The Chargers actually need WR really badly and one who can stretch the field is the priority. Having someone to do what he can do will really open things up for other weapons and give Herbert a reason to unleash his cannon. This is a home run hit for me. I'd LOVE Flowers with anyonew with a cannon. Good pick up.

23. Ravens - Bijan Robinson, RB
This is almost certainly much later than he'll actually go but this was the first place i could slot him. The Ravens are a bit like the Eagles in how they value the running game and building around a running QB like Lamar... they've got OBJ and Bateman and Andrews so can feel good about the pass catchers and i like JK Dobbins but Bijan could supercharge this offence in a huge way. For me Bijan is the 2nd best player in this draft behind Carter, if you ignore positional value. i think he'll be a top 5 RB from day 1. He's that good.

24. Vikings - Hendon Hooker, QB
This might be my wildest pick but i think the Vikings are very keen on an off ramp for Cousins and this represents a good one. I think this is high for Hooker and his age and coming off an injury is a concern but i DO think he's a potential first round QB and i think potential first round guys at this position are pushed up. I think Hooker will actually be a solid NFL starter. Im ok with this pick.

25. Jaguars - Deonte Banks, CB
The jags are on the up. Good QB, good coach. It's all gravy from there. The Ridley pick up was huge and puts other weapons in line. I think they'd love OL here but i dont like the board right now for them. Banks is a good physical corner, which is what they need imo. I like Banks. Good player. Should be a solid player.

26. Giants - Quentin Johnston, WR
The Giants desperately need to surround Danny Dimes with NFL calibre talent at WR. Johnson started this process as my WR1 but the testing numbers werent as impressive as i thought they'd be and he's not a great contested catch guy for his size but he's instantly the best WR on that roster and should be able to provide Jones a reliable target. He'll be a good #2 WR imo.

27. Cowboys - Michael Mayer, TE
The Cowboys lost Schultz and i think they're in the position where they understand what they're going to get with their defence, and the goal has to be surrounding Dak with enough weapons to offensively take a step forward. Mayer is a solid in line blocker who can contribute to the run game and is a legit recieving threat. Reminds me a little of how Dallas Goedart plays. TE's typically take longer to develop so might not be a HUGE contributor in year 1 but long term they'll be very happy with the pick

28. Bills - Jack Campbell, LB
This is a late riser in the draft process for me. I have Drew Sanders as LB1 but now i think Campbell is more likely to go ahead of him and i get why. The Bills have a big time need at LB and DB, and they might like DB more so that won't shock me here, but a few days out i think Campbell sneaking into the round 1 with the Bills makes a lot of sense. I think Campbell is going to struggle in coverage at the next level, he's a bit of an old school run thumping LB.

29. Bengals - Emmanual Forbes, CB
A long corner with athleticism to cover and ball skills to create take aways and big plays from the takeaways. The bengals defence needs to continue to build around the idea of beating KC. That means investing in defence. They have a need at CB and Forbes is the right value pick here. For me, it's just really hard to see how a 166lb corner plays in the NFL. That's a very slight young man. I think he'll cover fine but i worry about durability and i worry about how physical he can be.

30. Saints - Myles Murphey, EDGE
Saints lost a bit of talent along the DL this off season, right now something called Carl Granderson is slated to start at RDE for them. Myles Murphey is a guy with ideal size to be a complete DE. Someone who can rush the passer and set the edge in the run game. Immediate starter and a solid NFL player with high upside. Like the player and the pick.

31. Eagles - Cyrus O'Torrance, OG
Having already traded back a few times, the Eagles invest in the DL and now OL, which is exactly what they value highly. Jurgens was drafted last year as Kelce heir apparent and he's in the running to fill in the RG where Seumalo's departure created a hole. By taking O'Torrance, they can let O'Torrance and Jurgens fight in camp for that and feel good about the line continuing to be a strength of the team. I view him similarly to Zion Johnson last year, just a rock solid and as safe a pick as you can make. He'll be a long term starter in the league imo.

32. Chiefs - Will McDonald IV, EDGE
The Chiefs won the SB because their QB and play caller threw a perfect game. They dont need elite offensive talent whilst Mahomes and Reid are on deck as this last year showed. What they do need is a defence that widens the margains for Mahomes. After taking Karloftis last year, they can pair him up with McDonald this year and try and create a pass rush that makes it very hard for passing games to keep up with Mahomes. I think McDonald has a chance to be a really good pass rusher. He's bendy and tough. He's needs a little more work but i think with time he'll get there.

shiznit

Coach
I've seen a lot of speculation that both parties have strong interest in each other, and i believe it. I think that's the sort of QB that McDaniels would love to have. Jimmy G contract i dont think precludes them from doing this. I think this would be a good pick. Stroud will be a good NFL starter imo. Sort of guy who if you build it right around him, you can win.
Bruh… if CJ Stroud falls to us at #7 I reckon we would be over the moon…. I can’t see it though.

All I’ve seen in the recent raiders pre-draft news cycle is that Ziegler and McDaniels have a plan to draft defence and OL and will only take a QB if the the one they want falls to them at #7… they won’t jump up to get them.

And I think that’s Stroud… but I’m hoping that’s Richardson… Lmfao…

but you know… it’s the Raiders… I’ve been a Raiders fan for 25 years… I can count on one hand the amount of picks we’ve made over that time that didn’t have me like…

IMG_9891.jpeg

even more embarrassing than the actual picks themselves are the bloody excuses i try and Trott out as an optimistic Raiders fan trying to defend these f**king duds… SMH…

Clelin Ferrel at #4 - It’s only considered a reach because Mike Mayock is no longer a draft analyst… if Mayock was still in the NFL media and banging the door down that Ferrell was a top 5 guy then the reaction would be different… (SMH…)

Alex Leatherwood at #17 - Yeah it was a reach… yeah he probably would have been available in the 2nd round but we got Trevon Moehrig in the 2nd round and he’s really a first round talent so if we drafted them in reverse it would have been fine. We got a 1st and 2nd round talent in the first two rounds which was the goal…. (Lmfao… seriously stupid reasoning)

I could go on forever… lmfao…

Last edited:
I don't want a QB in the first round (especially Levis or Richardson). I really want Carter or Anderson to drop to us. Happy to take Witherspoon, Gonzalez or Wilson. I wouldn't be annoyed if we drafted Skoronski.

I'd love for us to trade down if we can.