What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 NRL draw

Docklands is available, but the club has a pretty iron-clad agreement with AAMI (which sadly works in AAMI's favour, forcing them to likely Docklands at end of season)

Cheers. I thought it would be one or the other. It just amazes me how "easy" some fans think scheduling of games are.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Does it really matter? You could give 3,000 points for a bye, if everyone gets the same amount they’ll all cancel each other out.

some of the crap people worry about
The point is it doesn’t matter. I have never understood giving a by team points. Start every team on 6 points (or -6) if that’s the case.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I think it reinforces what a selfish club Broncos are and continue to be.

Most clubs take at least 1 game to the rural areas.

Maybe negotiate with QLD tourism for a sponsorship anyway and see what is possible.

It may not be that simple but imagine if they take 1 per game per season to a different rural areas of QLD and what it would do for the people there.

Why is it up to NSW clubs to take games to these places. Broncos are the main team in QLD.
Look idiot. There's money given to clubs that take games to country areas.

We don't need the money so suck it up

King-Gutho94

Coach
Look idiot. There's money given to clubs that take games to country areas.

We don't need the money so suck it up
Look champ the Broncos are so rich why couldn't they give back to the rural community of QLD then.

It only had to be a one off token game while the world cup was on. It wouldn't affected them too much.

Anyway we will see you at the Gabba next year then which will be ironic as we should be able to put up another cricket score against your mob again. As we have done for nearly season in the past 5-6 years.

Stinkfinger

Juniors
The point is it doesn’t matter. I have never understood giving a by team points. Start every team on 6 points (or -6) if that’s the case.
Giving 2 points for the bye has the exact same effect as giving 0 points, only in reverse. Both skew the ladder. 1 point skews the ladder too, but by less. You could always have win percentage rather than competition points, then the ladder would always be correct.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Look champ the Broncos are so rich why couldn't they give back to the rural community of QLD then.

It only had to be a one off token game while the world cup was on. It wouldn't affected them too much.

Anyway we will see you at the Gabba next year then which will be ironic as we should be able to put up another cricket score against your mob again. As we have done for nearly season in the past 5-6 years.
Get back to me when you get a premiership. We have won 6 to your f**k all since we entered the comp

Perth Red

Post Whore

When you're earning over $1million every home game you dont take games to country town parks!

Dragons154

Juniors
Long season ahead - that’s a good thing right?

I like what they have done with Dolphins playing big teams/games early @ Suncorp. Perth seems strange though.

Storm have one home game before AFL starts but disappointing to be playing away in Rnd 27 during the AFL’s pre-finals bye. A few Sun arvo games which is good for those of us with young kids.

It would have been great to see a game in Tassie, but overall lots to like.
Absolutely. Tassie is such an untapped resource for the game.

there are so many league fans down here due to the high number of ex mainlanders “my family included” and seeing fans wear their teams jerseys down here is far from uncommon.

Heck the Storm held a preseason game down here in 2012 against the broncos and got a crowd of 11,700 and in 2017 against the dogs and got 6,700 through the gate.

a fully fledged season game would quite easily see a sell out crowd.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Absolutely. Tassie is such an untapped resource for the game.

there are so many league fans down here due to the high number of ex mainlanders “my family included” and seeing fans wear their teams jerseys down here is far from uncommon.

Heck the Storm held a preseason game down here in 2012 against the broncos and got a crowd of 11,700 and in 2017 against the dogs and got 6,700 through the gate.

a fully fledged season game would quite easily see a sell out crowd.
It’d be good to see Storm adopt tassie better, support the local game and hold a pre season game every year. This year without stadium would have been Ideal time to take a comp game there. Mind you nrl doesn’t give a flat fart about most places so I guess we shouldn’t be surprised there’s no strategy for the game there.

BadnMean

Juniors

Teams/fans don't like not receiving points during bye week and dropping out of the top 4/top 8 etc as a result.

It basically just makes it easier to grasp your true ladder position without having to factor in who has/ hasn't had byes yet or when they will get their bye and drop 2 points etc. I know, I know it all evens out in the end but it does make the ladder more intuitive.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Teams/fans don't like not receiving points during bye week and dropping out of the top 4/top 8 etc as a result.

It basically just makes it easier to grasp your true ladder position without having to factor in who has/ hasn't had byes yet or when they will get their bye and drop 2 points etc. I know, I know it all evens out in the end but it does make the ladder more intuitive.
How does it help grasp your true position if you have had a bye and got points but the team behind you haven’t? It always as right as it is wrong.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
How does it help grasp your true position if you have had a bye and got points but the team behind you haven’t? It always as right as it is wrong.
It's arbitrary to award them. If there's no point, why do it? Do any other sports do it?

BadnMean

Juniors

The team behind you played a match that weekend and either wins or loses.

As I said, many fans feel better knowing their team is in or out of the 8 by their own hand when they had the opportunity to fight for the points. If the team behind you hasn't had their bye yet, you will also not get leapfrogged by them in their bye week, IF you win. Again, you have the natural chance to win and hold your position.

Fans are used to not getting points when they lose. It's just more awkward falling out when you didn't even get to play.

I am not defending the logic, I know it all evens out. But that is the reasoning behind points in a bye week. It seems less wrong to at least hold your position in the week you didn't even get to play. It's a double kick in the nuts to not even get to play AND lose your ladder position.

Last edited:

BadnMean

Juniors
It's arbitrary to award them. If there's no point, why do it? Do any other sports do it?
See above.

I think NFL gives points for byes? Or has done in the past. And in any number of knockout sports tournaments around the world, with either odd numbers or seeded teams with byes, when you have a "bye" it counts as a win and you automatically go through to the next round.

MugaB

Coach
The team behind you played a match that weekend and either wins or loses.

As I said, many fans feel better knowing their team is in or out of the 8 by their own hand when they had the opportunity to fight for the points.

Fans are used to not getting points when they lose. It's just more awkward falling out when you didn't even get to play.

I am not defending the logic, I know it all evens out. But that is the reasoning behind points in a bye week. It seems less wrong to at least hold your position in the week you didn't even get to play. It's a double kick in the nuts to not even get to play AND lose your ladder position.
Yeah its moot... but to the average non-RL tragic, they'd look at a ladder and see parra running first, buy GF tix and sit and wait for round 2 to realize that they only got the points from a bye.... it's a great concept coz if you didn't get points to sit out a round, the ladder would be too transparent... yes its easy to read if you know whos had what bye, but keeping it confusing, makes the lesser invested interested (an oxymoron yes) but its true, i get my father in law in his 70s asking about the ladder positions, which team is where..
Youll know if your team sucks and stop watching after origin, due to not being able to catch up to the top8, atleast with the byes, maybe it prolongs that by an extra month..

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's all well and good to add points in groupings when there's just the two sets of byes (although IMO still pointless).

Doing it in 2023 when the byes are all so out of whack given there's one a week R1-12 then 7, 5, 1, 7, 5, 1, 7, 5 during Origin, then back to one a week, I'd argue adding bye points just makes it more unbalanced.