What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 NRL rule amendments confirmed

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
The Commission, after extensive consultation with all stakeholders, has decided not to introduce any new Rules for the 2023 season.

However, the stakeholders requested clarification on existing Interpretations. The NRL has confirmed the following amendments to existing Laws and Interpretations ahead of the 2023 NRL Pre-Season and Premiership.

The changes are designed to enhance the existing Laws and Interpretations which have led to a faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable game.

AMENDMENTS FOR THE 2023 SEASON​

Grounding the Ball​

Tries will now be awarded if the ball rotates from the hand to the wrist or forearm provided there is no obvious separation between the ball and the hand or arm. The new interpretation will allow further clarity for officials when adjudicating grounding.

Operation of the 18th player rule​

The number of failed head injury assessments will be reduced from three (3) to two (2) to trigger the activation of the 18th player. This will allow greater flexibility for Clubs which lose multiple players to head injuries in a match.

Intervention of Bunker in Foul Play​

The Bunker may only intervene for acts of foul play which it deems to be reportable. The change will ensure fewer needless stoppages while also confirming a firmer process around foul play intervention.

Captain's Challenge​

A challenge may be initiated after the referee blows his whistle to stop play, rather than only after a decision resulting in a structured restart. Decisions which cannot be challenged will continue to include forward passes, roll balls and discretionary penalties including 10m offside, ruck infringements relating to play-the-ball speed, tackled into touch after held call and dissent.

A Challenge can be made following the final play in each half provided the referee has not already called half or full-time. The changes will add further clarity for fans, broadcasters, Clubs and players around when a Captain's Challenge can and cannot be initiated.

Off-side infringements at scrums​

A full penalty will be awarded (rather than a set restart), for off-side scrum infringements by the defensive team anywhere on the field. The non-infringing team will retain the option of repacking the scrum or taking the awarded penalty. Any team which deliberately locks the ball in the scrum to trap defenders in an off-side position will also be penalised.

10m compliance in general play​

Active defenders must have both feet in line or behind the referee when setting the 10-metre defensive line. Referees will have the option of awarding a full penalty for multiple 10m breaches without requiring the mandatory use of the sin bin. Referees can still use the sin bin if they consider breaches to be deliberate or cynical. The changes will give further clarity to officials and teams around what constitutes a breach of the rules.

Adjudication of completed tackles​

Referees will issue a single call of "held/release" when a tackle is complete, rather than the separate calls of "held" and "release". The change will address unnecessary slowing of the play-the-ball and improve game continuity.

"While relatively minor, these changes will improve three elements of the game - player safety, the game presentation for fans and off-side compliance," NRL Executive General Manager - Elite Football Graham Annesley said.

"We undertook a thorough review of the 2022 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders.

"The overriding feedback was the current interpretations are creating a faster and more free-flowing game, but there was a need to address some minor issues which have emerged.

"These changes will allow Clubs and players clarity on certain issues while also giving fans more entertainment and transparency as the game evolves in 2023."

Munky

Coach
Why can't teams 'deliberately' lock the ball in the scrum to catch teams offside? Don't agree with that one. I don't mind that a penalty can be given for offside though. In the attacking area every defending side was cheating.

Making the 'grounding' an even greater grey area isn't going to work.

Yep, a few teams have a ball playing lock who can keep the ball in the scrum and then dash and pass.

If the defence has moved past the attack why should it be punished?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why can't teams 'deliberately' lock the ball in the scrum to catch teams offside? Don't agree with that one. I don't mind that a penalty can be given for offside though. In the attacking area every defending side was cheating.

Making the 'grounding' an even greater grey area isn't going to work.
That jumped out to me. has that always been in the rules or a new addition?

This Year?

Immortal
The grounding one is terrible. You don't have to have control of the ball and it will still be a try. The only positive I guess is an element of BOD to the attacking team.

18th player rule should be activated after 1 HIA IMO, or better yet just extend the bench to 5.

The captains challenge one is just to cover themselves after the Tigers got screwed and gives more clearer opportunities to use the captains challenge.

The offside penalty at scrums one is puzzling. I think trapping is clever and should be rewarded. I get cynical part of the defensive offside being a penalty now is a deterrent but will slow things down. The point of 6 again is to create more broken play. If it's a cynical then maybe a sin bin would be a better deterrent than a penalty.

The 10m one, meh. Needs to be sinbin on the 3rd one or sin bin if in the last minute of the game. If it comes to ref discretion some teams will get screwed. The less grey area for refs the better.

The held/release one just makes me laugh. If someone is called held then they should release anyway. Why should they have been told to release?

Sorry for the long rant. I hate constant rule changes. They should think a rule through before introducing it in the 1st place, otherwise we get these amendments and it confuses everyone.

some11

Referee
The new interpretation will allow further clarity for officials when adjudicating grounding.
cole-phelps-la-noire.gif

This Year?

Immortal
you have NEVER needed control, only downward pressure
So you're happy with a wrist or forearm grounding if the ball has rolled out of the hand?
I get that type grounding is ok when on a loose ball, but if its already in the hand then it's a knock on IMO.

Iamback

Coach
So you're happy with a wrist or forearm grounding if the ball has rolled out of the hand?
I get that type grounding is ok when on a loose ball, but if its already in the hand then it's a knock on IMO.

Those ones in the end are judgement calls and usually waste a few minutes looking at it

kdalymc

Bench
didnt say i was happy just saying thats always been the rule. but yeah rolling out of ya hand onto your wrist hmmm. im not a ref, cant comment :)

This Year?

Immortal
didnt say i was happy just saying thats always been the rule. but yeah rolling out of ya hand onto your wrist hmmm. im not a ref, cant comment :)
It's a tricky one isn't it. Technically there no separation and there is downward pressure so under the rule it is a try.
Those dodgy looking ones will be awarded which helps with consistency I guess. If it removes a grey area for the ref then I'm happy for it. Be interesting to hear everyone's take on it.

Last edited:
Its a new one

Used to be under the locks feet

Then they changed it to under the second rowers feet

Sorry but I qualified for my referees accreditation in 1993. As far back as then, the ball was considered out of the scrum once it passes behind the feet of the second rowers. Nothing has changed in that regard. That's why it was always permissable for the lock to detach from the scrum and pick up the ball.

Saxon

Bench
Sorry but I qualified for my referees accreditation in 1993. As far back as then, the ball was considered out of the scrum once it passes behind the feet of the second rowers. Nothing has changed in that regard. That's why it was always permissable for the lock to detach from the scrum and pick up the ball.
I think you're both right - sort of.
IIRC, waaaay back when - I'm thinking up until some time in the early seventies maybe - the lock was not allowed to pick up the ball.

Latest posts