What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Predictions

Wizardman

First Grade
Where will the Tigers finish: 11th
Player of the year: Api Korisau
Top Try Scorer: Nofo
Best signing: Api (Not quite sure how we measure this....but if we are to have impact, he'll be the centre of it).
Rookie of the year: Pole...this season, fans from other clubs will know who he is. A very important player in the context of our season.....big wraps for the young man.
Breakout Player: Pole
Who debuts:
Dissapointment of the year: I hope I've got this one wrong but the odds are stacking up against Bateman having a healthy, great year.
Will Brooks be at the club in 2024: I'll make a brave call...no.
What needs to happen for it to be a successful year: Compete for 80 in a lot of games, forwards having a great year in attack and defence. Ladder position and the performance of the halves and backs doesn't matter as much as I have no particular faith in our halves and backs. I absolutely expect our forwards to fire though to give us a shot in winning games.

General NRL
Premiers: Penrith
Wooden Spooners: Dolphins (just absolutely no depth and the first choice team is not particularly scary)
Do Dogs play finals: No...but will go close.
Dally M: Cleary

WA Tiger

Bench
Where will the Tigers finish: 4-5th
Player of the year: Nofo
Best signing: Klemmer
Rookie of the year: Ngatikaura
Breakout Player: Tuki
Who debut:All of the above
Dissapointment of the year: Talau
Will Brooks be at the club in 2024: No
What needs to happen for it to be a succesful year: Have a genuine captain whose not all talk or ego or a yes man. A captain who can encourage but also have players squirming when they Fk up. And another leader to back up and keep the guys on their toes and their minds on the job.
General NRL
Premiers: South Sydney
Wooden Spooner: Manly
Do Dogs play finals: Yes
Dally M: Ben Hunt

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Where will the Tigers finish: 8th
Player of the year: Api
Rookie of the year: Triston Rielly
Best signing Brendon Wakeham
Breakout Player: Tukimihia Simkins
Who debuts: Charlie Staines, Apisalome Saukuru
Dissapointment of the year: Justin Pascoe (again)
Will Brooks be at the club in 2024: Yes
What needs to happen for it to be a succesful year: Every back needs to lift their game compared to last year. Api to take control particularly on 5th and 6th option if anywhere near oppositions try line.

General NRL
Premiers: Roosters
Wooden Spooners: St George
Do Dogs play finals: No
Dally M: Api

WA Tiger

Bench
Where will the Tigers finish: 8th
Player of the year: Api
Rookie of the year: Triston Rielly
Best signing Brendon Wakeham
Breakout Player: Tukimihia Simkins
Who debuts: Charlie Staines, Apisalome Saukuru
Dissapointment of the year: Justin Pascoe (again)
Will Brooks be at the club in 2024: Yes
What needs to happen for it to be a succesful year: Every back needs to lift their game compared to last year. Api to take control particularly on 5th and 6th option if anywhere near oppositions try line.

General NRL
Premiers: Roosters
Wooden Spooners: St George
Do Dogs play finals: No
Dally M: Api
I’m thinking a team collapsing from a reasonable height is not beyond the realms, for manly and SG and far more interesting as well…

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Watch out for Demetriuo… If he can control Mitchell and Cody Walker (esp when he was losing his cool last year) he can control the NRL world.. I’m expecting him to rival Bennett long term

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
Watch out for Demetriuo… If he can control Mitchell and Cody Walker (esp when he was losing his cool last year) he can control the NRL world.. I’m expecting him to rival Bennett long term
The key word in your phrase is "If"

Vic Mackey

Referee

Worth remembering Souths were garbage until Latrell came back. They lost to us and Saints, were like 11th with 8 rounds to go

WA Tiger

Bench
Worth remembering Souths were garbage until Latrell came back. They lost to us and Saints, were like 11th with 8 rounds to go
That is true. Last year was Demetriuo’s first year. He was spending a lot of mental energy on gaining trust from A/ the team but more importantly for him B/ from the big dogs (Mitchell and Walker) From the reaction from those two toward D after a good win/s during the last years finals, I think he’s achieved that. Naturally this year the others will follow suit. So everyone’s in from day one this year. Now he needs to rein in Tane Milne and Burgess aggression. Hes changed Mitchell’s mindset and kept him the field after his return, so those two should be a walk in the park…He’s shown that he will treat Mitchell different from the others, as he needs to.

They’ve still got a hell of a spine with Ilias showing signs of matching the class of the other 3 and making a real difference this year. And overal Souths have a strong team and captain. With continued clever coaching/ man management I think they can go a step further.

Besides I hate Melbourne and Easts

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
'23 predictions...well here's mine. We may well start out resembling a 17 car pile up in the harbour tunnel just as it did for most of the first half of the '05 season then the plugs will start to clear and for the same outa left field reason...before too long into the season it will start coming together despite the howls for the instant sacking of Sheens and the board...that's a given! I believe what Sheens is putting together will work albeit possibly / probably looking like a total clusterf ck to the panic prone in the early stages but no brave plan ( which it is) comes together without birthing pain.
* You know the pioneers ...they're the one's with the arrows in their back

** For amusement purposes only...not to be driven on public roads. Your results may vary

stryker

First Grade
Sheensies “brave plan” mark 1 was for Ciraldo to work with the club for 5 years and develop the juniors. After being told to go root his boot, he devised “brave plan” mark 2…take the reigns for a couple of years and develop Benji Marshal to be the coach.

This experiment will bring a lot of variables in for me. I don’t believe Tim’s primary goal for this year is to play finals. More so, he is playing a longer game, aimed at ensuring season 2025 is a major success. I think we will show flashes this year of competent footy but fall short.

Das Hassler

Bench
Sheensies “brave plan” mark 1 was for Ciraldo to work with the club for 5 years and develop the juniors. After being told to go root his boot, he devised “brave plan” mark 2…take the reigns for a couple of years and develop Benji Marshal to be the coach.

This experiment will bring a lot of variables in for me. I don’t believe Tim’s primary goal for this year is to play finals. More so, he is playing a longer game, aimed at ensuring season 2025 is a major success. I think we will show flashes this year of competent footy but fall short.

Not about any brave plan around the club...just the style of play...it'll work well or it won't badly...up to the players

Das Hassler

Bench
Don't quite ...make that at all...get the stuff about ciraldo. As far as I'm aware we tried hard to get him..showed him around the place and made him a really good offer as did his former boss Gould....he decided to go with Gould. What's so humiliating about that?....what's the difference to the effort Brisbane...GC and I.believe the sharks put towards Bellamy only to have him stay where he was. Gotta move on

Vic Mackey

Referee
Everything I’ve seen and heard, I believe Benji is essentially already coach. Everyone I’ve spoken to who has been to watch a training session said that Benji was running iy. Sheens is more the face to take the media pressure off him.

BrotherJim05

Bench

Agree. I'm feeling a 9th year coming....which tbh is a huge improvement on the last two years

WA Tiger

Bench
I don’t believe Tim’s primary goal for this year is to play finals.
Sheens has no plans to miss the 8. It’s unlikely he ever has. Otherwise why get up in the morning.

And he knows the importance of top 8 for luring quality players to WT, including potentially Mitch..
Top 8 will be his equal primary goal along with whatever else he’s there for.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Everything I’ve seen and heard, I believe Benji is essentially already coach. Everyone I’ve spoken to who has been to watch a training session said that Benji was running iy. Sheens is more the face to take the media pressure off him.
I hate practical exams but I do learn more from them. Clever from Sheens. He’ll be watching Benji like a hawk.