What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 R20 Fri - Newcastle 34-18 Wests Tigers @ McDonald Jones

Round 20: Newcastle v Wests Tigers

• Newcastle Knights

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Wests Tigers

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
How that f**k does this game still have nearly 15 minutes to go WTF
I was at the game and felt the same way tbh.

We're probably a bit better than our ladder position suggests... but really not by much. Lost a few games on goalkicking. Just happy to get away with the 2 points and then forget this game really.

Woody90

Juniors
My useless serious rugby league opinion on the Knights is that Hastings is the wrong sort of half for them, between Ponga Phoenix and Gamble they have a good mix of creativity, randomness and solidness, what they need is an average consistent half with a high level kicking game, a Chad or Brooks type of player.

And their defence isn’t up to it and whatever the f**k his name is coach hasn’t shown enough to think he can ever fix it.

The spine has ended up being strange because the squad was built around moving Ponga to the halves but it obviously didn’t work so now they’ve had to throw together a makeshift halves pairing and Lachie Miller is being paid as a FG fullback to play reserve grade. Losing Brailey also killed us.

Might be an unpopular opinion but I don’t think the halves are the Knights major issue. We’re 4th for tries scored this year despite the spine madness and an average coach, so the halves must be doing something right. I know it’s mostly Ponga setting the tries up, but Hastings has done a pretty good job of leading the side around IMO. Ironically we tried to sign Luke Brooks but it was blocked and got sent Hastings as the consolation prize.

Bigger issues are the forward pack and the points leaked through the middle, coaching, first choice hooker getting a season ending injury yearly with no proper back up and obviously goal kicking.

mozza91

Coach
Hastings has been fine and Gamble has exceeded expectations. Our brain farts, shit goal kicking and Brailey getting hurt again is what’s cost us this season.

Hastings has been fine and Gamble has exceeded expectations. Our brain farts, shit goal kicking and Brailey getting hurt again is what’s cost us this season.

In the broad, I thought you guys played ok.

Some thoughtful attack on that right edge and precision handling at times.

Also good mindset, defence recommitting.

Good coaching.

mozza91

Coach

Good coaching.
We’ve definitely improved on last year that’s for sure. Our attack is as good as it’s been in years. I’m actually enjoying going to games and watching them which is a big upgrade on last season.

Woody90

Juniors
I actually don’t think the Tigers squad is that terrible on paper. Definitely bottom 8 but it’s not the worst.

Good coaching.
do not read to much into what players do down keopoa side if u checked he doesnt even wanna be there
hes not running for kicks,hes not even wanting to catch the ball he just doesnt care
and to'a is just as bad but he puts in when he has t he ball at least

I actually don’t think the Tigers squad is that terrible on paper. Definitely bottom 8 but it’s not the worst.
its horrible
maybe at full strength we are about a 4/10 good forward pack but we have a bad spine outside of our 9
bula is just a rookie and still learning hes gonna get better it just wont be with us cause im sure big clubs will try and steal our good players

Exsilium

First Grade
If sheens was a proper coach he would force the team to walk back to Sydney

I went to St Josephs College in Hunters Hill. The rugby training program was intense and if we ever dished up a game like last nights, the whole community would know cause we'd be doing laps around the local area. That and a sickening amount of stop/start exercises like Burpees and beep tests.

I went to St Josephs College in Hunters Hill. The rugby training program was intense and if we ever dished up a game like last nights, the whole community would know cause we'd be doing laps around the local area. That and a sickening amount of stop/start exercises like Burpees and beep tests.

Very powerful school.

I was 2nd XV myself back in the day, but not at the illustrious Joeys.

We were basically used as punishment battalion for our first grade squad. If you had a bad game, you had to slum it out with us.

My speciality was hospital passes.

But I’m a better person for having played the game they play in heaven. Character building!

Exsilium

First Grade
Very powerful school.

I was 2nd XV myself back in the day, but not at the illustrious Joeys.

We were basically used as punishment battalion for our first grade squad. If you had a bad game, you had to slum it out with us.

My speciality was hospital passes.

I could never crack the Firsts team. I was stuck behind several good players but they were generationally entrenched in the school. Made the bench once against Newington and then never saw the paddock.

Exsilium

First Grade
Weird that Staggs didn't latch onto that. Its the same dive he'd have taken at the toes of a love interest.

I could never crack the Firsts team. I was stuck behind several good players but they were generationally entrenched in the school. Made the bench once against Newington and then never saw the paddock.

At Joeys, surely a bench for firsts is considered marquee.

Would have at least commanded a respect nod from a passing prefect.

Good school, you’d be blessed to have that experience.