What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 R20 Fri - Newcastle 34-18 Wests Tigers @ McDonald Jones

Round 20: Newcastle v Wests Tigers

• Newcastle Knights

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Wests Tigers

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2023 - Round 20
Newcastle Knights v Wests Tigers
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal, New Lambton (TICKETS)
Friday 14 July 2023

Gates 5:15pm
NSW Cup 5:30pm
NRL kickoff 8:00pm
TV: Nine Network, 9 Now, Fox League, Kayo Sports

NEW2022TEAM.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Dominic Young 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Phoenix Crossland 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 13. Adam Elliott 14. Kurt Mann 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Jack Hetherington 17. Mathew Croker 18. Dylan Lucas 19. Enari Tuala 20. Brodie Jones 21. Hymel Hunt 22. Adam Clune

Changes from last match:
Out: Enari Tuala (centre)
In: Dane Gagai (centre)
Changes: Jacob Saifiti (front row to bench), Daniel Saifiti (bench to front row)

WST2022TEAM.png

1. Jahream Bula 2. Asu Kepaoa 3. Starford To'a 4. Tommy Talau 5. Junior Tupou 6. Will Smith 7. Brandon Wakeham 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. David Klemmer 11. Isaiah Papali'i 12. John Bateman 13. Fonua Pole 14. Jake Simpkin 15. Shawn Blore 16. Alex Twal 17. Alex Seyfarth 18. Daine Laurie 19. Aistasi James 20. Tallyn Da Silva 21. Justin Matamua 22. Brent Naden

Changes from last match:
Out: Tallyn Da Silva (bench), Aitasi James (bench)
In: Apisai Koroisau (hooker), Alex Twal (bench)
Changes: Jake Simpkin (hooker to bench)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Peter Gough
Sideline Officials: Cameron Paddy, Kasey Badger
Video Referee: Gerard Sutton

STATE LEAGUES
NSW Cup: Newcastle v Western Suburbs at McDonald Jones, Fri 5:30pm​

Last edited:
Put the two points in the bank, Knights unbackable.

Unbackable favourites.

The game that will revive Adam O Briens career and help him into origin next year!

And it’s not a popular view Killer, but I think he’s a pretty good coach and I’d love to have him in command of the wt.

He’s been dealt a bad hand by fortune.

Kilkenny

Coach
Unbackable favourites.

The game that will revive Adam O Briens career and help him into origin next year!

And it’s not a popular view Killer, but I think he’s a pretty good coach and I’d love to have him in command of the wt.

He’s been dealt a bad hand by fortune.
It’s one game. Knights can bank the two points. But the coach is a long way off being secure in his job.

This Year?

Immortal
Both sides looking to be getting into form so it should be a great contest.
Expecting big games from Klemmer, Utoikamanu and Blore. If somehow the Tigers outside backs don't leak like a sieve they are a good chance of winning.
Knights should be oozing confidence coming off a huge win and a bye, but I don't think it'll go all their way like the Bulldogs game.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I dont know why but for the last 3 years we've seemed to play our worst games of the year against the Knights, and considering how bad we are thats saying something. Hopefully Best has a niggle from last night and is rested, that might keep it within 20.

I dont know why but for the last 3 years we've seemed to play our worst games of the year against the Knights, and considering how bad we are thats saying something. Hopefully Best has a niggle from last night and is rested, that might keep it within 20.

I might be found out, but I’m not wholly uncomfortable with our side.

But we know that if the knights find their sweet spot, they are surprisingly good side and play above expectations. That’s something I really like about them and attribute to good coaching, when AOB occasionally gets their factory and non marquee right into the zone.

I think that’s why he’s still in charge yonder.

Unlike our coaches, still morris dancing, addicted to changing, around and around, no end in sight.

Statistically so far this year an 85% chance of losing.

Last edited:

Woody90

Juniors
I might be found out, but I’m not wholly uncomfortable with our side.

But we know that if the knights find their sweet spot, they are surprisingly good side and play above expectations. That’s something I really like about them and attribute to good coaching, when AOB occasionally gets their factory and non marquee right into the zone.

I think that’s why he’s still in charge yonder.

Unlike our coaches, still morris dancing, addicted to changing, around and around, no end in sight.

Statistically so far this year an 85% chance of losing.
Problem is we only ever play like that for games we're not meant to win (and even then we don't win, we lose by 1-4 points).

AOB is definitely not the worst coach in the world, but after 4 years I'd like to win some games. We're not bad bad, but the side is very inconsistent and doesn't seem to have any self-belief in getting the job done when the game is on the line. The head coach needs to be responsible for a lot of that. His obsession with Phoenix Crossland is also beyond strange, and placing all his faith in him when Brailey went down has really hurt our season.

The players seem to really like him though so I dunno. Maybe they're just accustomed to losing.

Friday night blockbuster. The Knoughts vs the Sniggers. Not even the return of Api will save the Sniggs.

The Knoughts by 2.5 googols.

Snuffering jinkderana.

Mullet neebis.

Spooky the cat, Loungey buddy, like the old days!

I hope @MugaB is phenomenating well these days. I warned all those smuggies 3 years ago that Edwards was the cats whiskers and no one believed me.

Last edited: